Joan Watson, from Elementary, is a textbook INFJ | INFJ Forum

Joan Watson, from Elementary, is a textbook INFJ

sassafras

Jun 17, 2009
MBTI
So I started watching Elementary the other week and while I admit I came in with lower expectations because of BBC Sherlock, I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality and entertainment value of the series.

However, it's not the show I want to discuss here. Its the character of Joan Watson. In my opinion, she is an excellent example of the INFJ type and the purest INFJ I've yet seen on television to date. Everything about her screams it. I urge interested parties to watch even just one episode and consider the way the character carries herself; the way she interacts with the other characters; her facial expressions; her calmness; her quiet compassion. That is the body language of an INFJ. Furthermore, her back-story lends further credence to this theory. She is an ex-surgeon who's patient died on the operating table because of a mistake she made. While there were no legal ramifications, she lost her job and still regularly pays respects at their grave-site. To pay the bills, she became a sober companion and this how she initially meets Sherlock, a recovering heroin addict who's father had hired Joan to help him make the transition from rehab to 'normal' life.

Of course, anyone familiar with Sherlock Holmes lore knows that Sherlock would be no ordinary patient. Joan, who has up to now been struggling with an existential crisis and trying to find a new purpose to her life, quickly finds herself being caught up in the fascinating and dangerous world of Sherlock Homes.

At first, Sherlock is rather reluctant to take on a 'babysitter' and he does his best to repel her any way he can (which is why he decides to take her with him on his first case) but he quickly discovers that she's no slouch and she ends up playing an integral part in solving the case. She may not be as aware or involved in her surroundings the way Sherlock is and in fact, she leaves the detail-oriented clue-sniffing to him, but Sherlock becomes particularly interested in her insights and even declares her as being highly intuitive. She's usually the first to get the realization that something 'doesn't fit' (particularly when it comes to people's motives and intentions) and that gets the ball rolling for the two of them to figure out what that 'it' is. Furthermore, while she isn't gregarious or overly social, she has a quiet way of relating with people and she's the one who reigns Sherlock in when he's being an insufferable dickhead and gains the information she needs with compassion and understanding in a manner that's almost cerebral but nonetheless genuine.

There is only 16 episodes so far, but from what I've seen, I'm 100% convinced Joan Watson is INFJ.

Reactions: hn87c901
I like the show, when you think about it Holmes' blind spot is intuition and feeling, and he is smart enough to know it. It is telling that Doyle wrote during the birth of psychology as we know it.
and Lucy Liu is very good at it.

Have you watched the BBC "Sherlock" (on netflix), what do you think of their Watson?

Are you suggesting that Sherlock is inferior to Elementary? There is perhaps one mediocre episode in the entire series; most are well thought out and intelligent. There are certain leaps in logic but overall it's one of the best programmes on TV.

Are you suggesting that Sherlock is inferior to Elementary? There is perhaps one mediocre episode in the entire series; most are well thought out and intelligent. There are certain leaps in logic but overall it's one of the best programmes on TV.

Where exactly did I suggest that?

OMG! Sherlock kicks ass!. that whole thing with the Moriarty shill. (0h Sherlock, your so ordinary) that said, Lucy Liu's Watson is way more compelling

Where exactly did I suggest that?

So I started watching Elementary the other week and while I admit I came in with lower expectations because of BBC Sherlock, I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality and entertainment value of the series.

It sounded as though Sherlock had caused you to have low hopes with any show based on Sherlock Holmes.

Of course you could have meant the exact opposite, that you didn't believe an American show which looked like another procedural crime drama could match up to Sherlock. That's pretty much the reason I haven't watched Elementary.

It sounded as though Sherlock had caused you to have low hopes with any show based on Sherlock Holmes.

Of course you could have meant the exact opposite, that you didn't believe an American show which looked like another procedural crime drama could match up to Sherlock. That's pretty much the reason I haven't watched Elementary.

It was the latter, actually. I've never been much of a fan of the procedural crime genre and the reason why I absolutely adored Sherlock was because of the characters. I had my reservations about Elementary because I didn't think they could do any different (or better) but you know, I'm glad I didn't dismiss it. The crimes themselves aren't anything spectacular or clever when you look at them in isolation, but it's the characters that sell it. I actually enjoy Johnny Lee Miller performance as Holmes. He's got a more human element to him than Benedict's interpretation. I also think the way the show brought Watson and Holmes together is pretty brilliant. Lucy Liu is just excellent all around.

I'm not too upset when I miss an episode, but I do enjoy it when it's on. I'm also entertained by my theory of Joan Watson as an INFJ. It's rare to find the personality type in television.

It was the latter, actually. I've never been much of a fan of the procedural crime genre and the reason why I absolutely adored Sherlock was because of the characters. I had my reservations about Elementary because I didn't think they could do any different (or better) but you know, I'm glad I didn't dismiss it. The crimes themselves aren't anything spectacular or clever when you look at them in isolation, but it's the characters that sell it. I actually enjoy Johnny Lee Miller performance as Holmes. He's got a more human element to him than Benedict's interpretation. I also think the way the show brought Watson and Holmes together is pretty brilliant. Lucy Liu is just excellent all around.

I'm not too upset when I miss an episode, but I do enjoy it when it's on. I'm also entertained by my theory of Joan Watson as an INFJ. It's rare to find the personality type in television.

Elementary seemed more like the movie Sherlock, which, while not bad wasn't very intelligent or interesting. That said, character progression is also highly important to me in what I watch so I might give it a try.

That's true, I can only think of maybe a single INFJish character on TV. I don't watch much television so that may be the reason, but I can still remember quite a few INTJ and INTP characters, even though they're also rarely seen.

I registered solely to reply to this topic and to ask a few questions. (I'm a little late to the party, I know. Sorry.) Watson has become my favourite character on television, and the OP stated many valid points proving why Watson is an INFJ, but I've realized some viewers are claiming that Watson is really an ISFJ.

(I've never done this before, but I'm gonna give this a shot. My apologies if I ramble. I hope that it will, at least, make some sense.)

Watson operates a lot on emotions and she, of an intuitive nature as well, uses this skill to make her meaningful connections with people. She also retreats to her room often to (I assume) recuperate from being bombarded by the emotions and vibes of others/take a break from subconscious reading of body language. You know, all the INFJ stuff that I won't bore you with. People question why she let her license expire after her accident resulting in the death of her patient because, after all, aren't doctors trained for that sort of stuff? Though what the book teaches is never the same as the experience itself. From how I see it, Watson takes her responsibilities seriously. She's quite the perfectionist, and I'm pretty sure being the cause of disappointment is one of her greatest fears. Her goal in life is to help people (greater good, purpose in life, part of a bigger picture, etc. People is the focal point of her life). For me, the fact that a life was lost due to her 'incapability' was enough cause to implement a permanent scar for her not to return to doctoring. Is that reason enough for any other Elementary fans out there? Because it is for me, and I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that baggage of guilt is enough to put an INFJ off doctoring. The reserved nature is also another factor that convinces me she's INFJ, but it could be part of her upbringing. East Asian cultures aren't exactly known for being open and outgoing.

On the other hand, Watson doesn't seem to be as 'dreamy' as I'd think an INFJ would be? Perhaps we haven't seen enough of her independent life, but she seems pretty down-to-earth and, well...less head-in-the-clouds. She might love to write, but she seems less likely to write in the poetry/flowery style of hidden meanings/symbolism. She also went into doctoring, which though an INFJ loves to help others, wouldn't the pressure of handling lives in the OR be too great? Perhaps the staggering fear of the possibilities of what might be was the catalyst for the accident. From how Watson spoke about her time in the hospital, she didn't seem to enjoy it much. I always thought doctoring was more of a NT career. She's also fond of collecting facts in general, from music to sports, which isn't exactly an INFJ trait, is it? I don't usually unless it's for a specific purpose, like if I'm writing a story, and facts are required.

Plus she's into detective work. I don't know. I guess it doesn't strike me as one of the top INFJ choice of work.

Like I said, I'm new to this comparing and contrasting types, and I might be coming across as having a narrow POV at the moment, but I'll be happy to be enlightened, if someone is kind enough to offer a hand.

Anyone up to the task of listing why or why Joan Watson would be INFJ/ISFJ? Or if she borders between the two? I'd love for someone to offer their input because this bugs me quite a bit.

Last edited: