Memorable Experiences in Education | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Memorable Experiences in Education

Most memorable experience as a teacher. Well, there are many, but one little girl really stands out. I taught gifted students for awhile. It's an awesome experience when you can have a conversation about conceptual art with a ten year old and not only do they understand what you're talking about, but they have a highly intelligent response and a slew of questions. THEN they take it even further and apply it. They used to blow me away.

Anyway, after explaining to a ten year old that an aspect of conceptual art is the viewers reaction to the art. That conceptual art can be used to change people's minds, shock people, etc. So, as an artist, you have to assume some responsibility for the art you make because art can cause strong reactions in people.

The little girl proceeded to take all of these doll heads we were using to build a class sculpture with. She painted all of the heads black and then gave them to the parents of all the other children when they came to pick up their kids and told them it was a gift for them for Martin Luther King Day. She then sat and watched their shocking reaction. I had much explaining to do after that, but I went home and had to really just be in awe that a ten year old could not only think on that level, but she could apply it and manipulate the thought process, albeit in a rebellious manner. One of the brightest kids I'd ever worked with, also one of the most challenging, but hey, they're the reason I loved teaching.

Having a crush on my sixth grade teacher. I couldn't even utter words around him. I remember his argyle socks never matched his clothes.

Letting the kids run wild in my class until they got tired of it and then developed their own set of classroom management rules.