Keep in mind | INFJ Forum

Keep in mind

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
The ideal person uses ALL of their cognitive functions, not just one, two, or even four.

While it is perfectly natural for all of us to compartmentalize and specialize our function preferences and development, we should all be trying to increase and develop our capacities with all of our functions, even the ones that are awkward or even antagonistic for us.

Keep that in mind when dealing with other Jungian archetypes. They have a lot to teach us about our own functions, whether they share our favorites or our nemesis. All of the functions are valid and even those who seem to have nothing to offer us actually have a great deal to teach us if we would just accept their perspectives as not only valid, but admirable.

Reactions: acd and Puck
Very good advice :)

I'm guessing pretty much everyone uses all 8 functions at least occasionally, and over time with a greater breadth of experience the capacity to use all functions in full would probably increase. I don't really think we need to work on it (although that couldn't hurt), it would occur as a spontaneous response.

I'm guessing pretty much everyone uses all 8 functions at least occasionally, and over time with a greater breadth of experience the capacity to use all functions in full would probably increase. I don't really think we need to work on it (although that couldn't hurt), it would occur as a spontaneous response.

Sometimes when we look at these functions under a magnifying glass, it is easy to begin to look at them as antagonistic to our comfort zone of thought process. And yes, while people use all 8 and develop them spontaneously, it can be easy to reject their use if you know what to avoid. For example, many introverts avoid using their extroverted functions more than necessary. Many intuitives avoid using their sensing functions past comfort zone levels. And to make matters more difficult, once these functions are identified in others, it can lead to walls being formed against those people's traits.

I just wanted to remind people to be open to growth and to challenge their comfort zones for their own benefit, because when it all boils down, the point to all of this MBTI stuff is to become the best person we can be.

You two have avatars that would make cute cubs ;) ;)

Reactions: enfp can be shy
Sometimes when we look at these functions under a magnifying glass, it is easy to begin to look at them as antagonistic to our comfort zone of thought process. And yes, while people use all 8 and develop them spontaneously, it can be easy to reject their use if you know what to avoid. For example, many introverts avoid using their extroverted functions more than necessary. Many intuitives avoid using their sensing functions past comfort zone levels. And to make matters more difficult, once these functions are identified in others, it can lead to walls being formed against those people's traits.

I just wanted to remind people to be open to growth and to challenge their comfort zones for their own benefit, because when it all boils down, the point to all of this MBTI stuff is to become the best person we can be.

Good point. I agree with you, utilizing our least used functions could only serve in our own best interests.

helpful elf: lol, you're right :D

After all, cognitive functions are only present approximations of how our brains actually work. Obviously there aren't 8 strict mechanisms, and things are more like blur and smoothly distributed.

My theory for now is that the Se/Ni <-> Si/Ne is developed by hormonal effects and their perception by the brain during communication; while Fe/Ti <-> Fi/Te is entirelly due to external contact, such as breastfeeding. I rely on a few sources that combine Jung and Freud, but won't go into further details yet, because I don't have enough data yet.

Both axes of perception are clearly relative, though. So they could be adapted. For example, if you were raised by super-giants, capable of all types of physical things you can't possibly do, then your Se would feel to your brain as Si. etc... We shape each other, our brains are much more complex than the way we shape them for now. On average, we don't make good use of our genes, and it's not the genes' fault. It's mostly about how the existing brains treat the new brains (and their bodies).

Last edited:
Jung also stated that we tend to work primarily on our strengths until the midlife crisis, after which point we begin to work more on our weaknesses. While development of all functions is possible, don't fret if it doesn't happen on your own timeline.

Thanks dude, I'm totally sick of hearing how S's are inferior to N's. :(