Most depressing movie or literature | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Most depressing movie or literature

Sad and depressing are kind of distinct in my mind.

The Road is bleak, sure, but it's got a lot of hope in it. More hope than, say, Soylent Green, which leaves you with a sense of depression or despair. There's no hope there.

Grave of the Fireflies is sad. El Laberinto del Fauno is sad.

Reckon it's dependent on whether the viewer is inclined to wallow in despair or look for some measure of hope or possibility in the story.

Thats amazing. Soylent Green did not effect me anywhere as close to as much as The Road. I have to wonder why. If someone had Soylent Green and The Road ready to watch, I wouldnt mind watching Soylent Green and would refuse The Road.

Last edited:
I cant think of anything right now more depressing than, "The Road." Anyone else see it?

Holy shit. Me and my girlfriend were looking at movies to watch and I'd heard of The Road and mentioned it and she was like, "Ok let's get it" and I was like "I dunno, I think it may be bad for date night. But what the hell, how bad could it be?" We got real high and watched it and were both in fetal position by the end (but the kid did live, if I remember correctly, so there was a ray of hope. More than anything was the the expertly created realism and all the FUCKED UP SHIT. Roving bands of redneck cannibals collecting kid meat and sex slaves. Holy moses.)

But really, my vote is for Million Dollar Baby. Why did you make Hilary Swank a quadriplegic just as she was rising from out of her gutter white trash existence Clint Eastwood?? Why did you do that to me, Boss? Why? I had to go back to my therapist after that one.

Depressing literature is a book called Cathedral. Because it is as mundane and boring as real life.

Children of Men is a sad movie. It depicts a world where people stop being able to have children, bringing our survival to a high-speed halt as Darwin's third evolutionary principle is suspended.

Death of a Salesman.

I'm not sure if it's true but I read that when it first made its Broadway debut, no one clapped at the end as it had such a strong effect on the crowd.

Bridge to Terabithia caught me off Guard.

*SPOILERS*

For people who have watched the road and say they saw hope in it. Im curious how you see that. The whole movie was like one big walking dead show without zombies but a whole lot more crazy live people. The world itself was dark and messed up, messed up bad. In the end the kid got to watch his father die and his father got to worry about his kid while he was dying. Whatever sickness the world had, it wasnt going to go away. Yeah, the kid found a family to adopt him, so there's just the smallest amount of hope there but... Not really enough to say the movie was "full" of hope.

Maybe its just me. I will never forget that movie and sometimes when I feel less happy than normal I think back to it and think, "Well at least your not in a forest being covered with ash, cold and hunting cats for dinner."

*SPOILERS*

For people who have watched the road and say they saw hope in it. Im curious how you see that. The whole movie was like one big walking dead show without zombies but a whole lot more crazy live people. The world itself was dark and messed up, messed up bad. In the end the kid got to watch his father die and his father got to worry about his kid while he was dying. Whatever sickness the world had, it wasnt going to go away. Yeah, the kid found a family to adopt him, so there's just the smallest amount of hope there but... Not really enough to say the movie was "full" of hope.

Maybe its just me. I will never forget that movie and sometimes when I feel less happy than normal I think back to it and think, "Well at least your not in a forest being covered with ash, cold and hunting cats for dinner."

Kid lives in the end. All the sacrifices and torture his dad went through to keep his son safe paid off. We don't know his full fate, but that's not the point. He survived.

In your thoughts, this is on par with the road?

Well the scenario in the road hasn't actually happened (yet)

But gallipoli did happen as did the violent settlement of australia and other places so in a way it is on par with the road because it evokes real periods of time

But putting that aside i doubt there are few things that can rate as bleak as a nuclear winter where people are basically waiting to die of radiation poisoning

Last edited:
I absolutely adore this movie. It is probably one of my favorite love stories. It's most depressing because I fear I'll never have someone who could love me for a lifetime as opposed to a passing moment in their time. Either way, I just think this movie a refreshing perspective of a love story because the characters are late in life. Maybe it's the 2 in my trifix that just wants to love and be there for someone from the most deepester places of my being even if it hurts bad.

Nonetheless ... don't say I didn't warn you. It's intense. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF-PicMvV6E