[INFJ] - introverted intuitions' intuitiveness...? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] introverted intuitions' intuitiveness...?

chad

Regular Poster
Feb 4, 2015
MBTI
infp
ok so out of all the functions introverted intuition tends to be the most intuitive as in,right brain functions has some variety,creativity fantasy intuitive random, ect...
tho ne is more creative, ni seems to be the most intuitive
ok could you guys give some examples when you just know things without knowing or why
or knowing the answer without taking the steps or logical deductions?
some personal examples thanks?

I wish [MENTION=387]IndigoSensor[/MENTION] were here to discuss it, but I just looked him up and his last post was in 2011! I can't believe time passes so quickly.

It's like music in my head that comes out of nowhere. When I hear that music, I know I have to follow it.

For someone who's never experienced it, the best way I can describe it is like the sense of fear you might have while walking alone in a dark street, feeling that someone is watching you or following you - the kind of fear that would make you want to break into a run. That sort of feeling, except without the fear.

When you know, ya gnow.

Ever play chess - or some game - with a close friend? Sometimes you know just the right move. And when they best you even then, that is a greater thrill yet.

To me introverted intuition operates somewhere between the conscious and subconscious, integrating sensory data and knowledge into a cogent mental image. Ni holds things both as perceived and understood, and can involve a broad vision/knowledge/sense of likely antecedents, present interpretations, and future possibilities. Fast conscious intuitive work then takes over sorting and prioritising the likelihood, desirability, consistency, etc. of each possible combination of various past, present and future variables to deduce the most likely scenarios.

Examples?
It is a constant process, but for example, walking into a room, the way that people are sitting/standing, looking at each other, looking at me already starts to form a broad picture. Then the way that people start talking and the order in which they talk virtually eliminates an explanation of roles. By the time I have started to read the first page of reports I already have an idea of problematic organisational structures/relationships and the possible problems these can create. I am seldom surprised by anything I end up reading, because I had already foreseen it as a possible and likely outcome of what I had initially observed. The field of solutions to problems are also very intense with me, and sometimes people are shocked that I'll hypothesize out loud about what I think might need to be done. The response is sometimes explicit: "It took us months to come up with some recommendations along the lines you are saying", other times people look at each other, as though one of them had briefed me before my arrival.

Of course, even though I trust my intuition, there is always a lot of work to verify it in a way that can check/verify/demonstrate its validity. On the odd occasion when I've gotten it completely wrong, it's because there has been some very careful deception/omission which both sends me into a short time of confusion, as entire fields of possibilities are wiped out and new ones start forming. I regain my clarity when closure approaches.

Last edited:
My intuitive knowing has logical steps. I am tuned into body language, choice of words, intonations, subjects discussed, facial expressions, eye movements, patterns of behavior, all sorts of connections, and some things beyond my understanding or explanation such as psychic influences. I tune into many things that happen on a level beyond the surface. This level is just as obvious to me if not more so than what is happening on the surface.

Are these examples?? (Though the test has me categorized infp.) Some of the examples here seem similar to how I process some things.

Today I was walking into a gas station and this man held the door for me. But our eyes totally met (not in a romantic way) and I instantly thought, "He is a police officer. Maybe a fireman." Instantly it occurred to me that he was used to assessing situations and people. I got that just from the way he looked at me and thought, "Cop." (He was in plain clothes.) I happened to glance out the window after grabbing something from the cooler and saw a squad car parked out front that I didn't notice on the way in. I thought, "I bet that's him." As I'm paying, I look outside and see him get into the squad car. Hell yes, I'm psychic! (Just kidding.) But I must have unconsciously noted the police car out front and not realized it was important til after meeting the man and then seeing it again through the window. I was oblivious to it until that point. Scary how I can overlook a mundane detail but then something will happen that triggers it's importance.

I'm always playing guessing games when I meet people and usually, I'm right. A long time ago an ex boyfriend brought me to a party and there was a woman there who was over the top nice to me and I suspected it had to do with her having unfinished business with my ex. After the party I said, "What did you do to her?" And he was surprised and then told me how he had jilted her years before.

