Microsoft Goes Full Totalitarian | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Microsoft Goes Full Totalitarian

Honestly from a buisness perspective it simply makes sense. They have a product, they define the terms of the use of the product and you as a consumer decide if those terms work for you. You dont have to use their product. Enter another company willing to let you do all the things MS wont let you do.
Exactly, its just annoying to have to change everything I use. This will accomplish nothing, the people they want to censor will just move to a platform that isn't filled with totalitarian scumbag censors. It's sad to see Microsoft shoot themselves in the foot but that doesn't change what I have to do.

So the truth seems to be more complicated than I had initially thought, Microsoft's policy changes are the effect of a new law in the U.S.
https://reason.com/blog/2018/03/21/senate-passes-fosta-sex-trafficking-bill
As noted in the source above, this law is supposed to combat sex trafficking but the Justice department does not want it because it actually makes it harder to investigate sex trafficking.

So Europe will be largely unaffected, even if this is enacted? I have been talking with my family about this, and I think in the EU there are very strict laws against user privacy infringement (which includes spying on users for no apparent reason, like them being a suspect in an investigation), especially in Germany. I don't have specific examples, but if we can't even successfully integrate CCTV into society for local and national security because the public citizenship is against it, there must be something to it.

So Europe will be largely unaffected, even if this is enacted? I have been talking with my family about this, and I think in the EU there are very strict laws against user privacy infringement (which includes spying on users for no apparent reason, like them being a suspect in an investigation), especially in Germany. I don't have specific examples, but if we can't even successfully integrate CCTV into society for local and national security because the public citizenship is against it, there must be something to it.
I imagine that these policies from Microsoft will be enacted outside the U.S. unless there are separate user agreements for different countries.

As for EU policies I must admit I am unaware of the policies themselves as well as how they interact with Microsoft services.

Anything you put online is subject to be had. I've had my photos stolen and used illegally. Although google shut down the site after I showed them I took the photos. I quit Facebook years ago and i use nothing google. Not even their search engine. The internet as far as I can tell is largely insecure.

Decent meaning they only load a certain amount of images

Reactions: Jexocuha
Decent means they suck, but you don't see an alternative, right?
I don't think they suck I find all the stuff I'm looking for with duck duck go. What we need is a new YouTube. The government needs to break up google. They should have broke up Microsoft too. These guys have a clear monopoly now. They should break up the government. Too much insider trading and favors going on. The citizen in America is nothing more than a finical slave. Who pays for their enslavement. You can't live in the forest. Your forced to live on the streets. I can never understand why man lets other men make him homeless. Man has all the rights to live as he pleases off of the land that is there for all living beings on earth. He is not separate but a part of the world. And therefore should be able to live where he likes in peace. With google they have an open door into your life. As well as all smart things. Appliances can spy on you too. They keep adding more things to spy on you daily.

Reactions: ESC2367
So the truth seems to be more complicated than I had initially thought, Microsoft's policy changes are the effect of a new law in the U.S.
https://reason.com/blog/2018/03/21/senate-passes-fosta-sex-trafficking-bill
As noted in the source above, this law is supposed to combat sex trafficking but the Justice department does not want it because it actually makes it harder to investigate sex trafficking.

Which is also why Craigslist suddenly got rid of its personals sections. No more pasty athletes donating 200 roses for invigorating in-room sports massages. Well, yes, but not on Craigslist.

Reactions: Reason and Wyote
The internet has never been a bastion of personal information security to be sure, but it is somewhat troubling to track these kinds of developments. I've seen speculation that the reason why we didn't see the tech companies dredge up an internet mob like they did with net neutrality is that they actually want this excuse to data mine like Facebook does.

I don't know what the solution is- i'm just reporting what i'm seeing.

I've deleted my Skype for now but i'm not going to give in to hysterical apocalyptic predictions for the future just yet. The law in question has a lot of vulnerability in the U.S. courts- and Microsoft themselves acknowledges that they do not have the resources to monitor all content across all platforms. Another positive is that, at least on Xbox live, if they start banning people on trumped-up charges of 'inappropriate language' then they'll likely just shoot themselves in the foot and drive gamers to Sony.

Let's watch and see how all of this plays out whilst keeping both eyes open and considering all actions we might choose to take and also their connected consequences. Everyone in the U.S. must decide for themselves what attitude and action is most appropriate for them.

Which is also why Craigslist suddenly got rid of its personals sections. No more pasty athletes donating 200 roses for invigorating in-room sports massages. Well, yes, but not on Craigslist.
Oh, there's a niche to be filled?

There's a new function to be added to this forum, i'm sure :D

Reactions: Jexocuha
The internet has destroyed thousands of businesses and left hundreds of thousands of people jobless. Think they can make their own rules. It will end up destroying the world, though it is fun at times and even helpful. Cellphones are like miniature computers. The blowback will be the end of us all. Grab your ankles, but stop showing your arses.

I think since Windows 10 MS like Facebook have become a data harvester. "We" are the product. Ubuntu (a version of Linux) is probably best, but I think IOS apple are not so bad as MS and are more user friendly.

Thank @James. Never subscribed to Facebook so OK in that department. Had a brief chat with my brother and he said he was going to send me some more info re: Linux. Apple is not allowed in our house :tongueout: but then my hubby had to accept Apple products as part of his job. Either way...it looks like we're getting screwed one way or another!!

Yes the user friendly element is so very important. crap!