bolognamacaroni

Community Member
Mar 30, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
[video=youtube_share;lgqxNkNx7Vc]http://youtu.be/lgqxNkNx7Vc[/video]

I think this video does a nice job explaining Feeling as a Judging Function in general. I love the nod he gave to the polarity of Fe-Te, Fi-Ti. And the general nod on how Extroverted Thinking/Feeling (Te/Fe) needs to be paired with Introverted Feeling/Thinking (Fi/Ti), ect.

Still, Introverted Feeling (Fi) is completely foreign to me.

I'm interested in hearing other member's understanding of Fi and examples on how you use it (regardless of where it falls in your function stack - dom/aux/tert/inf).

Last edited:
Feeling is more complicated? *rolls eyes - stops video*

Ruji! Don't be like that. Restart and try again please. I actually rolled my eyes at that comment as well.

If you're really adamantly against the video now at least tell me your experience with Fi users. :)

Or what it's like for you to experience Fe as an inferior function.

Last edited:
Fi is very reactionary, explosively so. For my INFP self, the negative side of not only having Fi, but in leading with it as well: it makes me do and say stupid shit because the reactionary time is so lightning fast that rationality is lost in the dust. I have seen this with INTJ's as well. They don't lead with Fi, but I see Fi rearing it's ugly head when they become frustrated or hurt. Negative Fi acts as a fit, a temper tantrum. Positive Fi acts similarly but in a positive way, like little bursts of happiness and bubbly energy. I'll watch the video and see if I can add any more thoughts on it.

Reactions: bolognamacaroni
Yeah, that goes for all Fe users, I think, though ENFJ's tolerate it the best. :)

ENFJs seem pretty tolerant in general. :)

Most of my experiences with Fi have been with tertiary/inferior Fi users (xxTJs). I think Te-Fi / Fe-Ti just clashes hard sometimes.

I have one friend that I get along with famously, and I think she might be an INFP. I really enjoy your insights; ditto for various other INFPs around the forum. I don't think I'm intolerant of Fi. I just don't always understand it.

Reactions: Misadventure
Fi is about aligning your actions with values. It focuses on meaning then strives for consistency. If you want to offend an INFP, call them a hypocrite for any inconsistency. Guarantee they are already beating thrmself up for being a hypocrite about 5 different things.Fi is private. I really do not see how it has anything to do with adult temper tantrums... If anything, infps are characterized as keeping their emotions private.

Well I personally think it's worth going more into the different approaches here. In Jung's approach, introversion-extraversion was more or less independent to functions -- it was an independent axis you pasted to your preferred function(s) and deployed them with the corresponding attribute. So e.g. Te cared more about the collective consensus than Ti.

However, from my perspective, this is selling the potential of the theory short. The really interesting thing is that not all aspects of introversion-extraversion relate equally with each of the functions. For example, the property of being oriented towards *objects* is probably more appropriate to assign to Se than it is to Ne. Whereas, Ne may be interested in the objective factor in the sense of collective consensus in a different way: namely, as perception of possibilities via the unconscious, directed outward, one use of this mode is to simply toss out ways one might view things, and how this may *prevent* consensus (which is an interesting slant, to me, on the whole NeTi as a devil's advocate thing). Whereas Ni types tend to be less interested in exploring how things affect collective consensus, and more often sorta glide along their vision of things. Jung was in my own formulation of this stuff definitely Ni>Ne.

To me, trying to make Fe about collective consensus and Fi about a kind of "individualism" isn't really the best take. I think ultimately, any feeling function should equally be about subjective criteria for value judgment.

For me, the most clarity comes when one views the actual axes: Ti vs Te is quite clear,with the former more a sense of the logical relations between ideas, at the last resort overly devoid of content and more or less a structural artifact, and the latter a kind of factual logic.
The gist of Ti/Fe axis to me is that the former essentially embodies the idea of pure logic giving no impetus for action, hence the compensatory relation of extraverted feeling being necessary to spur an interest in the object.

