Linear vs. Logical thinking | INFJ Forum

Linear vs. Logical thinking

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I've always been a little intrigued and confused by the difference between linear and logical thinking. Are they the same or is there a significant difference? Please include examples if you can. thx.

Linear seems to be step by step, relying on explicit procedures and defined methods, conditional, and concrete.
Nonlinear is multidirectional, may be independent of steps and methods, multiconditional and abstract.
Both can be logic or logical.

An example might be programming a game, where in it the player tries to give a mushroom to a character, and the character reacts differently depending on if it is awake or asleep.
The linear method might be to write a bunch of if statements in order: if you give the mushroom, if the character is asleep, do blahblahblah, else if they are awake, do some other blah.

The nonlinear method doesn't require any conditionals, instead the event which causes the character to sleep sets a 'sleep' flag, whatever causes it to be awake sets an 'awake' flag, and the action of giving the mushroom simply triggers a crosscheck of nodes, or an array of responses. Moreover, one might have a function, object, or procedure premade that checks sleep/wake actions and be able to just call it from here, and any other character in the game. So if you had 100 characters you can give mushrooms to, it would be silly to make a separate code for all of them when you can define it once and just point to it within the action.

Reactions: NaeturVindur
Linear seems to be step by step, relying on explicit procedures and defined methods, conditional, and concrete.
Nonlinear is multidirectional, may be independent of steps and methods, multiconditional and abstract.
Both can be logic or logical.

An example might be programming a game, where in it the player tries to give a mushroom to a character, and the character reacts differently depending on if it is awake or asleep.
The linear method might be to write a bunch of if statements in order: if you give the mushroom, if the character is asleep, do blahblahblah, else if they are awake, do some other blah.

The nonlinear method doesn't require any conditionals, instead the event which causes the character to sleep sets a 'sleep' flag, whatever causes it to be awake sets an 'awake' flag, and the action of giving the mushroom simply triggers a crosscheck of nodes, or an array of responses. Moreover, one might have a function, object, or procedure premade that checks sleep/wake actions and be able to just call it from here, and any other character in the game. So if you had 100 characters you can give mushrooms to, it would be silly to make a separate code for all of them when you can define it once and just point to it within the action.

ok, I think I understood what you said. Can you use an example that's not related to a video game, maybe a more practical example?

Logical thinking critically challenges the assumptions made by the structure by evaluating, analyzing and checking the integrity of data points. It is concerned with validity.

Linear thinking is ordered thinking. It categorizes and determines relationships between data step by step, like a stair. It is concerned with order. Linear thinking may be utilized in logical thinking, but it is not necessarily logical in nature.

Logical thinking critically challenges the assumptions made by the structure by evaluating, analyzing and checking the integrity of data points. It is concerned with validity.

Linear thinking is ordered thinking. It categorizes and determines relationships between data in a single, progressive view. It is concerned with order. Linear thinking may be utilized in logical thinking, but it is not necessarily logical in nature.

Basically this.

Linear thinking structures information point-by-point,
while logical thinking ascertains veracity.

Linearity is a part of logical analysis,
discriminating between items in the set,
but can be used illogically.

If-then statements, for example,
are linear, but not necessarily
logical; relationships between
premises may be invalid.

Ex: If I dance around this tree, gold will rain from the sky.

There is a clear cause-effect component,
but it is ludicrous. Linear thinking,
I think, is quite vulnerable to
cognitive errors in
daily life;

misattribution, snap judgments from incomplete information,
representative heuristics, and confirmation biases
can all pollute the quality of linear thinking
when separated from logical deconstruction.

If someone is calling you a linear thinker they're basically calling you an XSTJ. If someone is calling you a logical thinker they're calling you an INTX. Mind you much of human thinking is flawed and the pipe dream of being completely rational and logical can be fetishized by people, the latter of these types especially.

If someone is calling you a linear thinker they're basically calling you an XSTJ. If someone is calling you a logical thinker they're calling you an INTX. Mind you much of human thinking is flawed and the pipe dream of being completely rational and logical can be fetishized by people, the latter of these types especially.

Perhaps based on stereotype only, but otherwise, this is a problematic assumption.

All types utilize linear thinking, though as a preference, it is most noticeable in EXXJs and IXXJs. IXXPs and EXXPs are concerned with the validity of their environments and utilize (or fetishize, as you put it) logic the most. How proficient each type is at using logic and linear thinking as an order of course is highly dependent on their function stack. Those types with T lower in their function stack usually have thinking as a source of ego and value it highly as it is something that they unconsciously perceive as a vulnerability of theirs. As such, may seek to compensate for it/project onto others. This is why XXFPs and XXFJs are especially adept at identifying illogical behaviour in other people but have a blind-spot in their own thinking. When feeling is introverted, it may even make XXFPs appear more stereotypically thinker-like than their XXTP counterparts at first blush.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
What have you been reading/watching/listening to which has prompted this question, [MENTION=1669]Maven[/MENTION]? I should think this kind of thing is pretty straightforward, but given how you've asked the question I'd be interested in the source material.

Linear thinking is not a properly defined concept, but a metaphor (i.e. meta-inference) about reasoning and follows from idiomatic expressions as to follow one's line of reasoning.

text (n.)
late 14c., "wording of anything written," from Old French texte, Old North French tixte (12c.), from Medieval Latin textus "the Scriptures, text, treatise," in Late Latin "written account, content, characters used in a document," from Latin textus "style or texture of a work," literally "thing woven," from past participle stem of texere "to weave," from PIE root *tek- "to weave, to fabricate, to make; make wicker or wattle framework" (see texture).

An ancient metaphor: thought is a thread, and the raconteur is a spinner of yarns -- but the true storyteller, the poet, is a weaver. The scribes made this old and audible abstraction into a new and visible fact. After long practice, their work took on such an even, flexible texture that they called the written page a textus, which means cloth. [Robert Bringhurst, "The Elements of Typographic Style"]

Logic is more concerned with the 'grammar' or 'rules' of reasoning, and as such it is stylistically more of a metalanguage.

Broadly, any metalanguage is language or symbols used when language itself is being discussed or examined. In logic and linguistics, a metalanguage is a language used to make statements about statements in another language (the object language). Expressions in a metalanguage are often distinguished from those in an object language by the use of italics, quotation marks, or writing on a separate line.

I associate linear thinking with Te so I strongly associate it with INTJ and ENTJ. Te seeks to organize the outer world and put things into the most efficient order to achieve objective results. So what is more visible externally seems like the product of linear thinking whether it is or not. Because nonlinear has to be more systemic to work, I associate this more with Ti.

Probably sensors with Te high in their stacks would also seem this way to me but historically I have not worked with as many sensors as I have worked primarily in software, which is less tabgible by its nature. I would suspect that because sensors have a focus on the physical that this alone may seern more like the product of linear thinking too even though anything observed there would also not necessarily reflect the actual thinking process that produces what is externally visible. I think this would be a little misleading.

Last edited:
Nevermind. I totally oopsed there.

Last edited:
ok, I think I understood what you said. Can you use an example that's not related to a video game, maybe a more practical example?

Put another way: a linear traveler vs. a nonlinear traveler.

The linear traveler wants and needs directions which they need to follow in order to get to town. They need to know what road to be on, where to turn, what road they will be on next. If they deviate too far from their instructions they consider themselves lost.

Nonlinear traveler doesn't need directions. This doesn't mean they know how to get to town either, it might be the first time they've ever been in the area, but they can infer where town is on their own - for example guessing the general direction of town. The nonlinear traveler won't consider their self lost, they know where they are going and they can get there, but it doesn't take any set rules or directions. They just pick a way that goes there, and there are no right or wrong ways perhaps. Additionally for some even getting there might not be all that important.

linear - one thing follows another in a deliberate way
logical - based on fact, reality etc

one is not necessarily in kahoots with the other tho

Reactions: Norton
linear - one thing follows another in a deliberate way
logical - based on fact, reality etc

one is not necessarily in kahoots with the other tho

Yes. Additionally logic is not necessarily linear, insofar that it doesn't have to be sequential.

Example is that a king + rook can checkmate a lone king eventually. This is actually linear though based on the superposition principle, but it is not linear in the sense of procedural thinking because the solution is not dependent on the position - it is inferred from many positions and has many solutions such that there's nothing that the lone king can do unless the other player makes an obvious mistake, and even then the lone king can't actually win, the best they can do is draw.

This could be proven procedurally by displaying all the move combinations, but one need not do that if they simply imagine the rook as having a fence line that the opposing king cannot cross, which will slowly but inevitably herd the lone king in.

[video=youtube;WeMYBXEhCL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeMYBXEhCL0[/video]
Practical example of the above.

In especially state and stateoriented/owned corporations I`ve noticed linear thinking is the most favoured. Logic always get booted out if it doesn`t apply to the interests.
This is probably cause if you deal with things logically you may just be to effective, wich leads to your own unemployment eventually. Logic is always based on reality Imo, Linear is how you do things when you do to much strategy.

Ok that was my own idealistic nature shining through. My logic is telling me that you do linear thinking when you plan something versus logic thinking when you execute them plans.

In especially state and stateoriented/owned corporations I`ve noticed linear thinking is the most favoured. Logic always get booted out if it doesn`t apply to the interests.
This is probably cause if you deal with things logically you may just be to effective, wich leads to your own unemployment eventually. Logic is always based on reality Imo, Linear is how you do things when you do to much strategy.

Ok that was my own idealistic nature shining through. My logic is telling me that you do linear thinking when you plan something versus logic thinking when you execute them plans.

Could be the Einstellung effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstellung_effect

Edit:
Or more to the point
The water jar test, first described in Abraham Luchins' 1942 classic experiment, is a commonly cited example of an Einstellung situation. The experiment's participants were given the following problem: you have 3 water jars, each with the capacity to hold a different, fixed amount of water; figure out how to measure a certain amount of water using these jars. It was found that subjects used methods that they had used previously to find the solution even though there were quicker and more efficient methods available. The experiment shines light on how mental sets can hinder the solving of novel problems.

