Is it possible to have non-linguistic thoughts? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Is it possible to have non-linguistic thoughts?

@Elis
I ask because I don't think knowing is the same as understanding.

For example there's this game that I play in Japanese where I don't understand the buttons but I know what they do. As in the buttons have a kanji on them which I can't read, but I still know the purpose of them. So really I don't know the linguistic meaning of the button, but I know the applied purpose of it.
Alright, I think your question threw me for quite a loop where I think things dilutes into a very complex set of questions that I don't think are that black or white. To answer your question in the most basic of ways I don't always understand my own thinking, often I just let my brain work in the background. I like to examine a problem then stop thinking about it. I will have the solution eventually without actively working on it. All the same from what I mentioned earlier I'll be inclined to feel like I have the answer. At this point I don't fully understand the minute details, I don't understand how it works I just know it will work. When I start spelling it out verbally piece by piece it comes out more lucidly where I can examine the steps. So if it answers your question then I can't lucidly examine the steps I take before that, or rather, I have the solution before I can lucidly examine the steps.

As I see it there is no objective meaning. Data is data. A tree is a tree, but it doesn't have any inherit meaning. When we communicate it won't mean anything unless we know how to decipher it. Sure, there is intent in what we might say but I wouldn't equate that to saying there is meaning in it. As I see it objective meaning doesn't exist for whatever it's worth.

A picture consist of bits of data. Even if it is created with intent in how it is to be rendered there is nothing objective about it. Who is to say that a digital photo objectively renders as a picture as we'd see it rather than just a jumbled set of information.

Reactions: Free, Ginny and Ren
Hm, some really interesting thoughts in this thread.

As for my own two cents, I agree with the majority here that we are not limited to linguistics in our thoughts. I sometimes think in words because it's useful, or because the actual words amuse me.

But sometimes I think in abstractions. My process is a bit like tentacles reaching to other parts of my mind. Finding the right information, the correct (or most interesting) patterns for the situation. For instance if I'm making dinner, sometimes I'll go through each of the steps using words. Because it's...fun. That sounds weird, but not sure how else to explain it. But other times I'll go from step to step without words, finding what's needed for the task. Now the ingredients and tools often aren't in picture form, more ideas of what I need, they might even be represented as totally different symbols to what they are. And often my mind will get sidetracked in the middle of this, seeking patterns that may not be useful, but are relevant to the task. And so I go through the entire process of making dinner without ever using words.

More than not, I'll use both linguistic and non-linguistic methods of thinking. That's just the way it is for me. I don't know if that's why I find communication so hard at times. What I need to use to communicate are not the words, but the thoughts I'm having. And trying to translate them into words is a slow process. I would look forward to the day of telepathy, but then most people would run in terror when they see the things in my head.

Also some times a cat is just a cat. When you see an actual cat on an actual heater, it's not symbolic, it's a thing being itself. It might become a symbol when you recall it later as memory or knowledge, but I'd argue it's only trivially a symbol for the sole reason that your memory is not the actual cat.

The phenomenon itself of seeing a cat is not linguistic, but I think this stops being so obvious from the very moment that one thinks "a cat is just a cat", actually. Thinking that "a cat is just a cat" is very different than just seeing a cat. The former involves wondering about what "a cat" is, using the symbol cat for the animal that one sees that is a cat, etc. I'd be inclined to think linguistically about that thought.

It's just my opinion that philosophy and science don't exist in separate worlds. I provided an alternative perspective from another discipline.

I would tend to agree with that :) although philosophy is not science, the more rigorously scientific it can be about its claims, the better in my opinion. It's just that some sub-disciplines (like logic) will be more open to that than others, like ethics or aesthetics. Regarding your observation that the social nature of knowledge cannot be tested, my question to you would be: does that make you assume that then, knowledge must not be social in nature? Because that seems untested as well.

That is not exaclty possible for everyone. Because what you think at any one time is still less than the knowledge that you have. What you can do, though, is expand your knowledge by putting your knowledge in a different perspective to create new thoughts, and therewith new knowledge.

What I mean is that what you know can't be what you think, because everything you know influences what you think and the other way around.

I am only 80% sure about what you're going for here but if I got it, I'm not really seeing it being in contradiction with the paragraph that follows the quote you selected. I was trying to say: let's not focus on knowing, but on thinking, and on thinking an as activity that may lead to new knowledge, in opposition to a mere mental representation that only repeats an experience without "opening" it to scrutiny. For example: wondering about whether a cat is just a cat (scrutiny, openness to new knowledge), versus simply replaying having seen "the animal that was a cat" in one's mind (no scrutiny).

What you haven't thought of, @Ren, is that there must have been means of thought before there was communication, or words and signs to communicate with. Otherwise, we wouldn't have any means of communication now.

