[PAX] - Life Goals & How To Reach Them | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Life Goals & How To Reach Them

We all have dream & ambitions for the future.

Some of these are practical, and others impossible. Some may change as we do, and others are entrenched in our very being & earliest memories.
There's no limit on how many goals we can set, but we have limited resources.

However,
We can help reach them together.

Most of us have skills - even if latent or unrecognised - which could help others. Surplus in our lives that we can share Or even similar aims, but no group to work with towards them.

What would you like accomplishing with your life?

And,

How can we help each other reach these places?

~ ~ ~ Addendum ~ ~ ~

I looked for a similar thread but couldn't find one. If our mods or anybody else knows one, please let me know and if desirable we can merge topics.

Inspired by @Pin for his constant self-improvement & commitment to his purpose.

I'd like to have music be less about capitalismic gain and more about exposure. I hate that people taunt the idea that having only exposure is a bad thing. I don't make music for a paycheck. Anyone can make that simple music. There's no emotion, no feeling, no beauty... aside from the "artist" who tends to look absolutely stunning 100% of the time.

We need this to stop...

On helping each other bring forth this... is simply by (and this is by no means self promotion... as i am pretty much the only one who is doing it this way... there are others like John Zorn, Cleric, and several others too... But mine is more um... soothing like Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler...)

...by listening to those who are "scratching the surface" underground. Instead of going to those namebrand capitalistic "artists"

Everyone's heard of Queen... but have you heard Devon Townsend?

Everyone's heard of Mozart, but have you heard Faure'?

What i'm pointing out is that most of society thinks i am being selfish for my cause... but it is far from it, and hell... I will be evotistical here... my music is truly better than 99% of the namebrand music released since i started. (which was back in 2010. unless you count my lyric writing then that goes back to 2001. but i no longer write lyrics because i am a horrible singer... no i know it... i would sing So instead of Fe or La. and my range is like 5 notes on three octaves. if i had more time to practice singing i would do such a thing... so instead i sing with my piano. :D

@ESC2367 - join a music-oriented underground subculture. There are entire music cultures (of different genres) outside the capitalist grind.

I would join... but there is no local underground scene here. (as far as i know)

My music is as underground as Beethoven and as mainstream as John Zorn.

"I" don't want to be known. i want my contributions to music to be known.

i am really trying to explain why i don't actively seek an audience... even though i want one... if that makes sense...

I would join... but there is no local underground scene here. (as far as i know)

My music is as underground as Beethoven and as mainstream as John Zorn.

i am really trying to explain why i don't actively seek an audience... even though i want one... if that makes sense...
What do you think your contributions to music are? Could you describe what it is that you're trying to achieve/innovate?

I've listened to your music, and it is not to my taste, but I seem to recall hearing somewhere that discord was once considered avant garde in Viennese (?) circles, and that there are still some classical music critics who share this opinion.

Reactions: Jexocuha
My contributions are fairly hard to describe.
I use dissonance as a means of setting a scene. (kinda like a scene that is not meant to be heart breaking.... but full of dissonance.)
Instead of Samual Barber's Adagio for Strings and Penderecki's Threnody for the Bictims of Hiroshima.

I use the threnody techniques, and impliment traditional sorrow. To advance a morecolourful scene.

In which i got the idea from film music... specifically from films who's music just sounds so bland or uncharacteristic. Which was inspired through this...

My music is not intended for people who wouldn't enjoy it. It's for those who can understand the language of music... i have a vast level of music knowledge and theory, everythibg is as intentional as anything David Lynch has done.

So i am aiming for people to appretiate music for what it is. I hate that people have tastes of music. Music is music. Why discriminate upon your tastes?

I mean, (to use Harry Potter.) JK Rowling is transphobic. The later films have bland music. However the story is what attracted people. Plus the music from the first films made them memorable, much like the Sideways Video points out. (i share that opinion so i am using that as an example.)

But your taste, like so many otherswould prefer the bland 5th to eighth film music because it is so much more thrilling.

The first three films were amazing music they offered characters and such.

This is where my music comes in. Most people are visually compelled by music. It helps them connect with the music a bit easier. Like with Samual Barber's Adagio for Strings, it is undoubtingly known as a sorrowful piece, and has been used in a few films. Yet people don't know as much on Gloomy Sunday. (which is known as the Suicide Song) or even Gorecki's Symphony No. 3 (third movement.
Gorecki is over shadowed by Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6. Both are equally horrowing.

However, In my case of music, It is about as wide in spectrum in sound that no matter what film you've seen in your life, i make my music to be like a scene from a film... through auditory perception rather than visual representation. There is subtle nuances that i've taken theough techniques offered by Mahler's Tenth Symphony (unfinished.)

and incorporate the more current sound of metal and dissonant metal. Paired with Xenakis shaped archetecture. :3

tm;dr version... my music is omnigenre. It covers every genre at it's most epistemological level. So simply my music is your taste you just don't realize it on your first listen. :D

So simply my music is your taste you just don't realize it on your first listen. :D
I've listened again to the music you posted.

I'm afraid that I just do not enjoy it. While I'd be willing to admit that I'm simply too Philistine to enjoy it, I think that it suffers from the fundamental problem with 'dissonance' in general - that the lack of harmony tends towards entropy. Or in other words, the more chaos in the composition, the less it 'exists', the more it just fades into a kind of undifferentiated mass of white noise. There is no structure to hold onto; it does not make me feel anything but confused.

I'm sorry if I don't understand what you're trying to achieve; I'm sorry if 'critique' is counterproductive to you or if I've made some misstep in taking your superlative claims seriously.

I suppose that art must be pursued for its own sake, regardless if it's comprehensible only to the artist, so for that I wish you luck in realising your vision.

Have you listened to the rest of my music?
The very first piece of the Series is titled Misunderstood. (because i know how easy it it to be misunderstanding on the music.)

The rate of you being confused is exactly what i want you to feel. (but it is overlooked as the video is toppled on it's side.)

I have 6 albums that are what i am referencing to in my previous post.

The reason you are so confused is because you're entering on the second season of an audio music series. That's like watching a random scene out of context.

Start from the beginning and stick through the entire series... (well first season.) The go back and listen to the youtube video.

This is the exact reason my music is hard to market. It's why i just let it sit and fester through time. (even though my actions seem opposite that...) the youtube ones are quite ironic in this aspect.... look at the youtube's description. lol it will bring much light. (it also has a link to Season One)

It's comprehensible to those who are caught up with the series as three characters are in "Exposed" unless you listened to the piece that is of my signature... then that is something that is very very deep and cannot be simply explained by anything... but a closer look to my profile photo.

Surely you can appretiate a story that holds several levels.

also to add... Second Vienese school is where a lot of inspiration holds.

Lil' ol' me?
Yes lol lil' ol' you *hugs*
Perhaps it is my perception of you instead of yours, but I admire how you work towards things. I'm sure many of us here do, and don't talk about it much.

That's a lovely sentiment, though the way industries work is, we have to put ourselves out there. That's not to say you even have to sell them; rather, if somebody hasn't ever heard of you they aren't going to be looking for your work.
Like the man said, if you're doing this for your own artistic expression and have no interest in propagating your songs, then great, that's a very healthy way to get feelings out.

Consider this like, a networking thread.
(I'm sure some of you love hearing that, haha)
Where we can share what we'd like achieving, and then we collectively brainstorm how we can help each other reach those goals.

It doesn't have to be tangible help either. Sometimes offering to hold each other accountable is all people need. Or words of encouragement for when we do well.
Similarly, these don't have to all be professional ambitions. For example if I hold a dream to travel to the Czech Republic we could talk about that here. Or if we have personal vices we'd like to shake, or virtues we wish to improve upon, we can discuss how to go about that.

It all comes down to us,
and what we want our lives to amount to <3

Be careful with how much importance you place on your goal. I accomplished one of my goals and was almost lost afterward. It is good to have a "next" in mind.

This is a good idea, Winter. Though, I'm not entirely sure how it could be practically applied in the tangible given most of those here holding their privacy as sacred. Perhaps, tangentially possible if the 'help' is broad enough to influence those who needed it. Unfortunately, many goals we set for ourselves are unattainable either because they are too lofty and unrealistic given our talents/circumstances/limitations, or because as you said there is no support (financial or otherwise). It helps to break a goal up into chunks of what is actually doable in a time frame. I tend to use the applications for setting S.M.A.R.T. goals or OKRs, though incredibly monotonous at the onset, if one has resolve and self-discipline they ensure goals set are entirely feasible and reachable within a given timeline.

I'll add some resources below:

https://clockify.me/blog/productivity/smart-goals/

https://www.whatmatters.com/get-started/

As for your questions:
What would you like accomplishing with your life? How can we help each other reach these places?

I'd like to serve others in some capacity for the rest of my life (I've done it in spurts by teaching, working for non-for-profits, etc., but eventually I hope to do it full-time). There is nothing more profound than the moments I've stepped outside of myself to push past my limits of what I thought possible. I recently donated $15K to give to a local charity by setting goals using the applications above. It is doable to push yourself past what you know, and past what you think you are capable of. A quest for meaning is paramount, and what that looks like may differ for each of us or be wound up in different entities.

Sometimes, our goal is idealistic but not unattainable-- just think of ways in which you can make it work, how can you break it apart to manageable portions, how can you push yourself to learn/grow/develop skills, how can you meet a deadline you set for yourself, how can you incorporate and utilize your skills and how can others use your skills, how can you be held accountable to it, how can you utilize the skills of the group to benefit everyone, how can you effectively and collaboratively work with others to ensure a goal is met, what can you share with others that may benefit them because you've learned it works, etc.

Often, people think their talent is enough. It is only enough for a very small percentage of people who are great at networking or in the right place at the right time. Just think of celebrities who make it big due to the off-chance encounter of their talent being recognized by someone with the means to project their dreams forward. It is a rarity, so to fall back on that is irrational. It is best to focus on what you can do with what you have and the circumstances you're in. Not everyone can be a 'big-shot', or be what the world deems as 'successful', but that isn't what is important. What is integral is if you are actually contented with your choices in life. Having healthy expectations for where you will go in life is essential. Often people lose themselves in their dreams, and have no practical means to accomplish them. Grounding oneself is important, and often it takes someone to speak in truth and 'deflate' us a bit, in order to see from a realistic perspective.

Research suggests that as long as your goals lead to a fulfillment of what is meaningful to you in life, then you will be satisfied and feel a sense of accomplishment. Thus, therein lies 'success'.
(research link provided here)

Frankl often wrote about this quest for meaning, and why it is essential regardless of circumstances.
"This uniqueness and singleness which distinguishes each individual and gives a meaning to his existence has a bearing on creative work as much as it does on human love. When the impossibility of replacing a person is realized, it allows the responsibility which a man has for his existence and its continuance to appear in all its magnitude. A man who becomes conscious of the responsibility he bears toward a human being who affectionately waits for him, or to an unfinished work, will never be able to throw away his life. He knows the 'why' for his existence, and will be able to bear almost any 'how'."

So, how can we help one another figure out goals? I think the primary thing we can do is to spur one another on to a pursuit of meaning. The rest is just logistics.

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughtful entry & links @Anomaly
Encouragement (or bouncing ideas) is definitely welcome here. I understand most people cherish their privacy; for those of us who aren't as concerned, we may be able to help each other in more tangible ways.

I expect my life will leave me feeling unsatisfied, but this doesn't seem bad to me.
It is a person with a full belly who says, "this is enough for me". I wish to remain hungry; it keeps me going.
Though, taking stock of where we are doesn't hurt. A little morale boost.

Having healthy expectations for where you will go in life is essential
I've read this is the secret to happiness in most Nordic countries.

Thank you for your thoughtful entry & links @Anomaly
Encouragement (or bouncing ideas) is definitely welcome here. I understand most people cherish their privacy; for those of us who aren't as concerned, we may be able to help each other in more tangible ways.
I expect my life will leave me feeling unsatisfied, but this doesn't seem bad to me.
It is a person with a full belly who says, "this is enough for me". I wish to remain hungry; it keeps me going.
Though, taking stock of where we are doesn't hurt. A little morale boost.
My pleasure. I agree that it could be good for some to get a few ideas in how they could be effective moving forward. Dissatisfaction to that degree is necessary, and it drives innovation, as 'what is' now, doesn't need to be 'what is' later. I have the same hunger, in that regard, and especially for those I see in my life who are floundering in a sea of dread with no true aim. I long to scoop them up, dust them off, and set them on a direct course. Though, sometimes, these lessons take a long time to ingrain themselves enough to be fruitful in a constructive way. It doesn't help that often, when I let those in my life know what path they are on, they tend to bristle or not believe me. That's ultimately their choice, but it almost always comes to pass. My mother is one such person, and it's difficult to see her constantly orient herself stubbornly, but my job isn't to force her, it's to lovingly guide in the hopes she'll find her own way there. Thanks for making this entry, Winter.

I've read this is the secret to happiness in most Nordic countries.
Interesting. I didn't know that, but it makes sense. : )

Great thread! I really like the idea @Winterflowers of figuring out a process for achieving goals. I struggled with completing some household projects and I think if I had a process to follow, it would be easier. I get overwhelmed with all the things I need to accomplish and often don't know where to start such as how to unclutter all the mess :D. So, if anyone has an idea of strategies or specific steps they use to approach these types of tasks, bring it on! :) Maybe I can help myself a little by starting off with this:

• Assess the mess or clutter - why is it clutter? (Very Marie Kondo-ish) :D
    • What kinds of things do I have to unclutter?
      • Disposable
        • What can I send to the trash?
        • What can I shred?
          • Is it economical and convenient to shred or take it a shredder?
      • Non-disposable
        • Can it be recycled or donated?
          • Recyclable or repurposed?
        • What can be donated?
      • What about papers or documents?
        • Can they be stored and sorted later?
        • Can they be stacked or scanned?
          • Can they be scanned to the cloud?
            • Is it time-consuming?
      • What about books
      • Is it for future use, or is that wishful thinking?
      • Will I really need it later?
      • Does anyone need it more than I do?
    • Can I recycle or donate?
      • If I can't recycle, can I give it away or dispose of it?
      • If I donate, where can I donate, and how?
    • Can I put some in storage?
      • Do I have enough space for storage?
  • If the goal is to sort or organize, what supplies do I need?
    • Boxes, bags, drawers?
      • Can I consolidate?
    • Cleaning supplies?

That's as far as I got :D.

What would you like accomplishing with your life?
How can we help each other reach these places?

1) What would you like accomplishing with your life?,:
Nowadays, the main things in my mind to accomplish, inspire of what I write here and in my planner, in whatever remaining time I have in my life it boils down to 3 ultimate ends - 1) Finally for once in my adult life, find peace within myself, in my environment, with everyone I encounter, and with whatever outcome all this amounts to. I want to be able to confidently say, I've done my best, I'm content, and I'm ready to go in peace at any day or time. 2) I want to live out the remainder of life in better health. I want my physical and mental health and wellbeing to no longer be compromised by other's standards, circumstances, and my own limited self-discipline. 3) This may sound silly, and I know psychologically deep down I choose an avoidant stance with projects, worksholism, and staying busy to hopefully dissipate this, because there's no guarantee and I've never felt safe or in a good place with this. But I hope one day I could possibly figure out how to have a good and trusting and healthy relationship with a woman. I don't have to get married and all that. I don't even need someone to live with me(I've already crossed that road mentally if the possibility of being alone when I die, or just in contact with immediate family members). But I had such a restrictive, unguided, and ultimately self-destructive struggle with this, that I know one day, Ill just have to fess up to it, either figure it out, or drastically alter something in my life to let it go and be done with it. Anyway...