In Luchins' experiment, subjects were divided into two groups. The experimental group was given five practice problems, followed by 4 critical test problems. The control group did not have the five practice problems. All of the practice problems and some of the critical problems had only one solution, which was "B minus A minus 2*C.” For example, one is given Jar A capable of holding 21 units of water, B capable of holding 127, and C capable of holding 3. If an amount of 100 units must be measured out, the solution is to fill up Jar B and pour out enough water to fill A once and C twice.

One of the critical problems was called the extinction problem. The extinction problem was a problem that could not be solved using the previous solution B-A-2C. In order to answer the extinction problem correctly, one had to solve the problem directly and generate a novel solution. An incorrect solution to the extinction problem indicated the presence of the Einstellung effect. The problems after the extinction problem again had two possible solutions. These post-extinction problems helped determine the recovery of the subjects from the Einstellung effect.

The critical problems could be solved using this solution (B-A-2C) or a shorter solution (A-C or A+C). For example, subjects were instructed to get 18 units of water from jars with capacities 15, 39, and 3. Despite the presence of a simpler solution (A+C), subjects in the experimental group tended to give the lengthier solution in lieu of the shorter one. Instead of simply filling up Jars A and C, most subjects from the experimental group preferred the previous method of B-A-2C, whereas virtually all of the control group used the simpler solution. Interestingly, when Luchins and Luchins gave experimental group subjects the warning, "Don't be blind," over half of them used the simplest solution to the remaining problems. Thus, this warning helped reduce the prevalence of the Einstellung effect among the experimental group.

The results of the water jars experiment illustrates the concept of Einstellung. The majority of the experimental subjects adopted a mechanized state of mind and relied on mental sets formed through previous experience. However, the experimental subjects would have been more efficient if they had employed the direct method of solving the problem rather than applying the same solution from previous examples.

No not an effect, a disease. Well anyways maybe your right sprinkles, but I`m sorry to say the cynic in me is have a really good day today. Many people dont seem to understand that our society is built on hard work taken out of our backs. State apparatus is just growing and the people that should be making somekind of product to contribute to us all is put at benches doing bogus work with no outcome other than that they took a bit of the hospitals and schools money, potentially making it harder for the ones making bacon. Doesnt anyone realise these kind of things?

About the effect :

Interesting and I can relate to it to, I work with forrestry and excavation-work. It`s interesting but ofcourse the machines often have small brakedowns and such.
These take a great effort to solve and many times there are new problems. In the beginning of my career, the Einstellung effect was very evident. Ofcourse your experience grows everyday and past problems help you solve the new ones but they are not solved in same ways necessary.

thanks for the responses. A good amount to digest. The reason I was curious about the difference is because I always thought that linear thinking was by nature logical. I also assumed logical thinking was naturally linear. Then one day I wondered whether my assumptions were well founded so I thought I'd ask. Someone pointed out that linear thinking is sequential thinking which implies a natural step-by-step "logical" process in the order or ideas. Then another member said linear thinking is defined as line of reasoning which I tend to see as separate from linear thinking. Anyone can use a particular logic (way of thinking) to justify their line of reasoning but that does not make the reasoning they use logical or sequential. However linear thinking suggests there's a more natural sense of progression from one thought or idea to another. In other words, there's usually some justifiable reasoning involved in linear thinking. For example, solving a math problem. Yes, there are more than one formulae for solving a quadratic equation. However, each method will likely be linear unless you're solving it intuitively. The linearity in solving a math problem implies logical progression of steps. Although they are not the same, there are strong similarities.

Last edited:
No not an effect, a disease. Well anyways maybe your right sprinkles, but I`m sorry to say the cynic in me is have a really good day today. Many people dont seem to understand that our society is built on hard work taken out of our backs. State apparatus is just growing and the people that should be making somekind of product to contribute to us all is put at benches doing bogus work with no outcome other than that they took a bit of the hospitals and schools money, potentially making it harder for the ones making bacon. Doesnt anyone realise these kind of things?

About the effect :

Interesting and I can relate to it to, I work with forrestry and excavation-work. It`s interesting but ofcourse the machines often have small brakedowns and such.
These take a great effort to solve and many times there are new problems. In the beginning of my career, the Einstellung effect was very evident. Ofcourse your experience grows everyday and past problems help you solve the new ones but they are not solved in same ways necessary.

Let me tell you a story.

My dad's a tugboat captain. Hauls barges around and moves ships around. At one point he and his crew had to move this boat between cities. I can't remember exactly where but I think they stopped by NYC or something.

Anyway. There were some low bridges they had to cross under to get to where they were taking the boat, and the bridges didn't raise, and they had the boat lowered in the water as much as it would go safely. However it still would not have fit under these bridges. So, what did they do?

They cut the top of the boat off. Welded it back on later. May seem crazy, but it isn't in the world of ships - they gotta do what they gotta do. Some ships have been cut in half and had a section added into the middle to make it bigger, while the ship was basically still in the water. They do that sort of thing.