Online vs. In Person Relationships | INFJ Forum

Online vs. In Person Relationships

#@&5&49

Mar 4, 2012
MBTI
Inf?
Even if our brains can't distinguish online and irl relationships, doesn't mean that the difference isn't felt. For instance, I feel the distance very deeply, especially when people online are close. And I don't use the internet to court anyone - all "flirting" (whatever they mean by that) is done in full knowledge that the people are far away, and it's not serious. It's just joking around. It would be different if the other person were within reach and there were specific and honest intentions.

In contrast to the article I don't think online relationships are comparable to being offline. A part of it might be that I've never been on Facebook, and even if I used the internet in the 90s, I was already an adult when it really took off with the social media. So I'm not that comfortable with it.

More importantly, interacting online doesn't feel as intense to me as being sociable offline. It can also be a good thing, because at times I'm overwhelmed by attention and all the non-verbal cues, and if I meet people in the evenings it can be difficult to wind down to sleep. So I don't think my oxytocin levels or whatever would be the same.

Also, on the internet people control more how they appear to others. In real life I get a lot of information about the other person from expressions, the tone of voice, and the immediacy of communication which leads to revealing many things unintentionally. So the lack of non-verbal communication (except for memes & smilies which are also a very controlled way of conveying feelings) not only reduces the intensity but also makes trust more difficult to get because online it's easier to present yourself in a favourable light or to pretend you're someone else. If I spent 1 hour every day chatting with someone online for a month or the same time talking face to face, I'd presume that the second relationship is more likely to last.

Hm, I think online relationships can be very meaningful. There are quite a few people here who I count as real (whatever that means) friends. And I've known of a lot of couples who developed their relationship online.

That said, these things usually take a certain course when they get serious. There's a desire to be in each others presence, and often one person will move to live with their online partner.

We are all, according to Baudrillard’s theory, simulacrums of ourselves: fake humans living in a fake, mediatized world. In a mediatized world, the theory goes, real relationships are impossible.

I think questions to pose here are - what is "real"? What constitutes a relationship? If I feel something, whether it's caused by a human online or offline, is that feeling any less real? Is it fake? If I feel the same sorrow for a friend's suffering who I know online, as a friend offline... How is that not real?

I'm still interacting with a human being. I care for and worry about my friends just as deeply no matter how or where I know them. Would a friendly relationship cease to be a relationship, just because that friend moved across the world? No, at least not for me. I think there is still an innate human yearning to physically be with someone. To hear their voice, to be in their presence. This doesn't lessen the relationship, I think it merely means in some instances there can be a longing or desire for this (particularly with romantic relationships - of course I would want to be with my partner in person).

I do not think "real relationships" are impossible online. As mentioned, I'm still going to worry about, care, and love my friends, whether offline, or otherwise.

This is just a rough gathering of my thoughts, and I'd honestly been trying to think of how to articulate them since this was initially posted, so I'm sure it's a bit rambling, but - just my two cents. Might even just be one cent, lol, until I can articulate with more clarity.

I think loved ones are hard to come by, and if I insisted they were near to me physically I'd have nobody.

If you can cry that your grandma who lives overseas died, it's a short leap to loving someone who lives far away if you share all your life sorrows/joys.

Physical presence does give a way of interacting, and it is important to people to different degrees, but I think it's easy to imagine why it's not considered essential to developing deepest relationships by many.

I agree with hush because for me the experience is the same offline and online (the person's presence is felt immediately even if they are thousands of miles away and the perception was exactly the same when I ended up meeting some of these people.) However it's also true that things are more controlled and less intense online and this can be helpful in some instances - for example I will not be able to form a relationship with someone if I end up meeting them irl/offline first. Pretty sure this last bit is not common.

Also to expand, if one examines the sentiment behind love, it seems closer to "I'm so glad you exist" than "cool, we can do stuff together."
Think of eg loving a child. It's unconditional, more for existing at all, not because the child fulfills a pragmatic need. Online relationships are definitely compatible with this kind of love.

