Introversion/Freak Correlation, What are Your Thoughts? | INFJ Forum

Introversion/Freak Correlation, What are Your Thoughts?

PintoBean

Site Supporter
May 18, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
So recently media reports about the latest mass shooting atrocity in SC again use the word "introvert" to describe the monster who did it. One article stated he had become "increasingly introverted" in the time leading up to the crime. I have frequently noticed the actual word used, or words associated with introversion, (quiet, withdrawn, keeps to himelf etc) in connection to these violent, unstable individuals. I have also read introversion is associated with higher levels of "neuroticism." Personally, I have felt stigmatized by my introversion. And the fact that I am not just introverted, but very introverted, doesn't help. Since the time I was little I recall being called things like weird, weirdo or strange and once even freak. Well, anyway, I am mostly at peace with my personality now. The more comfortable and accepting I get of myself as introvert, the more I am able to stop doing things like fake extroversion (which is socially disastrous for me). However, I am repeatedly concerned when I see the term "introvert" being bandied about in connection to the murderous psychopaths who commit mass killings. It seems like a misuse of the term to me. I think introverted (or simply shy) people are suffering socially because of a wrong-headed connection between dangerous behaviors/psychopathy and introversion. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Free
I too think the word introverted is stigmatized. For those who don't understand its meaning, it often goes hand-in-hand with words like "unsocialized". Sadly, this can denote that introverts are hidden away in a basement without any interaction with humankind at all and thus deemed mentally unstable.

"They just don't know how to be with people..." Um, no, we just cherish our alone time to let our minds run free.

"There must be something wrong with a person if they lock themselves up all day!" Maybe some unhealthy people in general, and not just introverts, yes. But certainly not all of us.

Reactions: Misadventure
I am fairly confident that a large number of shooters are in fact extroverts, behaving as their shadow type either due to social/environmental forces or instability of some kind. That's not to say that introverts aren't doing such things either, and maybe the actual spread is 50/50 but it is not "introverts" always doing these things as the media portrays. Like you said, the word is being wildly misused.

I too think the word introverted is stigmatized. For those who don't understand its meaning, it often goes hand-in-hand with words like "unsocialized". Sadly, this can denote that introverts are hidden away in a basement without any interaction with humankind at all and thus deemed mentally unstable.

"They just don't know how to be with people..." Um, no, we just cherish our alone time to let our minds run free.

"There must be something wrong with a person if they lock themselves up all day!" Maybe some unhealthy people in general, and not just introverts, yes. But certainly not all of us.

agreed. so often misinterpreted. I am not a freak because I don't want to hang out with large groups of extroverts who blab constantly about nothing at all. He went on a murderous rampage because he was mentally ill. Because of the 'demon seed'. Because he snapped. NOT because he's introverted. The people that do these things are horribly unstable mentally for whatever reason. They could be extroverts or introverts, it makes no matter. If you are mentally ill, your personality and/or type is never seen any way. He could have been a free-loving ENFP for all we know, but mentally ill. That's they key. And I am so sick of society speaking of introverts like its a bad thing. WTF. School yourselves people!

Very simple. Ignorance will always be just that. The world has been damaged more by extroverts but dont ever say that. They out number introverts and their rule is law.
My thoughts? Pisses me off to no end. Fools.

I've heard that USA is more extroverted than others. Could this be the case?

Not sure. I will say that it seems like in America there are many more people not only unafraid the voice their opinion but also unafraid to show their ignorance. Perhaps there is a correlation.

I don't think introversion, not extroversion, have anything to do with it, and dislike it when either are vilified.

yes, Americans place a high value on extroversion as a sign of healthy personality. It's misplaced trust, because it assumes extroversion is always or only positive as a trait while introversion suggestions social awkwardness, personality difficulties or deficiencies. As the OP said, too many are associating the term introversion with withdrawn, anti-social behavior, negative behavior, without considering motive or reason behind these behaviors. People should be better educated about the significance of personality differences.

I'm not entirely sure, but I do think that introversion is more accepted here in Sweden. It's just normal to have a little of alone time.
Or is it me who spends to much time with introverts, and forget how it is to live with extroverts all the time?