The idea of harmonizing one's judgment with collective values seems, to me honestly, good for either Je-ego type and isn't a great distinguishing thing between Te/Fe. What distinguishes Fe to me is the motive behind the appeal to collective values in judgment. With zero such appeal, like I hinted, there is absolutely no pragmatic criterion for judgment, and judgment devolves into the statement of logical relations. If anything, I actually think Te seeks greater actual collective consensus, being both thinking function and extraverted. I think Fe just ensures that Ti ego types don't remain unmoved, as being completely unmoved causes one's faculty of value judgment to remain dormant. To do this, one can't essentially stay boxed into noting one's subjective relations with things, but be aroused to invest in the object.
In a simple sense this is why Fe-dominants are often the people who are good at getting everyone involved, and I don't think this works well by just sort of forcing people to go with group values, but rather by being able to see another's subjective nature and stimulate it to interest in something external where this interest may otherwise be dormant.

I realize some of this may be confusing, because I have a lot of thoughts on this stuff. But suffice it to say I come at this stuff from my own interpretation of the socionics model A structure (without having any particular regard for socionics theorists -- basically my style is a Jungian-inspired take, but favoring the actual formal model of socionics over the simpler one of Jung). A complexity-added Jung, if you will.

The last girl I was with was an INFP. From my own personal experience I can tell you what I've gained from being around an INFP.
When we first met, we were often in social settings consisting of about 10 other people which really got me to understand how Fi works. Just like the guy
said in the video, Fe is a externally harmonizing function. Fe wants the social setting to equate to whatever feeling is being promoted. With an Fi user that's not the case. While I was always striving to keep everyone comfortable, she always had this blank, bland straight faced expression. I thought nothing of it, I thought she was just shy, but she wasn't shy, she was misunderstood. Not to say everyone expressed their feeling, but it was less with her, as if she was the only Fi user there, which was what attracted me to her in the first place.

To me, she was very observant, and mysterious. She never spoke unless being spoke too. She carefully watched everyone speak as if she was absorbing their words carefully. I never knew what she was thinking, but I could always feel it. As @Misadventure said, i could see how it can come across as frustrating to some INFJs, but to me that wasn't the case. Being an auxiliary Fe user, I'm used to being able to picking up on peoples emotions and having a sense of what they are thinking with Ni. With her? Nothing. And I liked that. I like the challenge of not being able to predict what someone is feeling or thinking, it's very puzzling. It actually drives me insane, call me a madman, but I liked it. She finally spit it out that she liked me, after me over analyzing her bland expression for a few hours. What a relief that was. Was a big plus seeing as if INFPs are VERY private with their feelings.

Fi users don't want to promote external feeling just because everyone else is. Fi is an internal framework.
They want an authenticity with themselves first, then everyone else.
Fi is like screaming "Understand me first, so I can understand you."
Fe is like screaming "Let me understand you first, so we can understand each other."

The Fi user can also be very temper tandrumy like Misadventure said. If they feel something goes against their morals,
they'll often defend it, even sounding aggressive in their tone at times, even if it's not meant to come off that way.
The Fi user is also very unforgiving/forgiving at the same time. INFPs like to often compromise after being hurt by someone,
for whatever reason. They'll most likely hold it against you unforgivably, but want to extend the relationship you have no matter
how bumpy and bad it can get.
Fi is quite a complex function to understand imo, I'm still learning about it myself.

The INFJs shadow/6th function is Fi, and depending on the health state of the INFJ, they can sometimes tap into Fi
(being a critical parenting function), and be confused about what it is, and what they are feeling. This can also lead to
a lot of INFJ mistyping, and often comes throughout some types of depression.

Reactions: endersgone
I really do not see how it has anything to do with adult temper tantrums... If anything, infps are characterized as keeping their emotions private.

I really meant no harm by my statement. I was trying to demonstrate how Fi would look to an Fe user who doesn't understand it. We are passionate about certain things dear to us and it shows. I am very private with my emotions except for when I am challenged in negative ways, or when I'm with people I can be free with. Most of the Fe users that commented have already confirmed that Fi can be tantrum-like whether good or bad. Most Fe users would look at Fi as their immature counterpart. Most Fe users have thought of us as childish with our emotions. To those that don't understand Fi at all, I get exactly why they think this, just like how sometimes Fe can seem really self-righteous and snotty to me. Just trying to offer a perspective is all.

Most of my experiences with Fi have been with tertiary/inferior Fi users (xxTJs). I think Te-Fi / Fe-Ti just clashes hard sometimes.
I agree completely. I think Fe-Fi have a unique dynamic and can really play off each other well when positive, Fe-Fi also mixed with opposing Ti-Te when negative...WW3 is about to break out, lol. It's just a matter of understanding where one another is coming from and keeping a balance of that understanding. INFJ's are the masters at understanding motivations for behaviors and such, right? So, even though it's frustrating, I'm confident that you got this. You so got this. :D

Reactions: bolognamacaroni
My bestest friend growing up (met on the school bus when we were seven, Pokémon brought us together) is an INFP. In high school she played varsity tennis and everyone on the team got a mock award - hers was "silent but violent." :D

It's hard to describe, but I'd say that there's an intensity to the emotions. As others have said, those emotions displayed only scratch the surface of the depth of feeling. Despite her title jokingly bestowed to her by her tennis team, to those closest to her, she is warm, giving, and endlessly loyal. She wouldn't hurt a fly - unless someone threatened or harmed her loved ones. In that case, it'd be a good idea to step back, lol.

She adamantly and stubbornly sticks to her morals and values, and doesn't care about social stigma. Basically, she's her own person, and screw what everyone else thinks. :)

I second guess myself and worry too much, to which her response would be something along the lines of "Y'know what? F*** them. Just be yourself and don't worry about it." Something which I think is invaluable to remember. I can't think of Fi as an annoyance, as was mentioned. To me, it's a gift I don't have, and I always appreciate its presence. : )

I really meant no harm by my statement. I was trying to demonstrate how Fi would look to an Fe user who doesn't understand it. We are passionate about certain things dear to us and it shows. I am very private with my emotions except for when I am challenged in negative ways, or when I'm with people I can be free with. Most of the Fe users that commented have already confirmed that Fi can be tantrum-like whether good or bad. Most Fe users would look at Fi as their immature counterpart. Most Fe users have thought of us as childish with our emotions. To those that don't understand Fi at all, I get exactly why they think this, just like how sometimes Fe can seem really self-righteous and snotty to me. Just trying to offer a perspective is all.
We must have different ideas of what temper tantrums are. I'm not seeing it. Temper tantrums in a good way? What does that look like? Why describe it that way?

I don't think not being in control of one's emotions is an Fi thing.. or that Fi doms are more likely to have less control or to have quick tempers. I think we should in theory have more control, since it's our dominant function. Everyone has emotions and everyone struggles to some degree to control them. Temper tantrums exhibit a lack of control. I don't think Fi is any less likely to control oneself. If there is any truth in cognitive functions, it just seems to me that Fi is very self-contained, stubborn, but self-contained. I would think that people who do not have feeling as a dominant function would exhibit more temper tantrums as they are less developed in managing that side of themself.

Last edited:
Reactions: endersgone
We must have different ideas of what temper tantrums are. I'm not seeing it. Temper tantrums in a good way? What does that look like? Why describe it that way?

I don't think not being in control of one's emotions is an Fi thing.. or that Fi doms are more likely to have less control or to have quick tempers. I think we should in theory have more control, since it's our dominant function. Everyone has emotions and everyone struggles to some degree to control them. Temper tantrums exhibit a lack of control. I don't think Fi is any less likely to control oneself. If there is any truth in cognitive functions, it just seems to me that Fi is very self-contained, stubborn, but self-contained. I would think that people who do not have feeling as a dominant function would exhibit more temper tantrums as they are less developed in managing that side of themself.

If anything, you're proving what I said about Fi being reactionary. Fi is self-contained, but when pushed to negative limits it becomes explosive. 75% of the drama caused on this very forum is by Fi users... And I'm not talking about only INFP's. What you've written above is very much the INFP. I'm talking about only Fi and how Fe users may perceive it in its positive vs negative forms. Ever pissed off an INTJ? Then you would see what I mean about explosive Fi.

If anything, you're proving what I said about Fi being reactionary. Fi is self-contained, but when pushed to negative limits it becomes explosive. 75% of the drama caused on this very forum is by Fi users... And I'm not talking about only INFP's. What you've written above is very much the INFP. I'm talking about only Fi and how Fe users may perceive it in its positive vs negative forms. Ever pissed off an INTJ? Then you would see what I mean about explosive Fi.

Well then the difference is that Fi can disagree without thinking it's causing drama while Fe Dom's see drama and explosions when people disagree and question. I haven't said anything explosive or dramatic. I don't even think it's negative.

Last edited: