Ni Power | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Ni Power

Ni Power be like
09694ebfd720a6fc8d3545f7cb84221d.jpg

I would agree. In my reading of Jung, I gather that in naming the cognitive functions, he was mapping out four generalized types of consciousness that are interdependent — all of which would ideally be equally developed in order to orient one to reality.He uses the analogy of a compass in this regard.
In my understanding, the point of “Jung’s Psychological Types” was to explore this idea of “the tension of the opposites” in the context of personality. The idea that individuation is about moving towards balancing our ability to use what ever function is most appropriate for a given task.
We’ve all heard Jung’s breakdown, from “A Theory of Psycological Types”, I think: (my paraphrase) Sensation says something exists, thinking tells us what it means, feeling tells us what it’s worth to us, and intuition tells us the possibilities and what can be done with it.
Personally, I wish more of the world could understand my internal Ni world. It’s rich in its own right and it’s where my comfort lies, but inferior Se is seriously problematic and has haunted me all my life. I have great admiration for Se/Si users.
P.S. I just reread this, and gosh, I sound like such an immature know-it all to myself but I’m gonna try to just leave it there and not obsess about a better delivery. I think I mean well and the whole topic makes me excited and alive. This is a very interesting thread.
Hey Erik, you don't sound at all like you said in your P.S. It's a complicated subject and if we don't share some of the details of what we are thinking then we would just misunderstand each other. And anyway, if we can't relax and do a bit of Ni/Ti looping here in the forum then what's the place for :laughing:.

I tend to the feeling that each of the functions carries equal weight in value, but different. To me, saying Ni is better than the others is a bit like saying a magnetic south pole is better than a positive electric charge - to pick up and run with your idea.

But then I understand where @David Nelson is coming from as well, because there is a richness to the experience of life that Ni brings with it that is unique. Where I differ is in saying that this makes it superior to the life experiences of people with different dominant functions - for me it's just different. But that's looking at it with an Fe perspective and saying that my life experience is of no greater value than anyone else's regardless of type. If I look at just myself, then I wouldn't change for the world - it's better for me by far than the others, but that doesn't make me better than anyone else as a result.

Hey Erik, you don't sound at all like you said in your P.S. It's a complicated subject and if we don't share some of the details of what we are thinking then we would just misunderstand each other. And anyway, if we can't relax and do a bit of Ni/Ti looping here in the forum then what's the place for :laughing:.

I tend to the feeling that each of the functions carries equal weight in value, but different. To me, saying Ni is better than the others is a bit like saying a magnetic south pole is better than a positive electric charge - to pick up and run with your idea.

But then I understand where @David Nelson is coming from as well, because there is a richness to the experience of life that Ni brings with it that is unique. Where I differ is in saying that this makes it superior to the life experiences of people with different dominant functions - for me it's just different. But that's looking at it with an Fe perspective and saying that my life experience is of no greater value than anyone else's regardless of type. If I look at just myself, then I wouldn't change for the world - it's better for me by far than the others, but that doesn't make me better than anyone else as a result.

Right on, man. I like your take on that and how you put it into words! Cheers, John.

Here's another take on "Ni" power I have, particularly in the dominant position. Ni-dominants can believe in themselves indefinitely. It's actually good and healthy for an Ni-dom to not take the Se-appearances, especially of themselves, too literally. In order to withstand anything or to keep going in the face of danger or loss, you must believe in yourself[I'm still a little hesitant about the "love yourself" mantra - but I get it. I don't think that is the full story-though for Ni-doms]. Ni-doms have the power to believe that they will make it through no matter what happens(Se).

Here's another take on "Ni" power I have, particularly in the dominant position. Ni-dominants can believe in themselves indefinitely. It's actually good and healthy for an Ni-dom to not take the Se-appearances, especially of themselves, too literally. In order to withstand anything or to keep going in the face of danger or loss, you must believe in yourself[I'm still a little hesitant about the "love yourself" mantra - but I get it. I don't think that is the full story-though for Ni-doms]. Ni-doms have the power to believe that they will make it through no matter what happens(Se).
Yes, I can relate to this. I think if others had had my life they would be either depressed or would be living a much more ‘compromised’ existence. This latter might be ok for them, but as an INFJ I think we struggle with compromise, unless we feel we really couldn’t do any better. Thus this can, linked to laziness/apathy, result in a delayed existence of endless dreaming and hoping. Ni also lacks the width of vision of Ne, so lateral possibilities (Ne) can be missed. A tunnel vision is the result. Growth is in awareness of this, and making the effort to see what possibilities are available NOW and not just what the future visions are. We can waste a life focussing too much on the future.

Last edited:
@David Nelson
I wanted to go back to your original question — “has anybody had these kinds of experiences?”

Although I’m an INFJ, I personally can’t relate to having precognitive dreams or intuitions, but my wife, an INTJ, has such intuitions and dreams with some regularity. I’ll share a couple. They are interesting and I know she wouldn’t mind.

My wife and I are currently in the process of selling our home. I loved one of the homes that we toured — it fit a lot of our criteria — but she she told me she had a sense of oppression come over her as she described it. As she processed that intuition, she began to suspect it may have had to do with something that happened in the house. The “oppressive” feeling took shape for her into a sense more of sadness and pain. She was able to find the names of the owner on Google and it turned out that the woman currently living in the house was elderly and lost her husband a year ago. She found an obituary. The man died of cancer. We imagined that perhaps he experienced a lot of drawn out physical pain and that perhaps the widow loved him dearly and struggled with his loss.

On another occasion, I think I’m 2019, my wife and I had some mutual acquaintances that were struggling with infertility. I think it was in August of that year that my wife randomly had a dream about the couple and that November would be an important and life changing month for them. We found out the next year that they conceived in November.

Last one I’ll share was a dream my wife had of someone she knew in high school. She said she hadn’t thought of this girl in probably 15+ years. In the dream the girl committed suicide. It really disturbed my wife. She looked up this old acquaintance and found her obituary. The woman had died within the last year. No cause of death was given in the article — which, of course, is common for suicides. That’s one we can’t coroberate, though.

No surprise, I take my wife’s intuitions seriously :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
@David Nelson
I wanted to go back to your original question — “has anybody had these kinds of experiences?”

Although I’m an INFJ, I personally can’t relate to having precognitive dreams or intuitions, but my wife, an INTJ, has such intuitions and dreams with some regularity. I’ll share a couple. They are interesting and I know she wouldn’t mind.

My wife and I are currently in the process of selling our home. I loved one of the homes that we toured — it fit a lot of our criteria — but she she told me she had a sense of oppression come over her as she described it. As she processed that intuition, she began to suspect it may have had to do with something that happened in the house. The “oppressive” feeling took shape for her into a sense more of sadness and pain. She was able to find the names of the owner on Google and it turned out that the woman currently living in the house was elderly and lost her husband a year ago. She found an obituary. The man died of cancer. We imagined that perhaps he experienced a lot of drawn out physical pain and that perhaps the widow loved him dearly and struggled with his loss.

On another occasion, I think I’m 2019, my wife and I had some mutual acquaintances that were struggling with infertility. I think it was in August of that year that my wife randomly had a dream about the couple and that November would be an important and life changing month for them. We found out the next year that they conceived in November.

Last one I’ll share was a dream my wife had of someone she knew in high school. She said she hadn’t thought of this girl in probably 15+ years. In the dream the girl committed suicide. It really disturbed my wife. She looked up this old acquaintance and found her obituary. The woman had died within the last year. No cause of death was given in the article — which, of course, is common for suicides. That’s one we can’t coroberate, though.

No surprise, I take my wife’s intuitions seriously :)

Cheers.
Very interesting. While Ni isn’t defined as spiritual or psychic, we may never know if there are things operating in this world of which we have no present explanation. Thanks for sharing!