Ni vs. Se or N vs. S? | INFJ Forum

Ni vs. Se or N vs. S?

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by Gaze, Aug 19, 2010.

Share This Page

More threads by Gaze
  1. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Ni vs. Se or N vs. S?

Whenever I've taken the MBTI in the past, my results always leaned more towards N than S, but i've never really understood the real, daily, and observable difference, meaning "how this is seen or apparent in my personality everyday." I took it for granted that I was N, assumed it was true (since the test said so) but didn't really know the difference. I know that for the last 1 1/2 years posting online, I've developed Ni quite a bit, but I'm not sure N developed because i've been exercising N (meaning that I am S, but with Ni pratice, both N and S balanced out), or is it that I was always N, and that my Ni has just gotten better because of engaging in Ni related activities/exercises. Going to college developed Ti which maybe indirectly helped Ni.

So, i'm interested in learning more about N v. S. Of course, N-S is a spectrum so i know it's not as simple as you're either N or S, since we all have both and varies along that continuum.

But i welcome some descriptions of N vs. S.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Gaze, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    no takers? hmm

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DoveAlexa

DoveAlexa Chaz's Lovey Bunny
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    N is "Why" and S is "Is"

4. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    http://www.squidoo.com/intuitive-sensing

#4 Gaze, Aug 19, 2010
  5. BlinkandThink

BlinkandThink Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    FREE
    Enneagram:
    7w6
    So are you thinking you're a Sensor?

6. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    One thing i've been confused about is the truth vs. the feeling. How do you know that when you sense something as an intuitive, you're not simply processing information derived from the environment at a fast speed which would seem to be Se. I think this where my confusion lies.

The difference between the Intuitive as a function and being intuitive(using intuition) can be difficult to differentiate.

7. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    I'm just curious about understanding both.

8. DoveAlexa

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    S is a person taking apart a car to see how it works. They find each part, identify it using research, help from others, or experience and once they've figured out how it works everything is hunky dorie in their world. They can safely move onto something else.

N is asking why that car works. Why does the gas tank need to be so far away from the engine? Why does gasoline have to be vaporized in order to combust? They aren't satisfied that something just does something, they want to know why it works and if it can be another way. Ne will flit to each why and try and figure it out, or try-on many possibilities of configurations of a car within a shorter time than Ni, which will hone-in on one question and figure that sucker out till its good and dead.

#8 DoveAlexa, Aug 19, 2010
    BlinkandThink likes this.
  9. DoveAlexa

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Se = you are seeing things as they appear to be right then, no questions asked. An apple is an apple. You move on. Or you eat it.
    Ni = You see it as a "whole", full of meanings or feelings. The apple is an object once living, now food, once part of a tree, edible, occupying space, makes you feel [anything] to see it or be near it. You know its Ni when you don't even acknowledge that an apple is all of these things, because you took all these "facts" for granted. Ni = [to the above attributes of the apple] "Well duh, of course it is". Ni is full of rediculous depth that runs automatically.

10. BlinkandThink

BlinkandThink Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    FREE
    Enneagram:
    7w6
    For me (Ne), the apple is a story ... which connects to another story ... which connects to another story ... until we're on the moon.

11. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Ok. i think i understand. The technical stuff went way over my head though :D

But i get what you're saying about Se vs. Ni approach. So, sounds like Se is a sequential learner while Ni is a global learner.

This makes a ton of sense. So Ni takes things for granted? It knows so it assumes the knowledge or knowing is obvious?

12. DoveAlexa

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    It only takes its conclusions for granted, because we don't actively need to create them, they just appear. As for things outside of itself, or perhaps the internal stuff as well, not necessarily taken for granted. Just our millions of tags we stick on the world.
    Ni likes to turn things into an amalgam of concepts, so each object almost has "life".

So yeah pretty much what you said about assuming the knowing is obvious. Which is why we tend not to get why others don't see all we see in an object. We assume everyone must see these things.

A common S vs N conflict is this: N asks why, S says "what do you mean why? Stop being a dick!" Lol, not as harsh, but S's tend to not get why we have to question everything, or know more when they don't see all things as having more to them, or don't see how it gets you anywhere turning everything into more than it is at face value. S's with developed N will value it more, but still smack N back to a purpose if it gets out of hand.

#12 DoveAlexa, Aug 19, 2010
  13. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    thx Dove

Yeah, i tend to get frustrated and impatient *bad Anita* with someone if they don't "get it" or if it has to be explained using too many steps. I know i shouldn't but i think because some things are grasped so easily or seem more easy to understand, i take it for granted that if it's obvious to me, they should be able to see it too. I struggle with this big time, because it's important (for work) that i know how to explain things clearly so that others understand and apply. And I find that more and more I need to break things down to explain a concept which, to me, seems simple (not because i think that i'm somehow more capable) but because i assume they'd be able to pick up on it and see it too.

Thing is, it's hard to verbally explain something you intuitively know; especially information you learned by the natural intelligence you have compared to something which you learned by breaking it down in separate pieces of information. For example, when i write an academic paper, although i may plan out the paper/structure, etc., I can't write a good paper unless I freewrite and put my thoughts down based on what i think is important/relevant or valuable. there's a sense that i can't really write a good paper unless i can "feel" through my ideas, what sounds or seems right or perfect to my Ni. I intuitively know when something i'm writing or saying is incomplete or inadequate whatever my intentions.

#13 Gaze, Aug 19, 2010
  14. 88chaz88

88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I'm going to have to interject at this point.

Both S and N want to figure out the "why" of things. The difference is the way of learning.

The reason why S seems to take a "because it is" attitude over things is because S uses sequential learning. We don't try to take in the whole lot at once. We'll learn one thing, move on to the next, and so on. Whatever is out of squence we'll leave and come back to when it makes more sense.

Take us both learning about MBTI for example. You were trying to take everything in at once, as if you wanted to know it all immediately. I on the other hand didn't bother with the cognitive processes until I was absolutely sure of the basics.

To put it in basics, S is sequencial, seeing things as they come up and in detail. N is looking at everything at once.

When we say "it just is" what we mean is "it just is... for now".