^_^
Retired Staff
Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Still, if many in the business world value new hires with a humanities-focused education, they’re not compensating them accordingly. The Georgetown study found that average salaries for recent humanities and liberal arts graduates were $31,000, which ranked 12th of the 15 majors that the study examined. Only recreation, arts, and psychology/social work graduates fared worse, at $30,000; engineering grads topped the list at $55,000. That and the soaring cost of higher education today are why one community college president thinks students should be making more financially realistic choices about their degree program. “If your passion is public service driven by a liberal arts degree, Lord knows that’s critical for the country,” says Tom Snyder, president of Ivy Tech Community College in Indiana. “But the typical job [in that area] is going to pay $35,000 a year, and a [college] debt load equal to that will be a long burden if not a lifetime one.”

Article is here: http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2013/01/09/Jilting-Liberal-Arts-Can-Hurt-the-US-to-a-Degree.aspx#1JGF89qQDoZHBlpe.99

This is pretty much my dilemma. I have a liberal arts degree (in philosophy) and am now about half way done with my with my masters in public administration. For those of you who don't know, the MPA is a degree aimed at teaching you how to run a government or nonprofit agency. Half of the required coursework is microeconomics and statistics based (i.e. public finance and public policy), and the rest of the required coursework is management theory and budgeting. I also have a large amount of student loan debt, and it is going to take me a long time to pay it off.

Unfortunately, the MPA degree is not particularly well regarded even in government, and by that I mean that I have yet to see a job where they would not rather have a business/finance/accounting person with the exception of being a city manager. The city manager is the top executive of a city, and yes they do get paid well, but the positions require a significant amount of experience and also have a very high turnover rate. So it is not realistic to hope to do that anytime soon if ever, and this is something few people realize when comparing this degree to other graduate degrees. They mistakenly overestimate the value of the degree based on the salaries of city managers.

I do have a rare paid internship in the field currently, but even with it, I am afraid that job prospects are not so great for me when I am finished. I guess I headed in this direction because I did want to do something important and maybe even beneficial for society while gaining a more practical skill set that would lead to a career, which is a very INFJ thing to do I think; however, I am disappointed on both counts (but still nowhere near as disappointed as I am with undergrad, which is another story). I did not sign up for the program out of idealism. I did it to have a career path, but essentially the degree wont guarantee a career path.

It does seem more and more that the world outside academia really is limited to commerce, medicine, and engineering, and even though that is not really the case, it has effectively become a self-fulfilling prophecy because people believe it to be so. There is massive potential to improve the government and nonprofit sectors (and society by extension), but I do not think that potential is going to be realized anytime soon if ever.

So I have been contemplating doing finance. What this would mean is doing some prerequisite work and some work on my own, and then either doing attempting the chartered financial analyst track (which deals with investment management), doing a masters in finance, or both. The chartered financial analyst track is really more focused than the masters degree, so I still haven't given it full consideration yet. I would take any job I could get after I finish my current one (hopefully one financially related, which might be feasible) and then work toward the professional degree probably in a couple or few years after earning money.

I don't know what I am trying to ask here. Going to college has effectively destroyed any idealism or hope I ever had for anything, and I am depressed and angry at myself for doing what I thought was good instead of what is socially acceptable because it appears that those are mutually exclusive. I switched from economics (and then sociology) to philosophy as my major because I was so sick of being forced to endure even more memorization/regurgitation based coursework. I had enough of it in high school. I gave up before I started on advanced study in philosophy, which is also another story.

Thinking about this all has been making me so miserable lately. The prospect of becoming a hermit is increasingly appealing.

Article is here: http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2013/01/09/Jilting-Liberal-Arts-Can-Hurt-the-US-to-a-Degree.aspx#1JGF89qQDoZHBlpe.99

This is pretty much my dilemma. I have a liberal arts degree (in philosophy) and am now about half way done with my with my masters in public administration. For those of you who don't know, the MPA is a degree aimed at teaching you how to run a government or nonprofit agency. Half of the required coursework is microeconomics and statistics based (i.e. public finance and public policy), and the rest of the required coursework is management theory and budgeting. I also have a large amount of student loan debt, and it is going to take me a long time to pay it off.