I'm constantly annoyed whenever criminals are described as "introverts". This only reinforces the negativity/disdain/etc. that extraverts (and society in general) exhibit toward introverts.

Ida know...how many of you sport the flags of Rhodesia and pre-Mandela South Africa on your clothing? Seems like there were more than enough dots available for anyone (who cared to do so) to connect prior to the shootings. The man should not be labelled "mentally ill" or "introvert" just because he's a nice white boy. Sorry, but it just doesn't wash. The media should be more even-handed and label this crime as "terrorism" or a "hate crime" and call Dylan Roof as a "thug" as they certainly would have, had he been Black or Muslim. Just sayin'...

Loled when I read the title of this thread. But yes, I think that's the sort of language mass media uses either for fun and money or for political agendas when they want to reinforce attitudes about certain groups or types of people so that society can a) have *something* to believe in and groupthink/grouprage about so that they keep tuning in before dinner, and b) have a convenient scapegoat and not think deeper about anything else. Ohhhh it's just those silly introverts massacring people again! Nothing to do with how great my insurance is and ummmm pass the GMO turkey honey.

I think it also feeds into our love and attachment to clear cut dichotomies: black and white universals about the world e.g. group A is good, and group B is bad, and of course no one wants or should want to be a part of group B. That's the reasoning which is used to justify these simplistic identifications of people who commit extreme acts. Instead of being identified as people who engage in extreme behavior to justify their beliefs, media describes it as particular types of individuals who engage in extreme behavior because they have a particular trait such as introversion, rather than extreme views such as racism, etc. People are either good or bad based on the supposed common "traits" the group they belong to have, rather than the attitudes or feelings people hold. In our world, we like boxes, where people can be easily slotted into boxes without question of whether they easily fit each box or any box. But it's always easier to blame a trait than to hold ourselves responsible for misguided feelings or opinions. It's always easier to label things simply in black and white terms, than to acknowledge shades of grey. It makes us feel smarter, and easier to define people and situations without the complications of subtle differences, degrees, or variations.

However, I am repeatedly concerned when I see the term "introvert" being bandied about in connection to the murderous psychopaths who commit mass killings. It seems like a misuse of the term to me. I think introverted (or simply shy) people are suffering socially because of a wrong-headed connection bets weween dangerous behaviors/psychopathy and introversion. What are your thoughts on this?

It is worrisome because a society cannot run on just introverted or just extroverted people, you need a healthy mix of both to keep things working. Yet there indeed seems some kind of agenda behind the instant introvert label for lone wolf crime suspects. I also feel like a lot of extroverted people feel a disdain for introverted people which when I notice it kinda gets on my nerves. Especially on media formats... I am sure broadcasts of programs like fox news have some messed up moms look towards their introverted children thinking, I gotta make sure my child won't do the next shooting or suspecting to do other messed up things that sound like something a loner would do. Honestly, the effect this sort of labeling has sickens me.

Even we introverts tend to mirror this when it comes to more introverted people then ourselves. I've had several times that an introverted person would dismiss other introverted people for seeming too shy or aloof. Whilst not all of us do, a lot of us are just as bad as some of the extroverts when it comes to this sort of segregation. I have always felt really conscious of being introverted in a country where everyone seems to praise the hack out of extroverts and when someone is named that is more introverted people begin to complain about some of their introverted qualities or mention those "bad qualities" after a praise. Example: "She did really good, too bad she's so quiet."

I think it is disgusting how people keep trying to elevate themselves above others or at least reduce others at any chance they get. And I feel like we are more subject to this than extroverts because we tend to react differently to such things then most extroverts would.. That is not to say that extroverts don't have their own fair share of crap flung their way though :p

Reactions: PintoBean
Growing up introvert was used as a bad word to call someone. I did not know it at the time but I recognized I was introverted early on I just did not know what it meant. Now I know that at least 1/3 of the worlds population is introverted and know what it is. I look on anyone who doesn't know as an uninformed individual.