INxJ? | INFJ Forum

INxJ?

Jun 5, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Primarily 5, close 6
So I tend to be pretty rational, down to earth, etc. I keep my emotions bottled very, very well- so well that I often seem cold and blunt. But that is just my shell- when you crack it, I'm deep, emotional, and extremely empathetic. I can brainstorm good ideas, but I'm not artsy. At all. I like computers and math. At the same time though, I am practically psychic and have big dreams and ideas about the world and the impact I will make. I have a real conflict going on here. I feel like INTJs are too insensitive and uncaring compared to me, but INFJs are too artsy, dependent, and emotional. Where do I lie?!

I have the same problem as you do. I think maybe smart INFJs get tested as INTJs? I have strong feelings about things but they rarely are shown. I have many INFJ characteristics but I am very objective in my thinking and rational too... Hard. Maybe you should go into detail about your personality so we could figure you out.

Well, I have Asperger's, so I almost think that I'm an INFJ and my bluntness and stuff comes from Asperger's. Do you think this could be the case?

I'm an INFJ, majoring in Biology and Creative Writing. I also love math. Not all infjs are super artsy. I'd say I am in between.

Also, not all infjs are dependent and emotional. I feel emotion very deeply but rarely express it. I am also very independent, more so than my INTJ best friend.

Last edited:
Well, I have Asperger's, so I almost think that I'm an INFJ and my bluntness and stuff comes from Asperger's. Do you think this could be the case?

Yes, I think this might be the case. Are you interested in people? Are you caring? Do you think about humanity and it's destiny? Are you an idealist? If you have aspergers you probably don't pick up social cues and expressions that well? I thought of having aspergers but my friends and family insisted that I don't because I read people very well. I mean they are like an open book to me. I know how to act normal in social situations, I just don't want to because it drains me. There is INTJ vs INFJ test in the internet too, if you can find it. I got tested as an INFJ.

Yes, I think this might be the case. Are you interested in people? Are you caring? Do you think about humanity and it's destiny? Are you an idealist? If you have aspergers you probably don't pick up social cues and expressions that well? I thought of having aspergers but my friends and family insisted that I don't because I read people very well. I mean they are like an open book to me. I know how to act normal in social situations, I just don't want to because it drains me. There is INTJ vs INFJ test in the internet too, if you can find it. I got tested as an INFJ.

http://www.celebritytypes.com/test/infj-or-intj.php This.

I got infj based on this. But no. If I were an infj I would be a very weak F. Possibly I fluctuate between F and T with specific people and situations. But I can say this. When I feel like everything is against me, I deal with my problems in a very T way. When I have to deal with people personally I always express a barrage of T. I've learned to be more tactful. But when I'm devastated F sparks my motivation, but T guides me out into the light. Okay then... T and F work together. Let's go with that!

I also feel much more practical, in control, and rational than many INFx that I meet, and I feel the same way you do about taking names and bringing change. Nobody said that INFJs aren't allowed to like things that are a bit boring, and it doesn't stop you from being the awesome INFJ you know yourself to be. It's nice to meet you :)

Look at the cognitive functions. INFJs can be pretty darn rational and level headed, they have introverted thinking as their tertiary function. In the other hand, INTJs aren't really as unsympathetic as they are made out to be, quite the contrary actually, the few ones that i've met were pretty respectful, with a sort of backbone, but really easy going and funny.

I got infj based on this. But no. If I were an infj I would be a very weak F. Possibly I fluctuate between F and T with specific people and situations. But I can say this. When I feel like everything is against me, I deal with my problems in a very T way. When I have to deal with people personally I always express a barrage of T. I've learned to be more tactful. But when I'm devastated F sparks my motivation, but T guides me out into the light. Okay then... T and F work together. Let's go with that!

Nobody 'fluctuates between F and T' to whishy-washy back and forth between INTJ and INFJ. This is not how MBTI works. The only time 'more T or more F?' applies is when you are trying to decide on your type. Afterwards, you don't hop back and forth between an F type and a T type according to situations. Fe and Te are completely different functions. They are not divided by some invisible line that you stand closer to or further away from and determine 'weak F' or 'strong T's' That would require a complete re-ordering of your function stack...

And yes, you do have other functions in your stack and they are very important, as they express the growth and subtle changes in personality and priorities as you grow and develop as a person. Once you understand this, you'll stop thinking about mbti in this two-dimensional framework.

INFJs are holistic thinkers. Internally, they have a preference for seeing precision and perfection actualized in realty, but it takes them longer to process information in a purely linear way because they instinctively see all sides to a situation and have trouble deciding on the right course of action. And as judgers with introverted thinking, they do believe there is a right way to do things, they just can't put their finger on what it is. They do best in situations when they are able to go with the flow and not stop to over-think. As soon as they start over thinking, they're presented with too many options and they have a hard time choosing which one to go with and under-perform.

INTJs are linear thinkers. They have a preference for doing what feels right for them and they instinctively are able to cut through the crap and recognize what it is that needs to be done. They are efficient thinkers and have little patience for people obsessed with process rather than results. As judgers with introverted feeling, they believe their way is the right way. They do best in situations where a decision must be made quickly and acted upon. They suffer when they're asked to see the forest beyond the trees.

There is no mistaking a Fe for a Te or the other way around once you recognize that Ni is dominant.

INTJs are linear thinkers. They have a preference for doing what feels right for them and they instinctively are able to cut through the crap and recognize what it is that needs to be done. They are efficient thinkers and have little patience for people obsessed with process rather than results. As judgers with introverted feeling, they believe their way is the right way. They do best in situations where a decision must be made quickly and acted upon. They suffer when they're asked to see the forest beyond the trees.

Not entirely true. INTJs are only linear thinkers when dealing with a purely logical system. Otherwise, we're more lateral thinkers. Dealing with ideas from a global perspective and extrapolating from data available to create recognizable patterns.

Not entirely true. INTJs are only linear thinkers when dealing with a purely logical system. Otherwise, we're more lateral thinkers. Dealing with ideas from a global perspective and extrapolating from data available to create recognizable patterns.

True. But the patterns you recognize are those that are cause and effect or that otherwise adhere to a system as opposed to the colorful innards that characterize the more holistic Fe. Certainly, your thinking is more concise than impressionistic and that's communicated outwardly.

You're also much more decisive than the typical INFJ--you don't go back and change your mind often---though perhaps slower to take action than your extroverted and sensory counter-parts.

Last edited:
True. But the patterns you recognize are those that are cause and effect or that otherwise adhere to a system as opposed to the colorful innards that characterize the more holistic Fe. Certainly, your thinking is more concise than impressionistic and that's communicated outwardly.

You're also much more decisive than the typical INFJ--you don't go back and change your mind often---though perhaps slower to take action than your extroverted and sensory counter-parts.

Yes, but those patterns often aren't recognized in a straight forward or logical way.

A crime scene makes a good analogy for how Ni and Te work together. Ni might come to an an subconscious conclusion immediately as to how the crime was committed and the likely suspects involved, but Te will want a more thorough investigation. The Ni conclusion doesn't adhere to a logical system which causes Te to distrust it and so it look to facts and details to properly assess it's claims.

This confliction makes us slow to talk about Ni experiences so most INTJ descriptions focus on Te. This means we're primarily seen as overly logical and robotic, but don't disagree with this because it's fun when people see us as cold scheming Machiavellian types. :D

Yes, but those patterns often aren't recognized in a straight forward or logical way.

A crime scene makes a good analogy for how Ni and Te work together. Ni might come to an an subconscious conclusion immediately as to how the crime was committed and the likely suspects involved, but Te will want a more thorough investigation. The Ni conclusion doesn't adhere to a logical system which causes Te to distrust it and so it look to facts and details to properly assess it's claims.

True. But it wouldn't be a conscious process for you. That is, you wouldn't have to stop and consider 'maybe I should break this down for myself,' or 'I can't put my finger on why I'm not okay with this.' Rather, because it's second-nature to you, you'd immediately get to work and use Fi to fine-tune those first impressions rather than grapple with the typical self-doubt that comes with a tertiary Ti supplementing a Fe-user in the same endeavor.