My tendency is to see this as closer to the spirit of love than anything pragmatic. Imagine an AI robot that could replicate any functionality you're interested in, like writing poems with you, playing tennis, solving physics... Soon you realize loving something for its function makes no sense -- you could always build a greater or at least another equal AI or something, so why love this one? Love the poetry, which is what you are really after. The machine producing it is unessential, only an implementation of the idea you're in love with.

To love a being, not idea, ultimately I think one has to for its own sake, with some hint of the unconditional love often given a child -- just for existing, not for any other property.
Or reject loving anything but ideas.

Online relationships definitely fulfill a part of socializing for me, but I haven't quite categorized them in my social circle. Online relationships are relationships to me simply because people are relating to each other, but they are their own flavor of relationship.

For me, online relationships are not as meaningful as relationships where I know people in person because I can't establish a complete connection without meeting people in person, but they're also not as casual as an aquaintance either. Online relationships are somewhere in between for me. Sort of like a pen pal from my generation, but a lot of pen pals at the same time, and your correspondence is often public rather than private.

It's true, there's no way of telling who you're corresponding with online and people can more easily misrepresent themselves for longer periods of time in an online setting. But deception and safety are issues in in person relationships also. Maybe if I grew up with social media and online relationships being a part of my life from day one, I might have a more concrete way of perceiving them.

Im certainly open to different perspectives. Bottom line for me, online relationships reach a point where I can't develop a deeper sense of intimacy without experiencing people's physical presence, hearing the intonations in a persons voice, seeing their facial expressions, looking into their eyes, hugging them, even smelling them (lol).

So, online relationships, while they are relationships, have physical limitations that get in the way of developing deeper levels of connectedness. It's almost an oxymoron in a sense, online relationships connect us to a larger social circle, but our social interactions don't have the connectedness that in person relationships have. Basically, we're more connected but not on a deep level. I'm not sure that makes sense. I'm still figuring this out for myself.

Edit: Not knowing people in person doesn't mean I wouldnt develop feelings of compassion and concern for them. It also wouldn't prevent me from offering or receiving emotional support, but there's just not a way for me to develop a lasting substantial bond with someone (friend or romantic partner) unless I also know them in person.

Last edited:
Also to expand, if one examines the sentiment behind love, it seems closer to "I'm so glad you exist" than "cool, we can do stuff together."
Think of eg loving a child. It's unconditional, more for existing at all, not because the child fulfills a pragmatic need. Online relationships are definitely compatible with this kind of love.

My tendency is to see this as closer to the spirit of love than anything pragmatic. Imagine an AI robot that could replicate any functionality you're interested in, like writing poems with you, playing tennis, solving physics... Soon you realize loving something for its function makes no sense -- you could always build a greater or at least another equal AI or something, so why love this one? Love the poetry, which is what you are really after. The machine producing it is unessential, only an implementation of the idea you're in love with.

I can't say I agree with you, but I'm kind of impressed by the difference in our perspectives. I'd say that loving someone it's hard to differentiate between being glad of someone's existence and the fact that we're doing something together, partly because sharing views is also an activity. If you take away all the functionality as you call it, there's nothing else left except a very generic type of love that is bound to ignore some individuality. So it's a question of what we think a human being is when all the activities are abandoned.

Regarding romantic relatinships, for most people love isn't about searching for a partner with the best functions or properties, because what matters is the shared experiences. Love is always temporal, which means that the times you've had together become meaningful and strengthen the relationship until it doesn't matter at all if you happen to meet someone more intelligent or handsome or whatever. Those properties gradually lose their importance compared to the personal history you have. Sometimes people do have lists of what they want in a potential partner, but when love has already developed they're not going to just swap partners upon finding more of those qualities.