Yes! I honestly think the question about the genealogy of thought formation is the strongest argument against Wittgenstein's position, so far. Thank you for having mentioned it. I have in fact been thinking about it, but did not include it in my post because the post was already very long.... but no actually the real reason is that I don't have a genealogy consistent with W's claim yet :grin: However, I have a strong intuition that it is possible to offer such a genealogy. I will have to think about it more and hopefully, when the different fragments of thought coalesce I'll be able to propose something of the sort here. It is absolutely necessary, I agree. But again, I think it's possible.

Now let's define thought as our cognitive capacities. (...)
But in order to talk about this object, the child must already have identified and isolated objects into 'concepts' with certain properties in his mind that correspond to the objects in the outer world.

I think thought is more than our cognitive capacities, because of what I pompously called its "aboutness" in an earlier message. Thought (or so I claim, but I'm not the only one) is fundamentally about something, it is projected onto objects, in a way that the mere cognitive capacities are not. There is something more to thought, and (possibly) language is woven into this something more, as per the argument I laid out above. As for properties in the mind corresponding to objects in the outer world: well, my dear Lady Kant, I would agree that this conditions the possibility of the unity of perception, perhaps even of consciousness itself, but I am not sure that it constitutes the substance of thought or set its limits; I see it more as a formal property of the mind, not an "organic" part the process of thinking.

As I see it there is no objective meaning. Data is data. A tree is a tree, but it doesn't have any inherien meaning. When we communicate it won't mean anything unless we know how to decipher it. Sure, there is intent in what we might say but I wouldn't equate that to saying there is meaning in it. As I see it objective meaning doesn't exist for whatever it's worth.

Do you mean that you don't believe at all in the possibility of objective meaning? This seems extreme, and a challenge to the very possibility of scientific progress, universal systems of ethics, etc. But I think you might have meant something else... I'd be curious if you could expand on this, as the question of meaning is one that interests me a LOT :)

As I see it there is no objective meaning. Data is data. A tree is a tree, but it doesn't have any inherit meaning. When we communicate it won't mean anything unless we know how to decipher it. Sure, there is intent in what we might say but I wouldn't equate that to saying there is meaning in it. As I see it objective meaning doesn't exist for whatever it's worth.

If I understand you correctly, then you are definitely not using linguistic terms. We need to make a distinction here. The tree in of itself is an object. When we use the morpheme tree to describe it, the word has meaning as a morpheme, because it is a reference to the object in question, the signified to the word's signifier, both making up the sign. In a way you are correct in that the signifier is an arbitrary form which is not afilliated with the signified in any way other than it is used. However, in its perpetual use, the lines between signified and signifier has blurred, at least for native speakers this distinction does not exist. Therefore, even if it is not inherently objective, it has become objective in its heritage, because we ascribed meaning to it. This makes it just as objective as scientific fact. What else are dictionaries for, other than objectively recording and fixing this meaning, if only to keep up a momentary status in which this definition is valid? Of course, this also means that meaning and vocabulary is in a constant flow, because everyone uses words differently, adding and taking away meaning to and from it. But it doesn't mean that there is no meaning involved, not in linguistic terms.

@Ren I believe I was approaching Derrida again. If that is what is meant, then I get it.

@Elis You may have been thinking of significance, which is very different from meaning.

Reactions: Free, hush and Ren
@Ginny
I think you're right. I was just writing up a response to @Ren and I was just thinking the same thing.

edit: I managed to botch my response when I posted this but I agree with the points @Ginny made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Free, Ren and Ginny
I would tend to agree with that :) although philosophy is not science, the more rigorously scientific it can be about its claims, the better in my opinion. It's just that some sub-disciplines (like logic) will be more open to that than others, like ethics or aesthetics. Regarding your observation that the social nature of knowledge cannot be tested, my question to you would be: does that make you assume that then, knowledge must not be social in nature? Because that seems untested as well.

My 8th grade history teacher taught me the 1 thing I learned in school which is, never make assumptions! (I still do it, but not in this case.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Free, hush and Ren
The phenomenon itself of seeing a cat is not linguistic, but I think this stops being so obvious from the very moment that one thinks "a cat is just a cat", actually. Thinking that "a cat is just a cat" is very different than just seeing a cat. The former involves wondering about what "a cat" is, using the symbol cat for the animal that one sees that is a cat, etc. I'd be inclined to think linguistically about that thought.

Yes, however I'm not talking about what you think, I'm talking about what is. I'm not saying that you're thinking "a cat is just a cat," I'm saying a cat is a cat. By extension a picture of a cat is just a picture of a cat, as in you don't need to add anything to understand what it is. By extension a thought of a cat is just a thought of a cat.

Edit:
Also remember that we don't have to know what something is in order to think about it. You can think about a cat without knowing that it's a cat, so it's possible that the meaning of "cat" doesn't come into play.

It's the same with something that you've never seen before and you don't know what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Free and Ginny
Yes, however I'm not talking about what you think, I'm talking about what is. I'm not saying that you're thinking "a cat is just a cat," I'm saying a cat is a cat. By extension a picture of a cat is just a picture of a cat, as in you don't need to add anything to understand what it is. By extension a thought of a cat is just a thought of a cat.

Edit:
Also remember that we don't have to know what something is in order to think about it. You can think about a cat without knowing that it's a cat, so it's possible that the meaning of "cat" doesn't come into play.

It's the same with something that you've never seen before and you don't know what it is.

I understand what you’re saying in two different ways.

The first is this: “A thought of a cat is just a thought of a cat, like a cat is just a cat.” Sure, a thought is a thought. But I’m not sure the law of identity (“x=x”) says anything about whether thoughts are inherently linguistic or not. A sentence is just a sentence, too; and yet is it linguistic. So the linguistic nature of things must reside somewhere else.

The second way I understand your post is: “It’s possible to reason by extension from the non-linguistic nature of seeing a cat, to the non-linguistic nature of looking at a picture of a cat, to the non-linguistic nature of mentally representing a cat, to the non-linguistic nature of thinking about a cat.” But this takes for granted that the acts of seeing, mentally representing and thinking are similar enough in substance to allow this reasoning by extension. I think it’s a slippery slope to link seeing and thinking in that way without providing a clear explanation of why they can be linked. Otherwise a reductio ad absurdum argument might assume that in such conditions, one could continue extending the reasoning from thoughts to concepts and theories, and come to the conclusion that concepts and theories can also be non-linguistic, which seems thorny.

In my first long post in this thread, I tried to propose a definition of thinking that (maybe at the cost of over-specification) clearly separated it from both seeing and experiencing mental images, in such a way as not to allow this reasoning by extension (beyond seeing → having mental images). Of course the definition was my own, and it was articulated in such a way as to make possible a defense of Wittgenstein. But either way, it would be useful if you could tell us what you yourself mean by “thought”. Maybe you do believe that simple mental representations/pictures are also legit thoughts? If so, then I think it’s clear that we can conclude that some thoughts are non-linguistic in nature. My impression is that many people in this thread commit to exactly this view :)

Reactions: Free
Okay! I got two questions for you guys ;)

1) Do you think it's possible to speak words and think something else at the very same time?

2) What do you see here? And how do you think a person would process this without the use of language?

6c550c251a6fa4a15acc5a3890081b6e

Reactions: Free and James
My favourite philosopher is Descartes. Yeah he's French @Ren don't make a big deal out of it lol.

I think of the world in "music" and I think wasted a lot of time trying to rationalise everything. I like to work things out and understand them to try to get things done effectively. When I was younger I hoped I could "build a computer" that would fix everything.

Sadly I think that's never going to happen. Et Godel and Turing and all. I do wonder what the answer will eventually be.

Reactions: Free and Ren

1) Do you think it's possible to speak words and think something else at the very same time?

2) What do you see here? And how do you think a person would process this without the use of language?

@Ren
1. Yes, I do this pretty regularly. I don't know if it's normal, but I can think of a few different things at the same time, but only two or three lines of thought at once. My ability to focus decreases as I do this though.

2. I see a lot of things there. I can also process this without language. There's the whole "I see a rabbit and/or duck" thing which is what you get when you're trying to put names to things, but I can also see things that I don't have names for. I also see things that people wouldn't ordinarily say, such as fruit, fish, or wood. I see some kind of tree seed, some kind of organ. I see black lines and white space. I see curves and dots. I see clouds and tall grass blown by the wind. I see a lot of things in there.

It's definitely possible. There's even a word for it, Aphasia. It's actually quite common in people who have difficulties with speech, or those with neurological differences.

I think @sprinkles really hit the nail on the head there. There's numerous ways to process that without language. Though, of course, you could say that, in processing the above as binary code, or as geometric shapes, we're still using a kind of language. Just not one with words.

I love this sketch from A Bit of Fry and Laurie. Not only is it funny, but it is such an interesting and fascinating examination of language. How we fail to to utilize it, how, by repeating the same patterns, we're missing out a huge advantage to explore ideas. it's It's also an excellent example of an atypical use of language.

@Tin Man

There is also the unary system where you represent a number of things with the same number of symbols. e.g. five would be ||||| so it doesn't just represent the number, it is the number.

I think @sprinkles really hit the nail on the head there. There's numerous ways to process that without language. Though, of course, you could say that, in processing the above as binary code, or as geometric shapes, we're still using a kind of language. Just not one with words.
That's not language in the way I think we mean here. Language is a kind of information transfer or encoding, but not all kinds of information transfer or encoding are languages. In fact, linguists talk about a specific set of criteria that must be demonstrated for something to be called a language. I remember some were syntactic structure and recursiveness, but I don't remember the others from my cognitive class. I found this older classification online, though it has some holes in it I think:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockett's_design_features

Reactions: Free, Ginny and Ren