Internet Trolls and Trolling

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29678989

I wonder, in light of the story that detention sentences for online trolls have been considered in the UK, what way you would define internet trolls and trolling?

I recall the first time I discovered there was such a term, it was only one of a whole battery of definitions of online behaviour which are now forgotten but which were considered of equivalent importance by internet users at the time, such as "big dawg" and "me too" and "handgrenades".

At the time trolling as defined as emotional manipulation, usually seeking to provoke, coerce or compell responses.

Just recently I read another book about psychology and the internet which was written in 1999, it was a different time, although not that long ago, but it defined trolling as the action of members of an in-group seeking to exploit outsiders ignorance of group norms, group dynamics and in-group knowledge, so someone would post phony discussions or debates seeking to lure outsiders into disputing a topic which the in-group are aware is phony and a ploy, other members of the in-group may play along until a point at which someone posts something with the YHBT tagline (you have been trolled). This all seems a hell of a lot more innoxious and harmless than the earlier, simpler definition.

The definitions of behaviour which are being used for trolls with reference to the custodial sentence are much more serious, and I wonder if they are that widespread, but connected with cases such as one from the UK in which a young male was enticed through deception to provide naked images of themselves which were then used in protracted torment which ended with his death by suicide. Which makes me think that either this is a law which could be introduced but seldom used or the legislators are anticipating the possibility of this disgusting behaviour becoming more wisespread.

What are your views on this topic and your definitions of internet trolls and trolling?

Dont know UK laws but the US already has laws that protect people from harrasment and threats. The fact that it is done over the Internet doesnt change anything. Laws against trolls in general is just dumb but likely the article and the person quoted were just being unspecific and uti,ized a familiar and general term to signify wht they were referring to.

Trolling is when people post with the sole intention of passing on the bad energy that they themselves are feeling

It is fuelled by bitterness and hurt

If someone posts compromising photos of someone online or tries to unfairly destroy someones reputation then that should be dealt with under existing defamation laws

The recent 'trolling' laws suggested by the british government should be seen in the light of a wider context in which the UK prime minster David cameron has recently given a speech to the UN saying that anyone who questions the offical narrative behind 9/11, 7/7 and ISIS is a 'terrorist'

That's right folks...the UK PM was publically announcing the end of free speech!

The trolling laws are not to protect members of the public who the government are currently impoverishing and robbing of rights, the laws are about preventing the public from discussing things online and figuring things out for themselves

I have always seen this period upto now as a window of opportunity where information can be shared by the public, but the powers that be are now looking to close that window and that should be a good indicator of their guilt because as they are always telling us as they build their surveillance police state: ''if you've got nothing to hide then why are you worried?''

And yet worried they clearly are!

[video=youtube;BP_HJfd_gvE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_HJfd_gvE[/video]