Obama's visit to Turkey | INFJ Forum

Obama's visit to Turkey

Creon

Community Member
Feb 13, 2009
MBTI
Lawful Evil
I don't know if the people in this forum enjoy politics and news, but I decided to post this thread. It's about the upcoming visit of President Obama to Turkey.

Turkey is an long time American ally, and a member of NATO. It's a vast country with strategic depth, and it's religion is Islam. Turkey's long time rival, and probably the only one except Armenia and PKK(Kurdish terrorist-branded group) is my country, Greece, also a member of NATO, and a member of the EU.
Greece and Turkey are rival states because of geopolitical reasons, with both countries claiming ownership over the Aegean Sea(their differences of course have expanded for political reasons into religion, history etc). For the past 20 years, Presidents of the United States, are accustomed to paying visits to both countries in order to avoid sending controversial messages. But not this time. President Obama decided to visit Turkey, but not Greece.

The first obvious reason for this move would be the troops in Iraq. They have to withdraw safely thought a country. Turkey is of course the only choice there, since Syria and Saudi Arabia arent exactly what you would call...safe. A second reason would be the fact that Israel, a long time U.S satellite state in the middle east, has lost much of it's diplomatic power because of the recent war, and because of the recently elected centre-right government,which will most probably create problems with its neighboring states. A third reason, would be that Israel is not enough to keep an eye to Iran. Iran would be essentially isolated if Turkey sides with the U.S against it, and Turkey could provide a very important corridor in the future. Turkey has also played the role of the mediator in many conflicts in the middle East (most of the times promoting American interests as well). Finally, Turkey is a valuable asset when it comes to opposing Russia, since they both "flirt" with the rich in Caspian oil Azerbaijan, with Russia funding the terrorist goup PKK against Turkey during the 90's, and Turkey funding Chechen terrorist groups that predominantly oppose Russia, again during the 90's.

Now even though it is obvious that Turkey has to be a U.S ally no matter what, questions arise on why should Obama not visit Greece as well, since both countries oppose Iran and are in favor of safe U.S troop withdrawal from Iraq. The answer is simple.

Turkey will give, in order to receive. Dealing with major issues like the PKK and the Armenian Genocide(which is a major political issue in Turkey), would make U.S assistance invaluable. Also, the fact that Obama does not visit Greece is probably a message to Greece, that it should expect more pressure from Turkey. Now, to many this may look like a simple trip, but there are people up in the Greek Diplomatic Corps pulling their hair right now as I write this. They try to find a solution to one of Greece's greatest diplomatic defeats since 1996.

Last edited:
The U.S. recently warned greek cypriots against continuing a policy which isolates the Turkish cypriots.

Whether this vist is related to what is going on in Cyprus could be a question.

I don't know if the people in this forum enjoy politics and news, but I decided to post this thread. It's about the upcoming visit of President Obama to Turkey.

Turkey is an long time American ally, and a member of NATO. It's a vast country with strategic depth, and it's religion is Islam. Turkey's long time rival, and probably the only one except Armenia and PKK(Kurdish terrorist-branded group) is my country, Greece, also a member of NATO, and a member of the EU.
Greece and Turkey are rival states because of geopolitical reasons, with both countries claiming ownership over the Aegean Sea(their differences of course are expanded for political reasons into religion, history etc). For the past 20 years, Presidents of the United States, are accustomed to paying visits to both countries in order to avoid sending controversial messages. But not this time. President Obama decided to visit Turkey, but not Greece.

The first obvious reason for this move would be the troops in Iraq. They have to withdraw safely thought a country. Turkey is of course the only choice there, since Syria and Saudi Arabia arent exactly what you would call...safe. A second reason would be the fact that Israel, a long time U.S satellite state in the middle east, has lost much of it's diplomatic power because of the recent war, and because of the recently elected centre-right government,which will most probably create problems with its neighboring states. A third reason, would be that Israel is not enough to keep an eye to Iran. Iran would be essentially isolated if Turkey sides with the U.S against it, and Turkey could provide a very important corridor in the future. Turkey has also played the role of the mediator in many conflicts in the middle East (most of the times promoting American interests as well). Finally, Turkey is a valuable asset when it comes to opposing Russia, since they both "flirt" with the rich in Caspian oil Azerbaijan, with Russia funding the terrorist goup PKK against Turkey during the 90's, and Turkey funding Chechen terrorist groups that predominantly oppose Russia, again during the 90's.

Now even though it is obvious that Turkey has to be a U.S ally no matter what, questions arise on why should Obama not visit Greece as well, since both countries oppose Iran and are in favor of safe U.S troop withdrawal from Iraq. The answer is simple.

Turkey will give, in order to receive. Dealing with major issues like the PKK and the Armenian Genocide(which is a major political issue in Turkey), would make U.S assistance invaluable. Also, the fact that Obama does not visit Greece is probably a message to Greece, that it should expect more pressure from Turkey. Now, to many this may look like a simple trip, but there are people up in the Greek Diplomatic Corps pulling their hair right now as I write this. They try to find a solution to one of Greece's greatest diplomatic defeats since 1996.

It makes me sad to know that the United States is taken so seriously. I live here and trust me, it's scary to know that just a visit from our president could be so important to another country.

The U.S. recently warned greek cypriots against continuing a policy which isolates the Turkish cypriots.

Whether this vist is related to what is going on in Cyprus could be a question.

I doudt that. Cyprus may be an ally of Greece, but it has little to do with U.S interests. Let's just say that that issue is not important enough to shape decision making in the U.S.

Edit Duty: The U.S is the sole remaining superpower whether we like it or not. There maybe others rising, but since 1989 international relations are more or less about their moves.

Last edited:
Late last year Greek/Turkish relations were improving in Cyprus. I'm guessing that Cyprus is the thermometer of Greek/Turkish relations.

It could be that it isn't in the U.S.'s interest that relations improve - so how do you provoke, without provoking? You visit one and not the other. ???

It could be that it isn't in the U.S.'s interest that relations improve - so how do you provoke, without provoking? You visit one and not the other. ???

Possible, yes. It could easily be a nice addition.

It makes me sad to know that the United States is taken so seriously. I live here and trust me, it's scary to know that just a visit from our president could be so important to another country.

Don't worry about it and don't be sad. Visits from the leader of any of the large economies to another country are usually full of meaning for the host country. On the one hand, it usually is an honour to receive these types of visits but as the OP state, sometimes clear political messages are being sent. It's what international politics and diplomacy is all about.

Don't worry about it and don't be sad. Visits from the leader of any of the large economies to another country are usually full of meaning for the host country. On the one hand, it usually is an honour to receive these types of visits but as the OP state, sometimes clear political messages are being sent. It's what international politics and diplomacy is all about.

I guess I have little patience for learning to understand such things. It seems so trivial to me. I've never had much appreciation for politics as a whole I guess...it baffles me that people can't get along.

Taz, I totally agree with you, the States have much more to gain from a sustained relationship with Turkey given the state of their affairs in the Middle East. It's unfortunate for relations between the two countries as it will certainly add to the divide but the President has stated that he wants to get the American troops out.

I guess I have little patience for learning to understand such things. It seems so trivial to me. I've never had much appreciation for politics as a whole I guess...it baffles me that people can't get along.

I feel you. Unfortunately, in these times, there are too many people on this planet with too many diverging interests. The best way to deal with it and avoid war, pain and heartache is through diplomacy.

I feel you. Unfortunately, in these times, there are too many people on this planet with too many diverging interests. The best way to deal with it and avoid war, pain and heartache is through diplomacy.

Right on.

But I prefer the world Duty envisions. Although I would probably be unemployed in that world...