Unfortunately, the MPA degree is not particularly well regarded even in government, and by that I mean that I have yet to see a job where they would not rather have a business/finance/accounting person with the exception of being a city manager. The city manager is the top executive of a city, and yes they do get paid well, but the positions require a significant amount of experience and also have a very high turnover rate. So it is not realistic to hope to do that anytime soon if ever, and this is something few people realize when comparing this degree to other graduate degrees. They mistakenly overestimate the value of the degree based on the salaries of city managers.

I do have a rare paid internship in the field currently, but even with it, I am afraid that job prospects are not so great for me when I am finished. I guess I headed in this direction because I did want to do something important and maybe even beneficial for society while gaining a more practical skill set that would lead to a career, which is a very INFJ thing to do I think; however, I am disappointed on both counts (but still nowhere near as disappointed as I am with undergrad, which is another story). I did not sign up for the program out of idealism. I did it to have a career path, but essentially the degree wont guarantee a career path.

It does seem more and more that the world outside academia really is limited to commerce, medicine, and engineering, and even though that is not really the case, it has effectively become a self-fulfilling prophecy because people believe it to be so. There is massive potential to improve the government and nonprofit sectors (and society by extension), but I do not think that potential is going to be realized anytime soon if ever.

So I have been contemplating doing finance. What this would mean is doing some prerequisite work and some work on my own, and then either doing attempting the chartered financial analyst track (which deals with investment management), doing a masters in finance, or both. The chartered financial analyst track is really more focused than the masters degree, so I still haven't given it full consideration yet. I would take any job I could get after I finish my current one (hopefully one financially related, which might be feasible) and then work toward the professional degree probably in a couple or few years after earning money.
I don't know what I am trying to ask here. Going to college has effectively destroyed any idealism or hope I ever had for anything, and I am depressed and angry at myself for doing what I thought was good instead of what is socially acceptable because it appears that those are mutually exclusive. I switched from economics (and then sociology) to philosophy as my major because I was so sick of being forced to endure even more memorization/regurgitation based coursework. I had enough of it in high school. I gave up before I started on advanced study in philosophy, which is also another story.

Thinking about this all has been making me so miserable lately. The prospect of becoming a hermit is increasingly appealing.

That sounds fn amazing to me. If I could go back and get my degree in finance right now -- and also be smart enough to actually do it, and do it well, I would consider myself one of the luckiest people in the world.

Doing what is good instead of what is socially acceptable is NOT mutually exclusive. It's not. For one thing, where do you think you will find the wealhy people to contribute to your non-profits? They'll probably prefer a financial analyst over a hermit, don't you think?

Life has a way of destroying idealism. I think the fault lies with idealism, not with life. However, you do not have to assume everything will suck, I think you will find it is a mixed bag, no matter what environment you find yourself in, whether it winds up being corporate or academic or, well, even a hermit. I think your background has provided you with some pretty amazing opportunities and tools to use wherever you find yourself -- I'm excited for you. But sorry that you are feeling disillusioned.

P.S. With degrees, they can be seen as something to help you get opportunities. But it is what you do with the opportunities that count. Currently, I'm not using my degree much, it just helped me get my first.... well, second job, which was a joke and paid very little. The thing is, if an opportunity comes to help with something, learn something (anything) you have to take it.

I believe it has been this general pattern for decades, but with the economy not so good, and college costs so high, the same pattern seems even more pronounced.

The pattern (as I see it) is: 1. be born lucky enough to have the opportunity to get a degree, 2. get said degree, 3. Think you are going to earn huge amounts of money when you graduate and be very glamorous and well-respected 4. Find out this is not true. At all. 5.stress majorly over what you are going to do with your life, 6. get shitty job, 7. volunteer, work hard, network, etc. your way into increasingly better career opportunities, 8. Re-educate yourself on the job when you realize technology has rendered your previous skills obsolete 9. Find yourself in a job that wasn't even invented when you graduated, and realize you actually like it....

(I am telling you this because it has been more or less the story of my life in a nutshell, and that of many people around me. Hoping it might help you somewhat. Degrees are important.... but, in my experience, it's that # 7 and # 8 that make the most difference.) I should probably add: for crying out loud, stay out of debt as much as you possibly can, but I suspect you already know this.

P.P.S.On second thought, the most important thing is probably #1. I mean, you could be working in a sweatshop or not able to work at all, or without the intellectual capacity to consider any of the above options. Not to belittle your situation, but it could be much worse.

Last edited:
Only recreation, arts, and psychology/social work graduates fared worse

=D Hay buddy! Let's pool our money and buy some lotto tickets.