Life in the Middle Ages | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Life in the Middle Ages

Some of the greatest Christian mystics come from this period. One of my favourite books is The Cloud of Unknowing - the author has a spark that you don't seem to get in more modern writers on mysticism. He is as profound as you could wish for, yet he is down to earth, to the point of earthiness, and he has some absolutely hilarious ways of describing the idiosyncrasies of his contemporaries. It's one of the best practical introductions to contemplative prayer that you could wish for, by a very civilised man. I'd love to have met him.

Reactions: Gaze
I learned how painfully and gruelingly the humanity has turned its wheel. The capability of arising amidst darkness and ignorance. The hope and power of faith. I salute those who lived through the middle ages, and forever grateful to be able to live in the present time.

Reactions: John K
I would rather live in China than Europe during this era for the stability.

Unfortunately, the Shanxxi earthquake almost killed a million people during this era.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyote and John K
Hmh. How to say this.. the funny observation that most people think perspective in art from back then was a back step, naive or overall missing compared to former times.
I rather like to call it multi-perspective or "Bedeutungsperspektive" (hierarchical proportion in english.. but the wording actually funnily is "meaning perspective"). *smirks*

Hmh. How to say this.. the funny observation that most people think perspective in art from back then was a back step, naive or overall missing compared to former times.
I rather like to call it multi-perspective or "Bedeutungsperspektive" (hierarchical proportion in english.. but the wording actually funnily is "meaning perspective"). *smirks*
In your view has art gotten better or worse with time? Is there a school of art you dislike?

In your view has art gotten better or worse with time? Is there a school of art you dislike?

As long as there is progress based on a purpose within its context I can find things I like about any kind of art. I might incline to say that I don't like this or that much at first but as soon as I dig into it I start to love parts of it. (Even if a piece was trying to make an oberserver dislike it on purpose to make a point, how could you not like it? Is a piece of art itself bad or does it just miss to be contrasted to another or something else to shine?)
For me personally art isn't purely aesthetics or technique..if I was evaluating it with wether it's good or bad I wouldn't be very honest about it... because it's a reflection of more than purely my context. It's adding a missing piece to its time and Geist and completes an argument about life. As long as I learn from it I'll value it. So I rather ask myself if I'm a good or bad art observer first and maybe figure out what it does within me.

I hope this thread gets a wider following because there are some really profound thoughts here.

I learned how painfully and gruelingly the humanity has turned its wheel. The capability of arising amidst darkness and ignorance. The hope and power of faith. I salute those who lived through the middle ages, and forever grateful to be able to live in the present time.

Yes I can feel this - it was a time of transition when we started to turn from savagery in the West to civilisation - but flavoured with the brilliant stars of religious mysticism inherited from the late Roman empire.

I would rather live in China than Europe during this era for the stability.

Unfortunately, the Shanxxi earthquake almost killed a million people during this era.

Have you read Marco Polo - it's a long time since I read some of his accounts of his journeys to the court of Kublai Khan but I'm still left with the vision of Fabulous Cathay. I think I must have lived there in a previous life - if I believed in such things lolol :hearteyes::hearteyes:

As long as there is progress based on a purpose within its context I can find things I like about any kind of art. I might incline to say that I don't like this or that much at first but as soon as I dig into it I start to love parts of it. (Even if a piece was trying to make an oberserver dislike it on purpose to make a point, how could you not like it? Is a piece of art itself bad or does it just miss to be contrasted to another or something else to shine?)
For me personally art isn't purely aesthetics or technique..if I was evaluating it with wether it's good or bad I wouldn't be very honest about it... because it's a reflection of more than purely my context. It's adding a missing piece to its time and Geist and completes an argument about life. As long as I learn from it I'll value it. So I rather ask myself if I'm a good or bad art observer first and maybe figure out what it does within me.

This really rings my bells. I've always felt that disliking or liking art is the same as it is with the news - except that the one is superficial and the other goes all the way in to the core if it is well done.

Have you read Marco Polo - it's a long time since I read some of his accounts of his journeys to the court of Kublai Khan but I'm still left with the vision of Fabulous Cathay. I think I must have lived there in a previous life - if I believed in such things lolol :hearteyes::hearteyes:
No, but I am familiar, the Netflix show is cool as hell and I am way behind.

Spoken like a real artist

bleach-episode-1-samme-mejias-5.gif