MBTI functions? | INFJ Forum

MBTI functions?

soulseeker

Permanent Fixture
Dec 19, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
what are the different MBTI functions and how do you classify each and their meaning?
(all i know is that i'm an INFJ, but i want to understand how and why.. and what the functions are for)
thanks

I'll break down the categories, and leave it to others to describe their meanings. There are Introverted (internal) and Extroverted (external) functions. There are Perception functions (Sensing and iNtuiting). There are Judging functions (Thinking and Feeling). Putting that all together, the possible functions are: Ne Ni Se Si Te Ti Fe Fi

Decoding the MBTI type:
You need to know that the MBTI type gives a perception/judging "core". This consists of the middle two letters (NF in the case of INFJ's). One will be an introverted function, one will be external. One will be the primary function, the other will be secondary. The third function is found by taking the secondary function and swapping the intro/extro-vert, and using the other function of the same type. (For INFJ's Fe is secondary - an extroverted judging function, so Ti comes third - an internal judging function.) Do the same to get the fourth function from the first. The first letter of MBTI type states whether the Introverted or Extroverted core function is primary. The last letter states which function is extroverted. The primary and secondary function will be opposites - one introverted, one extroverted. The same is true of the third and fourth functions.

Taking INFJ as an example:
- NF Core (Ni Ne Fi Fe)
- Judging is extroverted (therefore Fe, and also Ni)
- Introverted is primary (Ni)

1st Ni
2nd Fe
3rd Ti (Fe's opposite)
4th Se (Ni's opposite)

Therefore, an INFJ is Ni Fe Ti Se in that order. Don't worry if it's confusing now. It took me a long time to understand how this works.

My simplistic look at this ? It is to allow people to better understand there are different personality traits out there, which could possibly allow us to better understand our fellow humankind.....enabling us to accept people that are different somewhat easier.