influences on personality development | INFJ Forum

influences on personality development

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What are some of the main things influencing or shaping your own personality growth and development

Here's an article on this topic.

The Many Influences of Personality Development

Jim Sinclair, Yahoo! Contributor Network
http://voices.yahoo.com/article/146...s-personality-development-2639841.html?cat=72
Feb 18, 2009 "Share your voice on Yahoo! websites."

There are countless theories pertaining to exactly what 'creates' an individual's personality. Personality development is a process of changing one's attitude by gaining information from a combination of both the character and of confidence building within one's self. It is these elements that influence the way we think and act.
There are a great deal of potential factors and processes that can be attributed to the shaping and becoming of our personalities. Most of these cannot change our personalities 'overnight', but with constant effort and awareness, they can and will bring about changes within a matter of time.

Some of these processes can include our economic status, all of our social environmental experiences and even influences stemming from the very beginning of our childhood. A simple action such as a child's inability to throw or catch a ball while in grade school, can be catastrophic to him/her, especially at a time when the other children notice and then begin making fun of his lack of abilities. Because the other children are not aware of the immense harm that they are creating, this child quickly becomes labeled as being inadequate or worse yet, as a complete failure amongst the other students. These actions can, and more than likely, will become a part of this child's personality that will remain with him for many years to come.
According to many, another important factor to consider stems from our heredity and the role this plays while we are actively interacting within a particular social realm. Other factors may include how we look and feel about our health and our physical appearance. Still other important players are hidden within our fears and self confidence. Either one may become the springboard from which we either achieve or fail.

Our ongoing personality development is an aggregated accumulation of decisions and experiences that we have made throughout our lives. More and more as we mature, these past experiences will determine our adult personality. We are the sum product of all of our yesterdays. It is indeed, this continuation of feelings, thoughts and behaviors that have a major factor in determining our personalities as adults. Through observation of self, we eventually realize that we all posses 'two selves'. One is of the 'truth' and the other is of the 'ego'. Both are constantly battling each other to dominate their presence within our minds and whichever one of the two that we believe in the most, will ultimately dominate our entire being.

There was a particular lady that heavily affected my personality, I think people have a great on influential on our-lifes, especially those around us often.

There was a particular lady that heavily affected my personality, I think people have a great on influential on our-lifes, especially those around us often.

How did she affect your personality. How do you think you've changed as a result.

The stronger, more outgoing, more "confident" side of personality was developed by absorbing qualities from my dad, teachers, dad, professors, and public figures. But my softer side was developed by sentimental movie characters and inspired by parent-child interactions in others. I often have to hold back on my more confident side, because I feel like it's a reflexive, automatic characteristic rather than who I really am or want to be. What I like is my shy, introverted, sweet, and delightful side... and being able to express it in limited situations.

my sense of humor comes from my father definitely, and is a big part of my personality.
the flip side of me is very intense and introverted as a result of the life i have led. i left home at 14 and learned about life on the fly so to speak.
most of the values i learned along the way were, in a way, a result of experiencing those same values absent in others.