making our introversion work for us | INFJ Forum

making our introversion work for us

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, I was thinking how we can maximize or get the best use and benefit of our introversion in our daily lives so that we feel less negative about it. How do you see your introversion or introspection working effectively to help you manage your day to day experiences or lives? What are some introverted qualities or traits which are often over looked but yet great assets for getting things done?

So, I was thinking how we can maximize or get the best use and benefit of our introversion in our daily lives so that we feel less negative about it. How do you see your introversion or introspection working effectively to help you manage your day to day experiences or lives? What are some introverted qualities or traits which are often over looked but yet great assets for getting things done?

Learn to work from behind the scenes. In reality all power is held by people that do not exist or work behind the scenes to make things a reality. Learn to let go of the belief that just because you are not out in the world being extroverted that you have less power. Personal power can be honed in from every life situation no matter the difficulty.

Maximizing your daily habits has nothing to do with introversion or extraversion and have everything to do with your habits and what kind of personal working system you set up for yourself. This will cover areas such as self discipline, your range of goals and what you can potentially do at that given day using your talents and strengths.

The best thing to do is to keep a balance. For most average introverts the 60/40 ratio can work. 60% of your daily activities revolving around introverted activities like studying by yourself, or doing any activity by yourself. Since most of us don't live under a rock; some form of extroversion will be required no matter how it comes across. Maybe it's calling your friend for a chat or going to see a show, etc. Balance is the key.

For most mature introverts; the realization that social extroversion is necessary for sanity becomes clearer as you get older and experience more of life.

Reactions: muir
I have never felt negative about my introversion. I was aware of the concept of being an introvert way before I even knew the word for it. My whole family are extroverts so I knew that I functioned differently then they did. I never saw it as a bad thing. I always felt that I was deeper and more thoughtful then the people around me, which gave me a sense that I had a special 'talent' that they didn't, which was to be able to analyze things and not blurt out the first thing that came to mind. I believe that's a huge strength.

I also can entertain myself. When I was a kid I could lock myself in my room for hours and be perfectly happy. I don't need other people to entertain me. I can allow them to entertain me if I choose but I don't need them to have fun like extroverts seem to need, which I think gives me more flexibility. I believe that introverts can learn coping mechanisms to live in an extroverted world but extroverts have a much more difficult time to be comfortable in situations that are natural for introverts.

I love this question!

I think we're really in tune to our feelings and others...this often means that we can read situations and people better than most (I'm not sure if this is more INFJ than just introversion)...I think this is a gift and skill that we can use to help us and others.

I also live in my head- this serves me in two big ways (1) I am NEVER bored! I can literally sit and just be in my own head, with my imagination, thoughts, etc. for hours on end. I sometimes think that I would do really well in solitary confinement! (2) being in my head with my imagination allows me to be very creative with my thinking and thoughts. I haven't utilized this skill well in real-life, but I think it can be transferred to my school and work in many ways. Being open and exploring situations, ideas, events through imagination is important for innovations and reflective thinking/learning. I'm going to try to apply that more to my life.

Up until I was an adult I had very little interest in being less introverted. I felt so comfortable being in my own world that it wasn't until after I was seventeen before I started becoming ambiverted. I could spend most of my time alone in my room reading, drawing, playing video games, etc. I could go a couple of weeks without hanging out with any friends. Now people are shocked when I tell them I am an introvert. It must be all of those years in service jobs,lol. I try focusing on people when I'm at work or at a social gathering, to be present and converse, even if it is difficult at times. Sometimes I just want to sit in the corner and be left to my own thoughts. But generally, I like to extrovert the ideas I have floating around in my head. I must get them out! Some may find me odd, but many people say they like talking to me, which makes me want to share more. I've become much more comfortable sharing with people what I think about other people. I point out the good and bad in people in conversation and have found that to be a strength. I observe people and predict what they may do in different situations, how they might feel about something, who to trust and who not to. I try not to share too much because I'm not into talking about other people, I only do it if I feel someone is confiding too much in someone that I know goes around and repeats what people tell them, or if someone really dislikes someone and I'll point out why they are not as bad as they seem. I can get a real feel about someone rather quickly. All these are things I've picked up over the years because of my introversion and experience and now I feel I have been able to do something with it.

Up until I was an adult I had very little interest in being less introverted. I felt so comfortable being in my own world that it wasn't until after I was seventeen before I started becoming ambiverted. I could spend most of my time alone in my room reading, drawing, playing video games, etc. I could go a couple of weeks without hanging out with any friends. Now people are shocked when I tell them I am an introvert. It must be all of those years in service jobs,lol. I try focusing on people when I'm at work or at a social gathering, to be present and converse, even if it is difficult at times. Sometimes I just want to sit in the corner and be left to my own thoughts. But generally, I like to extrovert the ideas I have floating around in my head. I must get them out! Some may find me odd, but many people say they like talking to me, which makes me want to share more. I've become much more comfortable sharing with people what I think about other people. I point out the good and bad in people in conversation and have found that to be a strength. I observe people and predict what they may do in different situations, how they might feel about something, who to trust and who not to. I try not to share too much because I'm not into talking about other people, I only do it if I feel someone is confiding too much in someone that I know goes around and repeats what people tell them, or if someone really dislikes someone and I'll point out why they are not as bad as they seem. I can get a real feel about someone rather quickly. All these are things I've picked up over the years because of my introversion and experience and now I feel I have been able to do something with it.

AH! I get this too!! When people first meet me, they think I'm an extrovert. I would say it's only my close friends that spend a lot of time with me that know i'm an introvert- mostly because they'll not see or hear from me for a few weeks every so often! They've come to expect it from me. I'm lucky that I've found people who accept that, understand that from me. I use to be ashamed of it, and felt I needed to make up excuses for not wanting to go do something with them, but now I tell them that I just need 'down time' and they understand!

I think a strength of introversion is the ability to focus or concentrate on solitary tasks for long periods of time with great intensity. I also notice that it also helps with zoning in on the key details. I think introverts get their best insights from their solitary or introspective moments.