Ni function development | INFJ Forum

Ni function development

U

Untitled

I found this description by Dario Nardi (INTJ) of how the Ni function develops through life and how dominant Ni differs from "the lesser Nis" ;) Aux & tertiary.

Example Lifecycle
Introverted Intuiting is more than a font of revelations, realizations, and inspiring visions. It is a cognitive process that we can actively engage to produce a sophisticated result. What happens varies depending on our psychological response when called to engage it.

NardiNi.jpg

The “stages” are for organizational purposes and reflect points along a continuum. Typically, if introverted Intuiting is dominant, then stages 1 and 2 show in childhood, stage 3 shows in adolescence and one’s twenties, and stage 4 hopefully shows somewhat later. Where we are is somewhat “fuzzy.” A thirty-something INFJ or INTJ may function at stage 3 on a daily basis, visit stage 4 during peak moments of creativity and leadership, and respond from stage 2 when under stress or playing around. Other personality types mature into introverted Intuiting more slowly and get less successful results. For personality types that use introverted Intuiting as a second, third or sixth function, an adult ENFJ, ENTJ, INFP, INTP, ISFP or ISTP would likely engage introverted Intuiting at stage 1 or 2, with peak moments at 3 if well developed.

Our human inheritance provides us with instinctual stage 1 experiences. For introverted Intuiting, archetypes and a capacity for mystical experiences are hardwired into the brain. For stage 2, culture provides both socially-normative and alternative ways for us to engage each function. Most “magic guides” such as tarot readers or secret societies are outside mainstream society but the culture provides these for us. In contrast, stage 3 is our personalized cognitive toolbox. It is diverse and sophisticated. We use it toward personal ends, whether to help solve a scientific mystery, creatively build a business, or further develop our human potential. Broadly, usage allows us to solve problems that do not yet exist and provides insights into issues we have not yet faced. (This is “active” foreseeing.) Stage 4 is a synthesis of the others. The result of engaging it shifts people and paradigms, and produces heroic results.

Note: A person “engages” a function. This does not necessarily mean the person consciously decides to use the function. Rather, the person as an organism or whole system is engaging in the function. A person might engage a function unconsciously. This definition moves us away from thinking of functions as entities or “homunculi” that act separately from the organism.

http://www.darionardi.com/functions.html
(CLick on the image to read the description)
What are your thoughts on it?

Attachments

• NardiNi.jpg
    NardiNi.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed how Stage 2 is described: "rely on a symbolic action to transform".

I would really like to know a further explanation of Stages 3 and 4:

What is meant by partnering with one's unconscious?

I have created "insights into problems and issues," but how do I check whether these insights are "complex" and "not yet encountered"? Does "not yet encountered" mean that other people in the conversation have not verbalized the same insight?

What exactly is meant by an "insight"? A solution? A new way of thinking about the problem?

Thanks for the link [MENTION=4982]Reverie[/MENTION]. Makes sense. Seeing it written down is so nice because it normalises this experience that we Ni freaks have all the time but others would say was carzy.

I enjoyed how Stage 2 is described: "rely on a symbolic action to transform".

I would really like to know a further explanation of Stages 3 and 4:

What is meant by partnering with one's unconscious?

I have created "insights into problems and issues," but how do I check whether these insights are "complex" and "not yet encountered"? Does "not yet encountered" mean that other people in the conversation have not verbalized the same insight?

What exactly is meant by an "insight"? A solution? A new way of thinking about the problem?

Im taken liberties here with the author's meaning- but here goes:
Insight- is pretty much along the lines of what you're thinking. A fresh perspective, a deep understanding, an ability to discern the root of a problem, realising a truth, comprehending something in a way which allows you to see it from many perspectives and into the problem itself. Insights can be solutions to problems, but they can also be questions, or aspects of a situation that were previously hidden

Freely produce complex insights into problems and issues not yet encountered- Being able to dissect, understand and solve a problem/issue that you have not personally encountered yet. It could be an issue someone else is facing, something that may occur in the future, predicting a possible outcome for a situation- both local and global, an issue outside of your culture or time etc. Basically being able have insight into something that you have not necessarily had personal exposure to and experience with.

Create by partnering with the unconcious - Everyone creates their reality unconsiously through their personal understanding of the world, their beliefs, thoughts, emotions and actions. While everyone does this, they may or not be aware of it or their personal ability to create. Ni enables us to be aware of this process, to understand it and use it to create in a way that is more productive, meaningful and fulfilling to us. The unconcious becomes the concious- it is no longer unknown and actually becomes a part of us, something that we can embrace and use actively.

Reactions: knight in battle
[MENTION=4956]Asarya[/MENTION]
I know. it's a good thing the other Ni freaks (INTJs) are so empirical. ;D We get absolved kind of as a bonus.
I loved your explanation of the meanings.
I think Dario Nardi has done a great job at putting our dominant function into words and made it kind kosher. I'm going to order his book The neuroscience of personality ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/0979868475/?tag=infjs-20 )
His tentative EEG experiments combined to type theory are yeilding some interesting results. If you have time this is a really interesting presentation:
[video=youtube_share;MGfhQTbcqmA]http://youtu.be/MGfhQTbcqmA[/video]

Cheers [MENTION=4982]Reverie[/MENTION]. Im looking foward to watching it. Hopefully I'll get some time early next week. The neuroscience of personality is one of my favourite interests

Stage three and four sound slightly more familar to me than the first two, for what its worth.
But even those two stages sound a bit extreme... to use Ni feels normal to me, and thus sort of ordinary.

[MENTION=2746]Tactical Panda[/MENTION]
Well it would be pretty logical that it would sound familiar. :) I can personally relate to all of the stages and also looking back see them unfold in my own story in the kind of stages Nardi described. I just haven't seen these experiences and talents formulated in such a lovely concise way before. They are a part of my core but this is a part that has been undiscussed and undisclosed in my life and kept under wraps because frankly I haven't been able to properly identify they are not a usual skill or argue how these skills are useful or have any type of objective merit. Sometimes something that's so everyday to you, you don't even notice it yourself is the one thing that sets you apart and makes you useful to your fellow human beings. I'm just really stoked about this wonderful description.
What really fascinates me as well is matching the areas of the brain that are particularly INFJy and see how they correspond to the areas mapped and attributed to the experience of spiritual phenomena, like in this documentary http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/godonbrain.shtml. I still haven't ordered the book though. :) Definetly on the "To do list".

Stage 3 really really hits home with me.

Stage 3 really really hits home with me.
I can kind of place that turning point in my life when the "stage 3" began to kick into gear so to speak...I had an epiphany of some sorts where I began to realize I could embody these characteristics to empower myself. I was coming into my late teens from a very unhappy childhood and I was at my lowest point personally. I realized that I could identify and find all these qualities within me I could amplify and bring forth to get things done and to become more effective. I managed to move past my shyness and become more alive and involved in my life.
I think now I do actively "partner" with my unconscious by working mentally to heal myself. I read up on mythological, archetypal characters, like let's say Inanna if i need to be in charge, and images that portray strenght to kind of contemplate on the up and coming issue with myself already "tuned" to it. I'm just now formulating this...I don't think I've much analyzed it before... ;D This and I write down dreams, write poems and then rtead them later to examine them and observe myself mentally "from a far" looking at my own thoughts to see what may be going wrong if I'm in trouble. :)