INFP: the most judgmental type? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFP: the most judgmental type?

Well, I don't think infp's are all that judgemental really. Except maybe when they are aggitated, they get somewhat brash. :boink: But what type doesn't? Anyway, I think the most judgemental type, might be the estj. They stick to traditions, and to get them to think outside of the box, is no easy task. A lot of F type J's you can convince to see it from another perspective if you appeal to their emotions. :cool:

I'm INFJ, that must mean all you other INFJ's are good at tabletennis too.

I don't think you're describing INFPs. I think you're describing people who have issues relating to others, which happens with every type.

I dont think that INFPs are very judgemental. I dont think Fi lends itself very well to being judgemental.

There is something that Ive noticed from my experienced with INFPs that I think could be percieved as being judgemental. I think that INFPs feel and experience their world very deeply. They put a lot of time, energy and thought into understanding themselves, their experience, their feelings, their motivations and behaviour. I think that because INFPs are so used to living life on this plane, sometimes they assume that others do also. When in all truth, many people simply dont live, feel or analyse as deeply as INFPs do. Most people simply are not that self aware and dont put that much consideration, deliberation and effort into understanding their own behaviour. Nor do others necessarily feel the need to be as authentic to their beliefs and convictions as INFPs. Sometimes the INFPs I know misunderstand this and may to try to understand an individuals behaviour using their own experience as a template. In doing this they may read more into an individual's behaviours and motivations than is actually there.

Overall, I think that INFPs are very accepting, even when they are analysing or judging others. The INFPs I know value self automony, and really appreciate and respect that all people are individuals and are entitled to have their own perceptions and experiences. An INFP may read into someone's motivations and come to a conclusion about that person's behaviour that may or may not be accurate, but I dont think that means that the INFP will then harshly catergorise or judge that person. They are more likely to concentrate on and think about how they personally feel about that person and how that person affects them than make judgements about the other person.

When I was younger I misinterpreted this behaviour and I saw it as INFPs being selfish, or self absorbed, but I really dont think thats the case anymore. Now I see it as the INFP wanting and needing to be fully self aware and really understand their own experience. They of all types really understand the need for self awareness and congruence to be happy. Im pretty sure the father of counselling- Carl Rogers was an INFP.

The INFPs I know give me a lot of personal space when i need it and have never been intrusive. I grew up with an INFP dad and INFP younger sister and I have never felt that they have been judgemental towards me, or to others.

In my experience, they types I have felt to be the most judgmental are ENFJ, ENTJ, ISFJ and ISTJ.
The types that I find the least judgemental are EXXPs and IXFPs.
In my experience I have not found ESTJs and ESFJs to be very judgemental. I have done a fair bit of volunteering work, and those sorts of places are always full of ESJ types. I think they are seriously some of the most sincere, helpful and salt of the earth people that will give the shirts of their own back to help others. They always seem to be the first people to take action when something goes wrong in a community. Many nurses seem to ESFJ as well. Maybe ESJ types can be judgemental, but they will help your first, regardless of their personal beliefs.

I've recently had some exasperating difficulties with a female INFP in one of my classes. Everything was fine between us for quite a while, then one day about a month ago I was walking down a hallway and saw her in conversation with a guy. I thought to myself "I don't want to interrupt them" so I walked by them. I attempted to make brief eye contact with her so I could at least offer her a little smile or some sort of physical acknowledgement, perhaps a small nod. However, I was not able to make eye contact with her. It was a very small, crowded hallway, kind of insane really with people and their laptops sitting all over the floor and others milling about and talking full blast. So, I didn't make eye contact or say hello. That's the way it goes sometimes, I figured.
She has not spoken to me since, and in fact REFUSES to make eye contact with me. It's like I don't exist to her anymore. Honestly, at this point I don't even care anymore that she doesn't want to talk to me or have anything to do with me because her behaviour is absolutely ridiculous. This woman is also in her late 30's--she's no kid. I'm 41, myself. Every time I see her now, all I can think is "WHATEVER!" Not saying all INFP's are like this, but I have to chalk her behaviour up to shitloads of impenetrable Fi values.

I've recently had some exasperating difficulties with a female INFP in one of my classes. Everything was fine between us for quite a while, then one day about a month ago I was walking down a hallway and saw her in conversation with a guy. I thought to myself "I don't want to interrupt them" so I walked by them. I attempted to make brief eye contact with her so I could at least offer her a little smile or some sort of physical acknowledgement, perhaps a small nod. However, I was not able to make eye contact with her. It was a very small, crowded hallway, kind of insane really with people and their laptops sitting all over the floor and others milling about and talking full blast. So, I didn't make eye contact or say hello. That's the way it goes sometimes, I figured.
She has not spoken to me since, and in fact REFUSES to make eye contact with me. It's like I don't exist to her anymore. Honestly, at this point I don't even care anymore that she doesn't want to talk to me or have anything to do with me because her behaviour is absolutely ridiculous. This woman is also in her late 30's--she's no kid. I'm 41, myself. Every time I see her now, all I can think is "WHATEVER!" Not saying all INFP's are like this, but I have to chalk her behaviour up to shitloads of impenetrable Fi values.

