New Girlfriend is Friends with her Ex?! | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

New Girlfriend is Friends with her Ex?!

@RunDeep your concerns seem legitimate to me, and if there is something in a relationship that is troubling you, it is wise to discuss it. Not discussing it is far more unhealthy. It's your relationship and it's of course up to you to decide what you do, or don't want to do. Personally if I was in a new relationship and my ex was getting in touch like that, I'd have at least told me new partner upfront so they didn't discover it the way you have.

I wouldn't do it myself, and if I were you, unless I heard something convincing, that would be a boundary issue for me. At times people have no choice due to children etc, but to stay in contact with ex's, but what you describe sounds more than a little odd. To some people monongamy or fidelity is essential in a relationship, to others it isn't.

@slant this subject seems to have really got under your skin ? For someone who insists the OP is being very controlling, you seemed to be trying very hard to 'control' how he should deal with his relationship. Have a look at your language etc? How you want to be in your relationships is up to you, how the OP or others want to be in theirs is up to them and their partner(s).

@RunDeep your concerns seem legitimate to me, and if there is something in a relationship that is troubling you, it is wise to discuss it. Not discussing it is far more unhealthy. It's your relationship and it's of course up to you to decide what you do, or don't want to do. Personally if I was in a new relationship and my ex was getting in touch like that, I'd have at least told me new partner upfront so they didn't discover it the way you have.

I wouldn't do it myself, and if I were you, unless I heard something convincing, that would be a boundary issue for me. At times people have no choice due to children etc, but to stay in contact with ex's, but what you describe sounds more than a little odd. To some people monongamy or fidelity is essential in a relationship, to others it isn't.

@slant this subject seems to have really got under your skin ? For someone who insists the OP is being very controlling, you seemed to be trying very hard to 'control' how he should deal with his relationship. Have a look at your language etc? How you want to be in your relationships is up to you, how the OP or others want to be in theirs is up to them and their partner(s).
Tbh I was very drunk when I wrote all of that lol

Thank you for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it all the wise words. :blush: So I talked to Emily about the issue today and she said that she suspected it bothered me and was going to bring the subject up on her own. She said that she completely understands where I am coming from, and then I asked her if she would approve if I was still friends with any of my ex-girlfriends. She said that she would probably feel bothered by it and that she knows she needs to cut things off with her ex. I really do have a such a sweet, understanding girlfriend! She's amazing.

Now for the bad news. Tonight she texted her ex to tell him that they needed space now that she was in a new relationship, and how it wasn't fair to me. Her ex completely freaked out and got mad, sent her a bunch of texts saying that I was a controlling douchebag who "was going to wreck her life". He called her and left her a voicemail crying and kept repeating how much he needed her in his life, and basically hinting around at committing suicide if she stopped being his friend. Emily got really scared and freaked out, understandably, not knowing what to do. Clearly, he has a few issues and I do feel bad for the guy. But his reaction showed me just how unhealthy this friendship is. Threatening suicide is manipulative and guilt-tripping. It's not a good situation for either him or Emily. And now the ex asked Emily if he could talk to me? It appears we have a whole different situation to deal with. *sighs* I'm with her right now actually, and we have been dealing with this for the past 2 hours or so. It hasn't been resolved yet.

Last edited:
I think a smart girl like Emily can spot the irony here and see which one of you is the 'controlling douchebag' who will 'wreck her life.' The boyfriend who openly and honestly expressed his concerns or the ex who threw a fit, threatened suicide and who let her know his opinion of the current boyfriend only when his interests were threatened.

Seems like he did the both of you a favour by showing you exactly what kind of person he is.

No kinder way of doing it than just doing it. Shut the door, he'll be alright. He's not taking responsibility for his own life and wants someone to attach to. Still it's no reason for making others responsible for his happiness.

Thank you for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it all the wise words. :blush: So I talked to Emily about the issue today and she said that she suspected it bothered me and was going to bring the subject up on her own. She said that she completely understands where I am coming from, and then I asked her if she would approve if I was still friends with any of my ex-girlfriends. She said that she would probably feel bothered by it and that she knows she needs to cut things off with her ex. I really do have a such a sweet, understanding girlfriend! She's amazing.

Now for the bad news. Tonight she texted her ex to tell him that they needed space now that she was in a new relationship, and how it wasn't fair to me. Her ex completely freaked out and got mad, sent her a bunch of texts saying that I was a controlling douchebag who "was going to wreck her life". He called her and left her a voicemail crying and kept repeating how much he needed her in his life, and basically hinting around at committing suicide if she stopped being his friend. Emily got really scared and freaked out, understandably, not knowing what to do. Clearly, he has a few issues and I do feel bad for the guy. But his reaction showed me just how unhealthy this friendship is. Threatening suicide is manipulative and guilt-tripping. It's not a good situation for either him or Emily. And now the ex asked Emily if he could talk to me? It appears we have a whole different situation to deal with. *sighs* I'm with her right now actually, and we have been dealing with this for the past 2 hours or so. It hasn't been resolved yet.

Glad you were able to come to an understanding. Now go and vanquish her ex in an 80'S ARM WRESTLING CONTEST!!!! There's absolutely no better way to put the nails in his coffin.

I personally feel that it's a great thing if you can remain friends with your exes. I'd like to be friends with my ex, but he wanted time apart first (which I do think IS a very good idea). Maybe it's less appropriate because one of them is with someone now, and the other isn't... but I still think they should be allowed to be friends. It does sound like he's rather obsessed with her/still likes her, but hmm. I mean it's perfectly fine for you to be feeling those feelings.

I guess for me, I've always strongly felt that no one should really get in the way of who you want to be friends with. If you deem them worth your time, that's your choice and your other friends, family, significant other(s) shouldn't have a problem with it- or, shouldn't make a problem about it. Because here's the thing; yes, they may have had sex. But before they had sex, they were friends. Friends are not always easy to come by- people you get along with and can talk to are not always easy to come by. To me it's not really fair to make someone give that up because you don't want to think about what they did together. You had sex with other people too, I'm assuming, so what's the big deal? I know it's not fun to think about it, but anyway.

I mean I'm still great friends with my friend's ex girlfriend- and pretty much everyone in his family is, including him. Is it awkward for his new girlfriend? Probably! But life is awkward.

But those feeling you're having suck, so sorry you have to deal with this. But if you trust her; trust her. I don't think it's really disrespectful for them to remain friends. If he tries to make a move on her- THAT's disrespectful, or whatever. Or if she does the same to him. But I don't think being friends with your ex should be a problem.

Reactions: slant
This thread has renewed some faith in humanity in me.

So it's been about 2 days now, and the ex sent me a message on Facebook. lol Basically telling me that him and Emily are "best friends" and that I'm mean to not be comfortable with it. I responded and said that I never told Emily to stop being friends with him, but that she made that choice because she respects and cares about my feelings which I expressed. I told him that I empathize with him but that he should not take it personally. This is just a natural step of moving on IMO.

Despite Slant being a bit drunk in parts, there was some rational arguing, solid advice, and a positive conclusion to the OP- and on the Internet of all places!

Wow, first of all, this was a great thread. I took the time to read all the posts before stating my own two cents and impressions.

I have been struggling in my own right with dating my boyfriend who maintains a pretty frequent connection with his ex of 3 or so years. (Maybe 4? I forget).

As a background on myself before I dive into the topic,

It has been a little over 3 months now. It moved unusually fast, on both sides - we've discussed it. We were exclusive boyfriends about 3 weeks in, which is quite uncharacteristic of ME, in particular. I don't like the sensation of feeling like I'm trapped, especially with someone so new. For background - I was a lot more sexually active than him and I was engaged with a few Friends with Benefits upon the time of our meeting. Because I really liked him, and where I thought it might lead to, I disengaged from all of my friends with benefits in the sexual way, even before his proposition of "boyfriendhood." Simply because the thought of my own character of engaging in a sexually intimate way while I had the potential to be "into" someone on a deeper level made my own thoughts about myself squirm with feelings of low-integrity, which I like to pride myself on is not the case. With the FwB's: I knew their motives, and they knew mine. We were friends who had sex, and that's it. I know how to guard my feelings well enough to know that sex does not mean anything more than pure sex unless that "deeper" spark is there and you allow it to effect you. I have been engaged with FwB's before in the past, and I have suspicions of one of the ones I "broke off" with recently, where they accidentally(?) caught feelz for ME and well, I wasn't there and I had to disengage - because I just wasn't "there" and wasn't ever going to be, really. The FwB-game is a dangerous game sometimes for that reason.

Now, to the topic at hand.

So again, it was fast, but comfortable so because we both felt we had a good connection. Now to frame this appropriately - he was always very open and frank that he was still friends with his ex - even on our first date. While the thought of that for me is so foreign, because both my past breakups of an actually "relationship" nature were either terribly bad or just simply not good but not terrible (I would still see him at a local gay dinner event on Tuesdays and we were cordial and polite, but nothing more). Foreign and slightly disturbed didn't warrant my not trying, so I continued on anyways. I was unaware of the depth of which they were friends, though. During the first month and 1/2 of the relationship, I became increasingly more aware of this on a deeper level. To be honest, It did effect me. Especially about 2 months in when I found out, by asking, that his Ex was unaware of MY presence. I didn't appreciate that and it really hurt my feelings that he was unaware. Especially since all his other friends knew but he was insisting his Ex and him were just friends was a lot of my hurt. I get that there's more to that, but the feeling was palpable and not dismiss-able. I felt like I was being hidden and made me question how I felt about things between us as a whole, and his attachment to his Ex as well and the attachment of his Ex to him. He expressed why this ended up being the case, and I was very confident that what was going on as to why he didn't was nothing more than what he said. It's a long story that is probably not appropriate to share on the internet. However, they do not live in the same city, have never lived together, and the circumstances of their breakup (my current boyfriend was the one who ended it), made me feel secure enough to believe without doubt that his motives were stemmed from nothing more than what he said.

I don't, personally, see why the premise of "because they had sex" is a deciding factor for the discomfort. By saying this, though, I'm not saying it isn't a valid reason for the people who have stated such. It just doesn't effect ME. At least with me, I've had sex with...well...a lot of people. So I mean, it would be silly for me to frame my thinking in that manner. FwB is still a relationship, and I am detached friends of a platonic nature with 2 of them still. Though we don't hang out, more of a "how ya' doin?" infrequent message of friendly interest on both sides. In turn, if my boyfriend decided to feel inclined to ask me to shut off those relationships, I'd take a much more "How the fuck dare you." approach. Expressing discomfort, and asking/telling them to do something because of discomfort are two ENTIRELY different things. As to what was also said by someone in the thread. It IS controlling to declare someone to be unable to see someone, for any reason (other than abuse related instances). You can't control people, and especially shouldn't in a romantic relationship. So I am aware of my needs for freedom and that of his in how I talk to him about it. I just think it is only fair, to the both of us, for him to know that it does effect me, and please - I trust you, don't hurt me.

To the person who said it's not a matter of trust. It's not. I trust my boyfriend. Scarily so. I've never felt like I could trust someone in a romantic relationship as much as I currently trust him. It is more a matter of appropriate - definitely. I do not feel it is appropriate for a REAL-DEAL Ex to be involved in any way other than the cordial politeness, assuming children aren't involved. (I get that people have differing ideals on this, this is just mine). Is that enough to warrant dissolving the relationship? Not in my opinion. So I'm not going to. I expressed how I felt about it, and that I'm uncomfortable with his seeing him when he returns home to visit with his parents and visiting with friends in the area and that he may be there, or that he may want to visit with him. There's not much else I can do. I asked him to be open and honest and frank about his engagements and intentions where his ex is involved and I can ask for nothing else. To be fair, as far as I know, he always has been, even prior to my asking of such. Which affirms the trust I place in him, in general, not just on this topic. With his ex now knowing of my presence, and if I am to believe my BF's relaying of information of how his Ex reacted to it, (which I do), I feel much more confident in the arena that they are "Just friends." Though, it really isn't just that simple is it? "Just friends" that get each other in an intimate manner far more than I currently know him... But that's just jealousy and I know that it is. I'm an adult, I know how to manage my emotions. After all I am a glorious INFJ *rolls eyes playfully*. But then again, that can be said for all of his long term friends, no? That's how I reconcile it.

Wow, I deeply apologize for that being so long. This topic helped me, truly. I needed to read to see both sides of the argument and I apparently was more effected than I realized. I thank you for the opportunity of at least putting that to paper, even if no one reads it.
~Zafronio25

First of all, @slant that is a classic excuse you can't blame it on the alcohol. Alcohol is like a truth serum so you said it and you believe it.

Anyways this ex seems like a real "Nice Guy". How can you live with yourself after you tell another man that he is being mean? haha. I would just laugh and laugh.

I also have to question the girlfriend, like she is totally clueless. Well really not because this is typical non-committal female behavior. I think that you and this gal are from two different worlds and I don't believe she is really looking for a committed relationship. I think she is still hedging her relationship bets. I guess I am friends with my ex's but friends as in I am polite if I see them out and about, not friends like I want them in my life. I try to avoid them if at all possible really. Did she plan to invite him to the wedding? The whole situation just seems silly to me but I guess that's what happens when you get old.

First of all, @slant that is a classic excuse you can't blame it on the alcohol. Alcohol is like a truth serum so you said it and you believe it.

Anyways this ex seems like a real "Nice Guy". How can you live with yourself after you tell another man that he is being mean? haha. I would just laugh and laugh.

I also have to question the girlfriend, like she is totally clueless. Well really not because this is typical non-committal female behavior. I think that you and this gal are from two different worlds and I don't believe she is really looking for a committed relationship. I think she is still hedging her relationship bets. I guess I am friends with my ex's but friends as in I am polite if I see them out and about, not friends like I want them in my life. I try to avoid them if at all possible really. Did she plan to invite him to the wedding? The whole situation just seems silly to me but I guess that's what happens when you get old.
Oh no I do believe it. I just wouldn't have been so aggressive about my points had I been sober.

Reactions: Rcs6r
I have broken up with someone because he couldn't drop his ex. Her presence lingered and the relationship became a drag. I'm a jealous person.

Last edited:
Well, good to hear it goes well. And that the ex shows his cards.

I hope both you and your Emily recognizes this for what it is-- gaslighting and an attempt to spin the narrative.

If I were you; I'd reach out to your friends;
Also printscreen the messages. Keep the receipts-- if this fits the pattern, he'll start to tarnish your name and paint you as a bad person.

Reactions: Bellosome