In this sense I believe we're sort of on the same page. But I wouldn't say that online relationships can be closer to the spirit of love just because there's less doing things together. From your text it's actually hard to say whether you think love without the pragmatic aspect is more pure, but that at least seems to be the implication. Being with someone offline the happiness I feel regarding someone's existence isn't reduced just because I'm also glad to run in the woods together or to make out in the library. Yet I can't really say that you're wrong either, because there's no universal definition of what is the true spirit of love. You can say that these added activities are superfluous whereas for me they mean that love is becoming more intense, even if none of the aspects as such are essential to the experience of love.

Fidicen said:
I'd say that loving someone it's hard to differentiate between being glad of someone's existence and the fact that we're doing something together

OK, so the first thing that jumps out immediately at me is the term "doing" seems to be playing a large role in your claiming your view actually differs from mine. If you counted talking daily, sharing your life sorrows joys, exchanging love ... that all can be done long distance and frequently has to be when e.g. mom and son live in different parts of the world. Then the difference in our views would shrink or disappear, perhaps.

If you don't count that, I'd have to ask if you're somehow requiring people to be "active" despite people valuing that to different degrees. I mean, I for one in person just like low key stuff, like hanging out in coffee shops in talking, so it's very similar with what I'd do if we did a video-call together long distance and just hung out. I have spent time in person with people dear to me, and yes we're sentimental about that time because it's different, but the rest (even if we're talking just e-mailing about our days) is deeply emotionally invested/equally so to in person, and the only thing that changes is what we get to do together, not how invested it is.

functionality as you call it, there's nothing else left except a very generic type of love that is bound to ignore some individuality.

I strive for the highest understanding of people I know (and people in my circle tend to agree I understand their quirks quite in depth), so I don't think this is part of it. I'm not sure my caring of them is conditioned on their specific properties, though. After all, two people of very different properties can receive a very similar place in my life in terms of how intensely I care for them (much as a mother and a spouse could in a given person's life, despite having very different properties).

Also, to bring the love of a child back as an example, you love the child more or less not conditioned on the specific properties -- it's like you love first, and as PART of it you get to know them, and sure, as part of that you of course get to know the individual attributes.

Compare this to loving someone for the specific properties. That's what I think runs more into the objection of being replaceable e.g. by a superior AI. Compare loving a child BECAUSE they are intelligent. This, I can conceive of as replaced by a superior AI robot. However, this differs from loving the child universally, no matter what, but encouraging them when they do well in school.

I actually feel like you share my thoughts here somewhat at least, because you seem to concur about not just throwing someone away once you find something with more of certain properties.

Anyway, no matter what, I think the way I mean it, there is an element of the whole universality business involved in true love. Universality doesn't make it generic, because you do get to know the individual, but the nonpragmatic aspect to it is parallel to the point about not loving someone because of their properties but cherishing their individual properties as part of the more universal, unconditional sort of love....the love that is conditioned on and more or less one to one with certain properties is the part that can be replaced by the robot and/or another person, but the part about just loving as you would a child, independent of specific properties, is the part that you can't replace. Also, just to clarify, I think what I object to (in general, not saying this is your view) is calling online relationships not real love. I don't object that there are special things one can savor in an in person relationship, however. I just think when it comes down to it, you love the person, not a set of activities you can do with them, so you're going to enjoy spending time with them, and the details of how are not necessarily unimportant, but certainly secondary to just getting to be/exist side by side with them. That's the sense in which I emphasize it's different from looking for an activity partner to play tennis with (or a future superintelligent machine to play with).

Perhaps a comment to add is when you express that a big part of love for you is the temporal aspect, I see this as getting incredibly close to the idea of loving someone for existing at least as I mean it -- after all, a lot of what makes experiencing something different from the abstract idea is that the idea becomes temporal when we experience it, an event in our consciousness so-to-speak.
The more you love not just sharing life experiences with someone, vs more because of their possession of specific properties, well the more you can replace those properties with something even greater. To some extent you have to cherish just living life together, just *being* together. Else the replacement argument becomes very strong.

That is, the more you say that I love you BECAUSE I could share the experience of composing great poetry with you (ie it wouldn't work if you didn't have that property), the more you must look the same person in the eye and say look, if we could manufacture someone with superior poetic talents to you, as long as I can share the temporal experience of composing with them, I'd just love them more.
Personally I never understood how this is even love, so much as just wanting to experience cool poetry in a collaborative setting -- it seems the person is quite secondary and replaceable.
The more you make the person fundamental, and not replaceable, the more I think you approach my "just for existing" interpretation, whereby no cherishing of individuality is lost but where the individual attributes aren't the primary justification for loving. It retains your emphasis on temporality, though, so maybe this is still close to what you mean.

Notice what this does and doesn't imply: it does not imply that two identical streams of consciousness lead to my only needing to love one of them, as their properties are identical. Rather, because each bothers to exist, my view would say to love each fully. Again, your emphasis on temporality seems at least addressed in my view, even if not exactly as you would.
By basking in their individual properties, I am more fully fulfilling the description of loving just for existence -- after all, by doing so, I drink in their existence more fully, as those are part of what make them who they are.

But I wouldn't say that online relationships can be closer to the spirit of love just because there's less doing things together. From your text it's actually hard to say whether you think love without the pragmatic aspect is more pure, but that at least seems to be the implication.

Online is not deeper, nor is it less deep is basically my position. I am usually very skeptical of claims that say online just isn't real/associate them with a sort of warped understanding of love (BTW, about such topics I can agree there are multiple good ways to love, but it doesn't mean all ways are good.. some are warped/suffer from weird philosophical inconsistencies that I can't endorse.... I do tend to be more cerebral than many about this stuff).
What I CAN sympathize with is that some people may miss the in person aspect dearly, and that I can respect.

Hope that makes things clear!

Last edited:
OK, so the first thing that jumps out immediately at me is the term "doing" seems to be playing a large role in your claiming your view actually differs from mine. If you counted talking daily, sharing your life sorrows joys, exchanging love ... that all can be done long distance and frequently has to be when e.g. mom and son live in different parts of the world. Then the difference in our views would shrink or disappear, perhaps.

If you don't count that, I'd have to ask if you're somehow requiring people to be "active" despite people valuing that to different degrees. I mean, I for one in person just like low key stuff, like hanging out in coffee shops in talking, so it's very similar with what I'd do if we did a video-call together long distance and just hung out. I have spent time in person with people dear to me, and yes we're sentimental about that time because it's different, but the rest (even if we're talking just e-mailing about our days) is deeply emotionally invested/equally so to in person, and the only thing that changes is what we get to do together, not how invested it is.

I strive for the highest understanding of people I know (and people in my circle tend to agree I understand their quirks quite in depth), so I don't think this is part of it. I'm not sure my caring of them is conditioned on their specific properties, though. After all, two people of very different properties can receive a very similar place in my life in terms of how intensely I care for them (much as a mother and a spouse could in a given person's life, despite having very different properties).

Also, to bring the love of a child back as an example, you love the child more or less not conditioned on the specific properties -- it's like you love first, and as PART of it you get to know them, and sure, as part of that you of course get to know the individual attributes.

Compare this to loving someone for the specific properties. That's what I think runs more into the objection of being replaceable e.g. by a superior AI. Compare loving a child BECAUSE they are intelligent. This, I can conceive of as replaced by a superior AI robot. However, this differs from loving the child universally, no matter what, but encouraging them when they do well in school.

I actually feel like you share my thoughts here somewhat at least, because you seem to concur about not just throwing someone away once you find something with more of certain properties.

Anyway, no matter what, I think the way I mean it, there is an element of the whole universality business involved in true love. Universality doesn't make it generic, because you do get to know the individual, but the nonpragmatic aspect to it is parallel to the point about not loving someone because of their properties but cherishing their individual properties as part of the more universal, unconditional sort of love....the love that is conditioned on and more or less one to one with certain properties is the part that can be replaced by the robot and/or another person, but the part about just loving as you would a child, independent of specific properties, is the part that you can't replace. Also, just to clarify, I think what I object to (in general, not saying this is your view) is calling online relationships not real love. I don't object that there are special things one can savor in an in person relationship, however. I just think when it comes down to it, you love the person, not a set of activities you can do with them, so you're going to enjoy spending time with them, and the details of how are not necessarily unimportant, but certainly secondary to just getting to be/exist side by side with them. That's the sense in which I emphasize it's different from looking for an activity partner to play tennis with (or a future superintelligent machine to play with).

Perhaps a comment to add is when you express that a big part of love for you is the temporal aspect, I see this as getting incredibly close to the idea of loving someone for existing at least as I mean it -- after all, a lot of what makes experiencing something different from the abstract idea is that the idea becomes temporal when we experience it, an event in our consciousness so-to-speak.
The more you love not just sharing life experiences with someone, vs more because of their possession of specific properties, well the more you can replace those properties with something even greater. To some extent you have to cherish just living life together, just *being* together. Else the replacement argument becomes very strong.

That is, the more you say that I love you BECAUSE I could share the experience of composing great poetry with you (ie it wouldn't work if you didn't have that property), the more you must look the same person in the eye and say look, if we could manufacture someone with superior poetic talents to you, as long as I can share the temporal experience of composing with them, I'd just love them more.
Personally I never understood how this is even love, so much as just wanting to experience cool poetry in a collaborative setting -- it seems the person is quite secondary and replaceable.
The more you make the person fundamental, and not replaceable, the more I think you approach my "just for existing" interpretation, whereby no cherishing of individuality is lost but where the individual attributes aren't the primary justification for loving. It retains your emphasis on temporality, though, so maybe this is still close to what you mean.

Notice what this does and doesn't imply: it does not imply that two identical streams of consciousness lead to my only needing to love one of them, as their properties are identical. Rather, because each bothers to exist, my view would say to love each fully. Again, your emphasis on temporality seems at least addressed in my view, even if not exactly as you would.
By basking in their individual properties, I am more fully fulfilling the description of loving just for existence -- after all, by doing so, I drink in their existence more fully, as those are part of what make them who they are.

Online is not deeper, nor is it less deep is basically my position. I am usually very skeptical of claims that say online just isn't real/associate them with a sort of warped understanding of love (BTW, about such topics I can agree there are multiple good ways to love, but it doesn't mean all ways are good.. some are warped/suffer from weird philosophical inconsistencies that I can't endorse.... I do tend to be more cerebral than many about this stuff).
What I CAN sympathize with is that some people may miss the in person aspect dearly, and that I can respect.

Hope that makes things clear!

I see where you are going. Would it be faithful to your view to say that one truly loves others as ends in themselves rather than as means to ends?

So when we get to do an activity with someone we love, we do it because we love doing things with that person rather than "as a means to" engaging in the specific activity. The activity is just another expression of that love rather than a means of sustaining it.

I'm reminded once again of Montaigne's words about friendship: "If you asked me why I loved him, I could say no more that it was because he was he, and I was I." If we love somebody as an end in themselves then what we love is that person's being. What I'm not sure about is if we can reduce being to existence, though that's maybe another debate. At any rate I don't think this implies that we love the fact that a person exists, but rather that we love "that person, who is there" - and the "there" temporalises, but does not have to be physically near to us.

Last edited:
The different perspectives people have about online vs in person relationships is fascinating. Its definitely providing me with different ways to look at this and causing me to re-evaluate my own perspective.

It seems online relationships are whatever people need or make them to be. Meaning, everyone experiences online relationships differently. Not sure thats any different than the fact that everyone experiences in person relationships differently as well.

Also, there are social norms and such that dictate (to a degree) how people interact in different social settings, ie, job, club, family get together, etc. so, online relationships have their own set of social norms, cues, etc. just like any other social setting.

Lots of food for thought in all the posts!

OK, so the first thing that jumps out immediately at me is the term "doing" seems to be playing a large role in your claiming your view actually differs from mine.