She sounds shy and unsure of your relationship with her. More socially awkward than anything.

[MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION]: I forgot to mention body language and facial expression. She's very negative towards me now, whereas before she wasn't. I don't think I'm wrong, but perhaps you're right.

Reactions: DonTaushMe
I dont think that INFPs are very judgemental. I dont think Fi lends itself very well to being judgemental.

I suppose it is only INFPs who are less developed in Ne that are more judgmental: "While their Fi confers a strong sense of right and wrong, their moral sensibilities have yet to be fully enlightened by the larger picture of the world that comes from the use and development of their Ne." (A.J. Drenth).

We have the potential to be, but only at moments our values are crossed.

INFPs are starting to make sense to me :)

:)

I forgot to add, most INFPs are unaware of the "snap" (lol) when their morals are compromised. But most of the time, we are very very "chillax." :3

We have the potential to be, but only at moments our values are crossed.

Yay, mochi's back! :)

*ahem*

Could you provide an example of a value being crossed and what the reaction would look like? : D

If so, thank you, I greatly appreciate your insight.

Reactions: mochi
Yay, mochi's back! :)

*ahem*

Could you provide an example of a value being crossed and what the reaction would look like? : D

If so, thank you, I greatly appreciate your insight.

Thank you [MENTION=4598]hush[/MENTION] :)

I can give you an example. :3

Friend: I talked to my boyfriend ____ today, we went out on a date.
Mochi: Oh, that's so nice! Really great fellow, that guy is. I knew it all along.
Friend: Yeah, except he *insert mean douchebag thing here* and it made me cry.
Mochi: AW HELLL NAW WWWwwwwwww :m182:
That douchebag!!! RAWWWRRRRR! HE IS THE WORST PERSON ON EARTH!!!!!!:mwaa: I knew it from the moment I laid eyes on that bastard.

[insert judgmental rant here]

*throws chair over*

Okay, maybe not quite as dramatic as that. :p

Reactions: acd
I have an INFP boss who is very hard to read and closed off. I would say that I feel more judged by him than by most other people I know, specifically in the fact that I get chatty- but he doesn't tend to keep up his side in the conversation, and when I talk I can tell he's making judgments, but he doesn't voice them. It drives me crazy.

With most other types, if they have a judgment they spit it out, especially Te, but the Fi is really hard for me to relate to. I think its because I don't feel as deeply as they do, and that I use feeling to relate. They probably don't like to relate their emotions because they are so deep, and I think because they feel so deeply and strongly, that they tend to think that we don't feel as deeply as they do, and that we must be kind of vapid.

Well, functionally, yes I suppose you could say they are--Fi is a judging function, after all---but not necessarily in the 'I'm judging you because I think I'm better than you' way that is being implied in this thread.

A dominant Fi is consciously reassessing and deconstructing value data and applying it to the self. They take external feedback from the environment and compare and contrast with how they already feel about it or would/should feel about it based on their idea of who they believe they are/how they want to come across to others. Technically speaking, the person that Fi-dominants and auxiliaries are most judgmental about is themselves. It's the result of that judgment that decides how they react to/judge others.

Fi dominants really seem to get a bad rep because of this and it's silly. Like every type, there are high-functioning INFPs and low-functioning INFPs. Higher-functioning INFPs have a greater awareness of themselves, understand how their emotions and psychologies work, and able to prevent any negative personal feelings they have about themselves and their place in the world from affecting others. Low-functioning INFPs, on the other hand, might not be able to control (or even realize) their upsets with themselves and let those feelings color their bias about their external environment and the people in it.

I'm the author of this post about INFPs being judgmental. I wrote it many years ago and I don't know what I think about it now. I came to this conclusion when I was spending lots of time at the now defunct Global Chatter forum, mainly an INFP forum. This was an idea I hashed out with many INFPs, some INFJs and maybe a few other types.

My post has since taken on a life of its own. It has been posted in various forums and other platforms. Apparently, the theory appeals to some people. I don't care to defend it at this point. It is an interesting perspective.

I do think INFPs often are misunderstood for a number of reasons. Fi is central to this confusion.

Haha, I don't think INFJ has anything to do with math abilities.

God did not bless me with those.

For whatever reason, he blessed me with them :p (Not that I 100% believe in that stuff)

I have a big problem with people who try to read me or dig deeper, but I'm not infp.