I use this "guessing" to determine who is who.

Well, this may be slightly tangential, but I am crazy good at predicting big reveals and outcomes in movies/shows/books etc. It frequently baffles my friends when a character is revealed or something in a way that is meant to shock the audience and I've already figured out who it is before they even step on screen or their name is mentioned in the film/show. I'm pretty sure this is a result of my strong use of Ni.

In my experience, Ni uses both sides of the brain and tends to be strongest when they are both working together in harmony. In it's purest form, there is no judgement, simply observations that are being made that others who lack use of this function seem to "miss", but alas they are there. Our trade-off is that we often miss the "physically obvious", so Se doms/aux can laugh at us when we lose our keys in our hand. *laughs*

Ni also works in conjunction with Se. We tend to drift off, and then BAM! physical reality is back in your face. It's literally called a Ni-Se drift, I believe. It's literally in our instinct to let our minds go into a lull-zone when we are "doing" something

Reactions: acd
Well here's the thing OP--the thing about knowing things without knowing how is, indeed, often placed as a mark of intuition. I have come over the years to find it is more subtle than that. I think the classic opposition to the knowing things without knowing why is more or less standard scientific empiricism, which demands both logic and evidence and that logic fit the evidence. I think even people who employ the senses can have a sense of knowing without knowing how, because ultimately sensation is not a rational process. You may observe phenomenal events very closely, but ultimately irrational processing is associative more than logical.
It's scientific empiricism that enables you to know exactly how you know something -- place a theoretical framework around it that is confirmed by evidence. Cognition based on sensation involves only images, and any interpretation which happens is more passive.
Many scientific empiricists were, to Jung, a mixture of thinking and sensation, and that tends to be my sense too.

I am not sure if this is applicable, but my ability to meet someone, look into their eyes, and read them pretty clearly. I usually can tell who is trustworthy and who isn't. My brother recently hired a sociopath where he works. It led to major problems. I don't think I could ever be conned by some sociopath, even if that person were really charming and charismatic. The eyes are the window to the soul. And it also helps if you feel the vibe the stranger is giving off. Then you can tell if that person is aggressive or dangerous. I know who to avoid in public generally. It's a little like Spidey Sense!

Start at 3:13

[video=youtube;d4dLLS-DQfA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4dLLS-DQfA[/video]

I think key is that people are allowed to view intuition as having the greatest monopoly on this feat if and only if they are talking about an intuitive type who is also deeply irrational>rational functioning. As I encoded above, the "opposite" of your sentiment in the OP seems to be empiricism, not sensation. Empiricism in the most standard version of the term definitely as heck involves rational functioning.

Basically there are two constituent parts to intuition that gives it that character: one is that it is ultimately a mental phenomenon if ever there was one. Intuitives have a greater orientation to mind. The other dimension to what you're suggesting is the "unconscious" nature of the processing, whose result only is given to consciousness. That part is diminished with any amount of differentiation of the rational functions (probably especially thinking).

That said, I wouldn't go as far as saying introverted intuition has a monopoly on "intuition" and extraverted intuition is somehow more about possibilities in the sense of creativity. I know that's how some sources present it, but it was definitely orthogonal to Jung's view, and on this point I have to say his framework seems to make more sense.
Creativity can be the product of any function, and I'd say the need for novelty and creativity is better measured by the Five Factor Model's Openness to Experience dimension than by any one of the functions. And note that attaining creativity in sensation involves differentiating the sensation function, rather than repressing it and instead differentiating extraverted intuition.

I know what the right thing is for me. I know what I need to do. I need to submit my self to something greater. I need to try to contribute to society and I know how I need to do it. I can't help doing it. I'm like a mechanical bunny running on a rail at a dog race track. I have to go ahead and do it. I don't think anything can really stop me, even myself. I don't expect anyone else to participate, I don't look to tell anyone else what to do. But I'm driven and even frantic in my knowing at times. I must do it.

Reactions: Siimplicity