Well it does, but in neither of the ways you suppose. The question for me isn't about whether love requires certain actions to be performed together, but about what an individual is if you forget all that. You seem to imply that there's a fundamental difference between existence and someone's actions, and based on that you can say that there's love that is more or less pure. But can anybody consider existence stripped of the meanings we give to it through actions? I can't even define my own existence except by referring to something I've done, the way I tend to do things (personality type is one way of seeing it), or some superficial qualities like eye colour etc.

I'm not disagreeing about the notion that love can't be replaced if there's a robot (or another person) who performs the same actions better. Rather, we seem to have an ontological disagreement regarding the foundations of love in the human condition. I said that if you forget doing things together, love becomes generic, but that's not because I would consider certain actions essential to love, but that my view of human beings is that usually I can't find anybody's existence in pure form that could be loved separately from the actions, and even if I do sometimes find such a thing the feeling becomes somehow abstract. It's possible to experience universal love, gratitude because I can see beauty etc., but that comes at the cost of sacrificing the individual and temporal aspects. For me all people, perhaps all creatures, are equally lovable if I try to consider existence as something pure and not related to our personal history. While that kind of approach is valuable, it's not what people want to hear from their significant other. "I love you not because of the things we've done, but because at heart your existence is just as indefinable as anyone else's, and I just happen to like existent things that may or may not be empty without the meanings created in our culture".

But getting back on topic, even if I did concede that existence can be loved separately, I'd still say that in online relationships there is less to be experienced and it's more difficult to love simply because the platform sets more limits on the experience, whether it's about seeing someone as they are or about doing things together.

Reactions: Ginny
Almost all the friends I've made over the last 15 years are people I rarely if ever see in person. Those friendships, those relationships, are as real to me as if those people lived right next door.

Would I rather see them in person more often? Absolutely. But I'm not going to drop those friendships or purposely settle for something less in trade for a higher percentage of quality time in meatspace.

I think questions to pose here are - what is "real"? What constitutes a relationship? If I feel something, whether it's caused by a human online or offline, is that feeling any less real? Is it fake? If I feel the same sorrow for a friend's suffering who I know online, as a friend offline... How is that not real?

All the roads lead back to metaphysics. ;)

I agree. I think friendship and love ultimately transcend physical presence.

I'll defer to Morpheus on this one:

comp-4010-lecture-2-presence-in-virtual-reality-5-638.jpg

How can you tell the difference between loving somebody and loving what you project that person to be?
By removing yourself physically and critically evaluating evidence. At least, that's how I'd do it. I think it's possible to feel logically.

And if you're mistaken? How would you know?

Also what's to love about anyone logically? And even if you can love logically then simply knowing about a person should be sufficient, should it not?
Of course it can happen that I am wrong. But that is the thing about interpretation, you aren't always right. If something goes wrong, it's most likely due to not having all the information needed. However, with a well-tuned intuition, a lack of information can be compensated. I'm not saying I have it, but I believe in it and gain more trust in it every day.

I didn't mean that the feeling is logical, but there is always a reason for our feelings, even if we don't recognise them in the moment. For me it goes like this: I intuit (which I don't always realise), I feel (which is sometimes when I react - I am quite impulsive in anger), and when I don't understand what or why I feel something, I analyse it later using Ti. Thus, I can say that I have never experienced an emotion without a logical cause for it. Be it because of misinterpretation at some point or not.

As for love, I have only ever experienced unconditional love for my family, and platonic love for a friend, and therefore cannot say anything in regard to love as a whole. Sometimes you just know it, without knowing the reason. But then it is up to you to find the reason, because I guarantee there is one. What I can say about a love I have felt, it is not really something that can be put down to a thing they did or some personality trait they possess, or something you can see by just looking at them. It was about the whole person, their "being". It is also something I am still exploring for myself, so you'll just have to bear with me on that.

Something I just thought of though: there's a difference between having a feeling, and loving someone. The feelings I spoke of above are situational, and short-termed. Love, on the other hand, is very much personal, intimate, and enduring. It may change faces over time, be influenced by experiences and situations, but a feeling like love towards a person is not temporary.