MBTI's Concrete Impact on Your Life | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

MBTI's Concrete Impact on Your Life

For example, my niece (my age, raised together - she's like my sister) has a wall display in her spare room dedicated to her expensive handbag collection. It's not an aesthetic or artistic thing, it's literally a trophy wall of things she's proud of (we've talked about this because I literally couldn't fathom the purpose behind the thing). Now, because I understand just how much more powerful the hit of 'reward for social success' neutransmitters are for extroverts, it makes total sense to me and seems pretty forgivable.

Interesting. What would you guess is your niece's type?

I personally benefited more from the journey of self-examination that MBTI requires than MBTI itself.

Me too :) That's a great way of putting it. Regardless of MBTI's objective merits, it's undeniable that I know myself better now than I used to.

More self-awareness and more self-acceptance.

Great thread @Ren ! I'll have to think about a more elaborate response, but I pretty much agree with @Asa

'Hmm, and who is the prince? As a human being? As a man? As a leader?'
':neutral: 63'

69 seems like a missed opportunity

What's interesting?

The impact of neurotransmitters on behaviour and how they effectively take the question of value (ethical, aesthetic) out of the equation, since the reasons for e.g. why your niece would be so much into her handbag collection is effectively the outcome of a purely physical process.

Great thread @Ren ! I'll have to think about a more elaborate response, but I pretty much agree with @Asa

Thanks man! Looking forward to your contribution :blush:

And yes, I agree with @Asa too. I wanted to react to her post but since I basically agreed (and also I'm hungover) I found little to say in addition :laughing:

What's up with Charlize Theron?

You know Afrikaans women are biologically the most faithful women on the planet? (lowest percentage of non-paternity events)
What's up with Charlize Theron?

You know Afrikaans women are biologically the most faithful women on the planet? (lowest percentage of non-paternity events)
I just want to drive fast cars and drink booze for the rest of my days.

Hi guys,

I've been thinking recently that consciously or not, my knowledge of MBTI and types informs my decision-making in many areas of my social and professional life.

So I was wondering if you had examples, from your own life that is, of your knowledge of MBTI impacting the way you dealt with certain people, the approach you took to resolving a particular problem or tricky situation; or anything else.

I have lots of examples in mind but I'll give a very simple one. I have established that my manager is ENTJ. Well, I think that prior to becoming familiar with MBTI, if I had had her as my manager, I would perhaps have struggled with her very matter-of-fact feedback and short, efficiency-oriented meetings, feeling that I needed a bit more emotional support and questioning myself as a result. But instead, I feel like knowing that she is ENTJ has allowed me to be completely comfortable with her managing style and even to appreciate it. After all, it's quite nice to have a boss who doesn't beat around the bush and doesn't ramble on for no reason. Lastly, I can even detect the manner in which she shows care and I believe this is partly thanks to knowing about Fi.

This is an example of a concrete (and clearly positive) impact of MBTI on my life. What about you, my friends? :)
I very rarely use MBTI to work out how to interact with an individual on something specific. I use it to sniff out the social atmosphere at a broad brush level: EvI, SvN, FvT. I don't do this consciously but the typology feeds my instinctive reactions. I'm hypersensitive to ES social atmospheres for example and will adjust my expectations accordingly - very often beating a hasty retreat either to the periphery of such a group or in a total escape lol. I'm also fairly quick to pick up on IT and IN social settings which is where I feel more comfortable - INTx was the prevailing social culture in my workplace. I don't have such a strong pull to pick up on F in the same way - I think this is because it tends to reduce the 'threat level' of the social atmosphere in any context, unless it becomes intrusively personal, and it's really the 'threat risk' that I'm assessing :D. By threat I mean things like the level of drain on my energy, how uncomfortable I'll feel, how much I won't share the same perspective, how much I will have to dissemble to harmonise, etc.

I do get interested in working out the type of some individuals in order to understand their behaviour and attitudes better. This isn't usually tied to a particular objective other than my interest - it will colour how I relate to them but I don't consciously use it when I am with them. I'm more likely to do this with someone who appears to be on the periphery in a social setting in some way. I also do it quite frankly out of nosey curiosity sometimes, but that's a bit naughty I fear :smilingimp:

I'm hypersensitive to ES social atmospheres for example and will adjust my expectations accordingly - very often beating a hasty retreat either to the periphery of such a group or in a total escape lol.
Lol. Relatable. Though I just tend to switch off and zone out tbh.

Reactions: Ren and John K
Lol. Relatable. Though I just tend to switch off and zone out tbh.
LOL yes! I actually like the energy in a group like that because it's so alive - but I can't be a part of it for long, I feel like a foreign coin in my change.

K so I got bored and retook the MBTI-test.

Still INFJ.

Meh.

1. I now walk around with a list of my coworkers, friends and families MBTI types in my head
2. I try to understand someone's primary and secondary function if I have issues communicating with them and then tailor my communication approach
3. I understand how I work pretty well. I recognize my blind spots and ask for help with them
4. I try to not talk in MBTI terms outside of the forum. It starts to sound like crazy talk to those uninterested in it.

1. I now walk around with a list of my coworkers, friends and families MBTI types in my head
2. I try to understand someone's primary and secondary function if I have issues communicating with them and then tailor my communication approach

I relate to that 100% lol

K so I got bored and retook the MBTI-test.

Still INFJ.

Meh.

How did you score on the F and the J?

Lately I feel like I am not satisfied with only my four ego functions. I am well developed in all of them, and I feel I am starting to value my shadow functions more and more.

Especially Se. Te is also fine, but I feel Te is kinda a weaker version of Ti. I feel Ti can do what Te can (maybe not as good, ofc), but Te cannot do what Ti does. This is a great video about Ti, debunking some myths that it is unpractical etc:

Ni is already quite developed in me, and Fi is something that I do not really value except in IXTJ, who gather a lot of motivation and drive from their Fi.

So that leaves Se. I am very attracted to its strength, presence and stamina to actually impose oneself in the world. I am getting a bit tired of being a quiet introvert, and I feel my ego is growing and I want to dominate more. I was always quite feminine, but in last years I have really started to value masculinity more.

So yeah, the impact of MBTI was to give me a vocabulary with which I can recognize certain traits in me and try to improve.