INTJ vs. ISTJ | INFJ Forum

INTJ vs. ISTJ

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Based on his personality, I always assumed my dad was an INTJ but not so sure. He could be an ISTJ.

So, for those who know people with both personality types irl, what are some of the most noticeable differences between the two?

The most notable and noticeable difference would probably be in whether they like to think in terms of the theoretical or not. S types are very hands-on, concrete, down-to-earth, whereas, as we all know, N types tend to be in the clouds. INTJs are able to take their insights and actively apply them to what they're doing, because of their ability to be both practical and imaginative.

So, if your dad really likes talking/thinking about theories and ideas, he's probably an INTJ, assuming you're sure about the other three dimensions. He might also retreat into his mind quite often, in somewhat of a "spacey" way.
If he focuses more on what's readily applicable, on what's concrete and doesn't require much theory or mulling over, and generally dislikes talking about ideas and new possibilities as they relate to them, he's probably ISTJ.

Reactions: Gaze
Not very science-y, but the INTJs I've interacted with are very flirtatious, whereas ISTJs are not.

Would be kind of creepy if you knew these things abotu your dad, though. :p

My dad is an ISTJ and he utterly refuses to try anything I suggest to him unless he sees that it's practical or more efficient than his current method, and he gets on me if I theorize too much about a situation we are talking about. He doesn't play games.

My brother is an INTJ and doesn't mind playing that kind of game with me. He's also more "playful" and sarcastic. My bestie's dad is an XNTJ, and also shows these qualities, in addition to the ones [MENTION=4717]subwayrider[/MENTION] listed.

INTJs are crazier and get carried away with what-ifs. At least in my experiences.

Ive noticed that ISTJs are just better all around.

[MENTION=731]Hoggle[/MENTION]

like at sex and ping-pong and stuff?

Hmm, yes, I don't believe I've ever met an INTJ who was good at juggling. What about juggling whilst having sex?

What else would you juggle if not your lovers?

The most notable and noticeable difference would probably be in whether they like to think in terms of the theoretical or not. S types are very hands-on, concrete, down-to-earth, whereas, as we all know, N types tend to be in the clouds. INTJs are able to take their insights and actively apply them to what they're doing, because of their ability to be both practical and imaginative.

So, if your dad really likes talking/thinking about theories and ideas, he's probably an INTJ,
assuming you're sure about the other three dimensions. He might also retreat into his mind quite often, in somewhat of a "spacey" way.

If he focuses more on what's readily applicable, on what's concrete and doesn't require much theory or mulling over, and generally dislikes talking about ideas and new possibilities as they relate to them, he's probably ISTJ.

My dad is very practical, no nonsense sort of person but he really likes talking or discussing theories and ideas. So, he sounds INTJ in that sense. He will bring up theorists he read a long time ago and discuss how they relate to politics or the economy today.

Not very science-y, but the INTJs I've interacted with are very flirtatious, whereas ISTJs are not.

Would be kind of creepy if you knew these things abotu your dad, though. :p

Don't know about flirtatious :D, but he can be quite charming and loves to joke around and make people smile.

My dad is an ISTJ and he utterly refuses to try anything I suggest to him unless he sees that it's practical or more efficient than his current method, and he gets on me if I theorize too much about a situation we are talking about. He doesn't play games.

My brother is an INTJ and doesn't mind playing that kind of game with me. He's also more "playful" and sarcastic. My bestie's dad is an XNTJ, and also shows these qualities, in addition to the ones @subwayrider listed.

Yeah, my dad is more playful and uses humor to lighten the mood sometimes, although he was quite serious when I was younger, as most parents were probably.

INTJs are crazier and get carried away with what-ifs. At least in my experiences.

I'm not sure if he get's carried away with what ifs. Actually I'm not sure if that's a TJ trait. Sounds more XXTP trait to consider possibilities. My dad is very strict and a strong belief in his feelings, very sure. He is pretty definite in his views.

Ive noticed that ISTJs are just better all around.

whatever dude :D

I think you're right about that not being a TJ trait. I think INTJs have more openness to new ideas.

haha! Hey, you're clever.

bump! :)

@Maven what are your dad's hobbies? Does your dad talk more about the past or the future than the average old person? Does he seem like someone who could learn to get good at chess?

this is just a personal observation according to the people I've known irl, but INTJs seem to get more anal with age and ISTJs less anal with age

@Maven what are your dad's hobbies? Does your dad talk more about the past or the future than the average old person? Does he seem like someone who could learn to get good at chess?

this is just a personal observation according to the people I've known irl, but INTJs seem to get more anal with age and ISTJs less anal with age

He talks about both the present and the past but mostly about the present and future. Not sure if he has the patience for chess. He is more mellow than he used to be compared to a decade ago.

He talks about both the present and the past but mostly about the present and future. Not sure if he has the patience for chess. He is more mellow than he used to be compared to a decade ago.

Ever just made him take a test online? If you ask and he's not even curious enough to do that, then ISTJ lol.

Ever just made him take a test online? If you ask and he's not even curious enough to do that, then ISTJ lol.

I have a coworker who I'm quite sure is INTJ who doesn't want to take any of the tests. But, this is because he has personal feelings and beliefs associated with it.