This confliction makes us slow to talk about Ni experiences so most INTJ descriptions focus on Te. This means we're primarily seen as overly logical and robotic, but don't disagree with this because it's fun when people see us as cold scheming Machiavellian types. :D

Considering it's your Te is the judging function that's extroverted and thus more clearly communicated, that would make sense. Anyone with Te in their function stack tends to come across as less emotional than their Fe counter-part. Considering the more impressionistic F and N functions are both introverted, and Se is inferior, this goes triple for the INTJ.

I didn't realize they had this test, cool. I took it and tested 59% INTJ.

I know what you mean about the INTJ descriptions focusing on Te. I think it's pretty likely that I'm also INTJ because out if all the choices given on MBTI tests, the ones I pick are the closest answers for who I am that are available, but these questions leave out important dimensions of a person's personality. As I've gotten older I've realized the depth of my emotional life and the importance of relationships. The last few years I've learned to become more in touch with my feelings. I was never much of an inconsiderate jerk, even though I've had my moments, but I did neglect my emotional life for years. Now I'm swinging more toward the emotional end of the spectrum. I'm pretty sure it has to do with having to adapt to the emotional people around me and a stagnating career. Also, my kids touch my heart in many ways even if the spontaneity of their emotions flusters me sometimes. It catches me off guard. I really am not the best caregiver in the world, but I strive to be a better father than my father was.

Anyways, INTJs can be artists, have ideologies, and a deep well of feelings, both of which the descriptions tend to leave out.

Last edited:
True. But it wouldn't be a conscious process for you. That is, you wouldn't have to stop and consider 'maybe I should break this down for myself,' or 'I can't put my finger on why I'm not okay with this.' Rather, because it's second-nature to you, you'd immediately get to work and use Fi to fine-tune those first impressions rather than grapple with the typical self-doubt that comes with a tertiary Ti supplementing a Fe-user in the same endeavor.

I don't disagree with you. What I'm merely suggesting is that the process of an INTJ is rarely linear or straightforward. It doesn't go from a to b to c. It's more like it jumps to d then goes back to to the relevant parts of a, b and c to understand how it got there.

Considering it's your Te is the judging function that's extroverted and thus more clearly communicated, that would make sense. Anyone with Te in their function stack tends to come across as less emotional than their Fe counter-part. Considering the more impressionistic F and N functions are both introverted, and Se is inferior, this goes triple for the INTJ.

Yes, there's no doubt we come across as cold and distant to people who don't know us. However those who take the time to write about the behaviors and characteristics of a certain type of person should look at more than surface details. Of course INTJs are far from the only type out there with inaccurate descriptions written about them.

Thank you all for your input. I took the test and got 59% INFJ, so I suppose I am one. On a lot of those questions, though, both options sounded just like me! XD

on the MB Test I score INxJ as I scored dead even between T and F. So I take it I hold characteristics of both and you may as well

download (1).png

So I tend to be pretty rational, down to earth, etc. I keep my emotions bottled very, very well- so well that I often seem cold and blunt. But that is just my shell- when you crack it, I'm deep, emotional, and extremely empathetic. I can brainstorm good ideas, but I'm not artsy. At all. I like computers and math. At the same time though, I am practically psychic and have big dreams and ideas about the world and the impact I will make. I have a real conflict going on here. I feel like INTJs are too insensitive and uncaring compared to me, but INFJs are too artsy, dependent, and emotional. Where do I lie?!

The having big dreams and confidence in your eventual impact part is common to lots of young people, whether INFJ or INTJ. I think that no matter how bottled your emotions may be in normal circumstances, if you find that you have to make a strong conscious effort to conceal your emotions by controlling your facial expressions, and find it difficult to lie without it being written all over your face then that would be a good indicator that you are INFJ...

I read your little bio blurb, you like puzzles and rubix cubes you say? Incidentally, my younger brother who is an INTJ is very into those same types of games...