Mind Control Is Sexy! | INFJ Forum

Mind Control Is Sexy!

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
Contrary to that opening sentence I am not a hypnotism fetishist. I know a few people who are but I'm personally not.

There is an interesting macro-science of propaganda which is based heavily in mind control. We don't think of it as mind control so much as 'convincing people of stuff that isn't necessarily true' but altogether isn't that the same thing?

Brain washing is taking away a person's otherwise functional sense of self and replacing it with some idea of self that is constructed to produce certain actions, right?

I'll give you an example of genuine mind control.

NIGGER.

Depending on who you are and where you are on earth you will have different responses to this word. If you are a white American you may have a sense of guilt or shame when someone uses that word. If you are a white supremacist, a feeling of joyous rebellion stirs in your belly. If you are black you might feel anger or pride depending on your demographic.

The point here is that statistically, if you know to whom you are speaking then your words actually change the way their brains operate.

Here's another example.

Elephant.

Now, whether or not you know what an elephant is (and most of you probably do) you are going to have a response to this word. If you say this word to an isolated tribe in southern Brazil whose never heard of an elephant they will be confused. They may try to fit the word into some word they are familiar with. Pray the closest lingual similarity isn't a word for 'I have slept with your ugly daughter'.

The response will be different for those who do know what an elephant is depending on your demographic but in large part you will think of something big, grey, with floppy ears and a long nose. What the elephant means to you will be distinctly separated depending on where you grew up.

If you live in someplace like India the elephant is full of symbolism. There are elephantine gods. Indian men are married riding in on an elephant. Elephants are transportation and a part of daily life. Respect, loyalty, love.

In America, the word elephant will create most often an association with the zoo. A place of bars and separation where the elephant isn't dangerous at all and is something you take your children to see.

We will take this a step further.

1.The foreign defense forces captured the terrorist insurrectionists.

2.The invading army kidnapped the rebel freedom fighters.

These two sentences mean exactly the same thing. Each will produce a different result in the brain depending on who you are and where you're from. If you're from the invading army you might be offended by the second one. If you're from the invaded, you'll probably think the second one sounds outrageous. It's vice versa if the roles are reversed.

This is mind control.

Brain washing is even simpler. Brain washing involves the use of your normal human impulses to create a different personality. If you are a kind, sweet person and the brain-washer needs someone violent and destructive then it is simply a matter of rewarding violent behavior and punishing kind sweet behavior. If the punishment is adequately severe then eventually you won't actually need to inact the punishment. The threat will be enough.

Everyone has, at one time or another, not had enough money for something. Even the very richest know what it's like to forget a wallet. If they don't then we probably ought to dedicate ourselves to hunting them down and killing them right now (This is for that inevitable demographic who is going to contradict me using pedantic semantics. I'm looking at you INTJ's.)

If you reward having money and punish not having it adequately you will create a mindset where a person MUST have money to feel good. You can take this to an extreme where no amount of money will make a person feel good but gain makes them feel a little better for a little while. This is addiction. It is based on changing the operation of the human mind.

Day to day we all experience different kinds of mind control and it is our awareness of it that will allow us to create what amounts to an informational immune system which filters out bad information. Consider how many people were intoxicated by the recent ridiculousness of the Rapture being on a Saturday around six'o'clock.

This robbed many otherwise intelligent people of their good sense because it was a piece of bad information inserted into a part of their minds that works pretty well under most circumstances. Religious belief can be very positive if a person's relationship with life and the world around them is positive but it is also prone to infection in the same way a human liver is prone to infection if a person drinks too much.

Awareness is the pre-frontal lobe of the brain creating more than one perspective based on it's simulation matrix. The frontal lobe simulates events. It says 'This is what might happen!' and if it's working well it can simulate several different courses of action.

If it's infected by bad information, damaged, or injured it can limit it's ability to do that down to just one or two options. 'Black and white' or 'fanatical' thinking.

Consider this the next time there is a situation where everything seems very black and white. Are you infected? A good shot of perspective is just the thing.

Reactions: kucala
I think the moral of this story is to not trust your mind, it may be full of shit.

Seriously though, every person is capable of manipulating others even when they don't do it maliciously. Our brains, for good or bad, is very malleable and flexible, so we're easily influenced by our culture, environment and other factors.

The best thing to do is to be open-minded and skeptical of everything you hear, see, touch, smell and taste, because it may all be a lie.

I am entirely guilty of this. I enjoy the thought of simplicity, and breaking things down to good and evil is just sooooo appealing D: I'm getting better though!

Your post is primarily addressing the failure to employ proper reasoning. Without it, people conflate feelings for facts, opinion for truth, and subjective interpretations for objective conclusions. This isn't a new problem, of course. Philosophers have known about it for almost 2,500 years and have been encouraging people to study logic so these pitfalls can be avoided - not just for personal reasons, but interpersonal ones as well.

I've been working on this idea for some time and feedback is actually helping me refine it. I'll do another piece later on that's better if people will give me specifics about what needs fixing. I think that I do need to clean it up and make the 'point' clearer.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the use of the word 'mind control'. I don't really want to go into the details, but if you get the chance to study linguistics it would help.

It isn't really mind control per se, more so careful manipulation (whether unintentionally - e.g. to fit who you're talking to/where/etc in order to facilitate effective communication, or intentionally - e.g. in order to mislead others, esp. by politicians :p)

Opening your eyes is all that is needing. The heart lies and the head plays tricks with us, but the eyes see true.
this, I think..

I've been working on this idea for some time and feedback is actually helping me refine it. I'll do another piece later on that's better if people will give me specifics about what needs fixing. I think that I do need to clean it up and make the 'point' clearer.

First and foremost, you need to establish what, exactly, your premise is. Lay it out in one or two sentences at the most. As best I can tell, it's something akin to 'without proper reasoning, an individual is prone to being manipulated.' I agree, of course. But you've basically made a huge post on the premise and little (if any) explanation of what follows from there. So, it's kind of verbose.

Secondly, your use of terms is confusing. For example: your subject line has the term "mind control" then a paragraph or two later, you say 'we don't think of it as mind control so much as 'convincing people of stuff that isn't necessarily true' but altogether isn't that the same thing?' You're basically saying 'it's mind control...but it's kind of not...even though it really is." That's confusing. Moreover, you then go on to drop even more terms into the post - some of which are presumably different from mind-control:

brain washing
macro-science

propaganda

...etc.

Anyway, it's not a bad post. I'd just suggest tightening it up (extensively), establishing a clear premise and more consistency in your terminology.

Mind control is to influence through implying instead of taking direct responsibility or lying.

Don't tell people what to do, imply that they have to or should.
Don't tell people you're famous, imply that you are, were, or will be.

If you want to sell a tiny beach stereo the size of a lunchbox, imply that it is a big state of the art boom box (My Timeshare mentor taught me that. I called him Obi-wan).

Last edited: