Obama Care | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Obama Care

State of In employment
So if you work for the State of Indiana, your health insurance costs $35 per month?

So if you work for the State of Indiana, your health insurance costs $35 per month?
If you chose that package then yes

Well, at least under ACA with a HDP, all your annual and preventative is covered at no additional cost to you. Kiss that goodbye...

its covered under this plan if I recall, at no additional cost.

its covered under this plan if I recall, at no additional cost.
Under the new law, it would be if Indiana chooses to keep those essential benefits covered and not ask for a waiver from Feds to waive them.

Under the new law, it would be if Indiana chooses to keep those essential benefits covered and not ask for a waiver from Feds to waive them.
Not quite following, but what I was saying is that I already have that benefit for $35. Not the $200+/month that the ACA wanted me to pay way back when I was unemployed.

Reactions: acd
Not quite following, but what I was saying is that I already have that benefit for $35. Not the $200+/month that the ACA wanted me to pay way back when I was unemployed.
You didn't qualify for a subsidy or Medicaid/HIP when you were unemployed? Or they wanted you to pay $200/mo for HDP w/o subsidy if you were getting unemployment benefits for marketplace coverage? That was the cheapest plan you found on the marketplace for HDP? When almost lost my job earlier this year, I called and qualified for Medicaid as an unemployed person...(But I didn't need it because I ended up keeping my job.)

Idk.. I was glad the ACA was there when I thought I was about to lose my job... I had some decent options...

I don't think ACA is the end-all be-all, but if the US is going to refuse to get with the times and go single payer, at least people with pre-existing conditions and low income have options.

You didn't qualify for a subsidy or Medicaid/HIP when you were unemployed? Or they wanted you to pay $200/mo for HDP w/o subsidy if you were getting unemployment benefits for marketplace coverage? That was the cheapest plan you found on the marketplace for HDP? When almost lost my job earlier this year, I called and qualified for Medicaid as an unemployed person...(But I didn't need it because I ended up keeping my job.)

When I had graduated and was unemployed for like 6 months, the marketplace told me the cheapest price was a little over $250. There was no mention of a subsidy.

When I had graduated and was unemployed for like 6 months, the marketplace told me the cheapest price was a little over $250. There was no mention of a subsidy.
You didn't have any income though... You would have qualified for Medicaid because IN expanded Medicaid. I had to spend a little of time researching and calling them to get the info I needed. It wasn't a super easy process.

You didn't have any income though... You would have qualified for Medicaid because IN expanded Medicaid. I had to spend a little of time researching and calling them to get the info I needed. It wasn't a super easy process.
That could be, I haven't investigated the matter since. IDK what the ACA site looks like now, but I hope they broadcast Medicaid as an option instead of making me believe that I have to pay $200+ / month to not get fined at the end of the year.

That could be, I haven't investigated the matter since. IDK what the ACA site looks like now, but I hope they broadcast Medicaid as an option instead of making me believe that I have to pay $200+ / month to not get fined at the end of the year.
Yeah, that was not my experience. When I said I lost my job and wasn't on unemployment at that time, I qualified for Medicaid. Idk if it's because I also have a child, though. Not sure.. you should have at least got a subsidy! Because I even qualified for a subsidy when I called them another time because I didn't like the plans offered by my employer (they only offered a HDP.)

Last edited:
The funny thing about that fine is that in many cases it's cheaper than having insurance.

The funny thing about that fine is that in many cases it's cheaper than having insurance.

It seems quite incredible to me, that people who genuinely couldn't afford health insurance, can be fined for that. When someone is unemployed, sick, or just plain broke.

I hope I'm mistaken, but that seems barbaric.

Reactions: Skarekrow
giphy.gif

"We have a queue. Wait until it is your turn."

Liberals: the medical-industrial complex is to blame.
Conservatives: Big Gov is to blame.

Reactions: James
giphy.gif

Reactions: James and acd
It seems quite incredible to me, that people who genuinely couldn't afford health insurance, can be fined for that. When someone is unemployed, sick, or just plain broke.

I hope I'm mistaken, but that seems barbaric.

It's true. There are ways around it for low income people but there's a lack of granularity as to what "low income" is. Some people are in this spot where they're not poor enough to qualify for assistance but they're just poor enough for insurance to be a little too expensive so they end up taking the less expensive fine. Which comes out of your taxes so you can't really even refuse to pay it if you pay taxes.

Reactions: Skarekrow and James
The Senate’s version of the GOP health care bill, which Majority Leader Mitch McConnell unveiled last week, hasn’t had the smoothest rollout. Some 22 million more people would go uninsured under the Better Care Reconciliation Act by 2026, the CBO announced on Monday, essentially unchanged from the House’s version of the bill. The bill has been criticized both by conservative Republicans, such as Kentucky’s Rand Paul and Utah’s Mike Lee, and by relatively moderate ones, such as Maine’s Susan Collins and Nevada’s Dean Heller. Local newspapers have given it negative coverage. The American Medical Association opposes the bill, as does the AARP, while private insurers have had a mixed reaction. It’s gotten a mainly negative response from conservative intellectuals and policy wonks, although with some exceptions.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ng-13-dimensional-chess/?ex_cid=story-twitter

Reactions: Skarekrow