• Total voters

Reon

Midnight's Garden
Nov 1, 2008
MBTI
Questioning?
Enneagram
5w6
From what I've read, many individuals believe that they have a mask of another type, for example: "When I go to work, I put on my INTJ mask" and I was wondering how many people thought this was the case for me. To me, it seems rather improbable because, while it is possible to be more empathetic, efficient, or any trait that you need for a job, I think it's highly unlikely that you're so adept at using your 'mask' that you can start using your functions like the type you are mimicking; I think that in most cases where a person is wearing a "mask" they might be emphasizing a different part/combination of their cognitive functions and presenting themselves in a certain light instead of actually mimicking that light.

Perhaps I'm just thinking about this too much? What do you think? Do you wear a mask? What type do you have a mask for

Last edited:
I would say I have an xSFJ mask. That probably just means that I try to emphasize my Fe and hide my Ni, while paying more attention to details and traditions (probably Ti-Se mimicking Si).

I also have an INTx mask that I use during drawn-out intellectual debates. For me, it's clearly just disengaging Fe and using Ni-Ti. There might also be some Ne simulation using Ni and Se, or Te simulation by using Ti to filter Fe so that it looks more like Te.

Without a mask, I end up looking vaguely INJ-ish, with a tendency towards intermittent Fe and Ti use.

Last edited:
Someone had described me as an INFP with a TJ mask. I don't think they're completely wrong.

I describe myself as an INFJ with a capability to slide my F and J as a mask. Now as whether the mask itself fits, is a different question....

If anything I wear a blank mask, revealing only what is neccessary.

As a Gemini, I'm said to have many masks, hehe. I look at MBTI as an equation that, like in chemistry, changes all the time depending on temperature, pressure, etc. I would opine that we all are somewhat mutable a little here and there within functions depending on the situation, the people, and the environment we are in. It wouldn't have to be a large difference to make a difference. This kind of adaptability makes sense to me, and would benefit us Socially. It also makes sense that if we are nearer the 0% on any one function, we would be likely less flexible because we would have farther to go to get to that midpoint of more flexibility. Good question!

Either I'm nothing but a mask or I have hundreds of them.

I'm just me. Different parts present themselves based on the environment or who I'm talking to. It's nothing as basic as "mask on"/"mask off"

I don't know what type of mask it is, but I know that in different environments with different people, I am a little different.

Last edited:
I agree with BlinkandThink and acd for the most part.
As far as "social masks" go, that has a huge range from acting slightly different depending on with whom you're interacting--socially sensitive people automatically do this more than others, in my experience--or actually applying a persona or character like a stage actor. One is simply showing different parts of oneself selectively based on the circumstances, the other is essentially lying. Which is not to say that I never do it. ^_^

But as far as emphasizing different mental functions, I always considered them "modes" rather than "masks".
For example, I don't particularly like math, and to do it well I must flip into a "math doing mode" that often leaves me tired and irritable, though I can do the math just fine and typically quicker than most. But yeah, that's a switch to mostly using a mental function that is not dominant for me.

I don't know what type of mask it is, but I know that in different environments with different people, I am a little different.

That is called being a normal person. ACD, you are normal.

I put on my ISTJ mask when I go to work so I can be a good little drone and not make any waves. My employers don't want new ideas or creativity ... they want business as usual ... and I want my paycheck. Focalin used to help when I took that, but I'm trying to get off meds so I'm pretty much on my own now.

I've always presented a facade to the outside world. INTPs are just too different to be readily accepted by the mainstream. I dress like an SJ and act like an SJ ... but have found a niche where I can do NT work to keep my mind sane. It's not a perfect match, but is works.

Personally I don't use a mask at all, in fact I find my type perfect for reacting to people.

I = Just ignore them entirely.
S = Point out random meaningless things and hope they go away.
T = Maybe strike up an intelligent conversation with those actually worth talking to.
P = Do something spontaneus like lighting yourself on fire and jumping out the window thereby ensuring that they end up avoiding you and you never have to deal with their stupidity again.

Okay in all seriousness I find that my type is great for anything other than interacting with people, and I don't wan't to interact with them so why would I need a mask?

P = Do something spontaneus like lighting yourself on fire and jumping out the window thereby ensuring that they end up avoiding you and you never have to deal with their stupidity again.

My P clearly hasn't been living up to its full potential.

I put on my ISTJ mask when I go to work so I can be a good little drone and not make any waves. My employers don't want new ideas or creativity ... they want business as usual ... and I want my paycheck.

I've gotten some negative feedback on this post and it has caused me to introspect a bit. I've been guilty of typism and it shames me. It was not my intent to portray ISTJs in a negative light. My own mother is an ISTJ and I love her dearly and admire everything that she is. Every type has many positive aspects to give to this world. Indeed, the world probably could not function without the sum total of what all the types have to offer. That's what I enjoy about these forums ... the exhange of ideas that knock me back into reality about what everybody has to offer. In retrospect, I could have phrased my post more delicately and effectively. My apologies.

I can fake F really well when I need to. When I care about people, I can analyze what they need and be that person for them.

For instance, person X is upset and considering suicide.
Their reasons? Not good enough in my opinion. Am I sick of this? Yes.
Do I even particularly care about the underlying emotional issues involved with each of these problems? No.
BUT!
Do I want my friend to be sad/suicidal? No.
My favorite show is on, and I have a new book. It's cold outside and X person wants to talk outside. I hate the cold. I feel pretty resentful of person Xs selfish fish-bowl mentality and inability to see past their own problems.
BUT, again, I do care about the person.
So I go outside, I give them a big, looong hug, I tell them I love them, that they know I won't judge them, so if they want to talk, I'm here.

Then I sit there in the freezing cold for what feels like an hour while my favorite show is on somewhere warm where normally I would be cooking dinner.
Speaking of which, I'm hungry.
But I wait for person to speak, and when they do, I listen. And then we talk for hours. More hugs. I threaten person X bodily harm if they ever manage to off them-self, because they are important to me and even if they turned evil/ managed to lose more, be less, have more issues, I would still love them.
I make person X laugh, we talk more. I don't really tell person X what's gong through my head or try to logically talk to them about their feelings. If anything the conversation stays largely irrational.

Person X says they are sorry that they "put all this on me." I don't know how to say that the knowledge of their issues is really not at all a burdan on me since I don't care. I care that they're depressed, the things that caused it might be heavy if I was experiencing it, but it's not that big of a burden.
So I tell the truth that I can tell, I say it would be more of a burden to me if I felt like they couldn't talk to me about these things. I say that I value X and our friendship highly and that I know if/when I had issues I could talk to person X about them, so don't worry about it...

I'm not sure if this is as much a mask, as just being able to utilize skills every human has in order to be there for my friends.:m075: