INFJs on foreign languages | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJs on foreign languages

I adore languages, especially their sounds. I listen to tv stations where people speak a language I don't understand for the pleasure of the fizzing syllables. I speak, read and write in English, French, German and read Italian, Spanish, Dutch and 3 ancient languages.

Wow! So many languages haha
Just out of curosity, what are the 3 ancient ones that you know?

Just to add again....

I love learning the languages, but I have a defect when it comes to learning them in any kind of formal environment. I need to see the "big picture" when I learn a language and that means, seeing, meeting, listening and talking to the people who speak them. The only things I've learned from text books and lessons are the basics and then I quickly forget them... I was lucky to squeak by with a "C" in Spanish back in school.

Reactions: Asa
peaceseaker, the 3 ancient languages are latin, greek and hebrew. (reading is fare easier than to master a language actively).

Anyone here tried all those "nerdier" languages like Esperanto or Klingon? I have a friend who speaks Klingon, watches Star Trek everyday. qaStaH nuq?

Yes.

Alright, so as I further my research on the INFJ personality, I find that everyone tells of an inate interest/desire that INFJs have to learn foreign languages.

I, myself, find this to be very true, as I am currently pursuing fluency in multiple languages (including german-rooted languages, which I find to be especially beautiful tongues).

I want to know if this trait fits anyone else, please. ^_^

I enjoy language a lot and learn others easily
and very quickly. It does not take much for
me, I'm good at picking up on this kind of learning.

I am also fascinated by language and enjoy learning foreign languages. I am not yet fluent in a second language, however. I do know some Spanish, some Japanese, and just a bit of French. I would like to become fluent in Spanish, because it is the most practical secondary language for me to learn. I really enjoy Japanese, and it is at least somewhat useful to me for personal reasons, so I will continue to study it. I would also like to learn Mandarin. I don't have plans to study any other language, at the moment, but it may happen.

one question remains: why would infjs have more affinity for languages than the other mbti-types? any ideas?

Languages have always interested me. English is my first language and I'm currently learning American Sign Language and Spanish. I get very motivated in thinking I could be fluent in any language I wish. I'm going to start learning Polish too, and French is also very interesting. However, I get frustrated easily and give up.

Reactions: rawr
I enjoy learning new languages. Currently I can only speak three languages and two other languages very poorly but in the future I want to learn one Asian language fluently.

Reactions: Switchgirl
I'm only fluent in English and Swedish. I speak a little bit of German, and some very basic Polish, though very limited.

I'd like to learn ASL as well, though I am a bit bummed out that there isn't any universal sign language.

Spanish was my first language, then English, and then Italian. I went to speech therapy as a little kid because I spoke great Spanglish :p Ever since then, I've always been very embarrassed by my verbal abilities. I still mix up all the languages sometimes. I can't speak Spanish well (I'm sure I could if I put in effort) but I can read it and write it. I know Italian fluently as well as English. I also know a lot of Latin from going to Catholic school and having to learn it for choir. I learned Dutch when I was 18 for an ex but only know a few phrases now. I can read French, Romanian, and Portuguese as well. My reading/writing skills for languages has always been better than my speaking skills.

Hi, I'm new here. Does anyone else have the feeling that different languages feel differently on the tongue? It might be a weird question but to me it feels like there is some kind of default centre position that is different for each language/accent. I think maybe this has to do with the vowels that are used in the language?
For those of you who want to know, I am a native German speaker, I speak English with some proficiency (I hope) and I am currently learning Italian. Plus the 2 dead languages I studied in school.

Reactions: Littlelissa and Asa
Does anyone else have the feeling that different languages feel differently on the tongue? It might be a weird question but to me it feels like there is some kind of default centre position that is different for each language/accent. I think maybe this has to do with the vowels that are used in the language?

Not only because of accent and vowels, every language has it's own way of speaking (tone, voice patterns, etc). That's why using different language makes you use your vocal cord, tongue, mouth and even your brain differently. Different languages even changes your way of thinking. So, it's normal to feel different.

Yeah, I do feel different when using different language, not only on tongue but also I can feel my brain works differently.

Last edited:
Not only because of accent and vowels, every language has it's own way of speaking (tone, voice patterns, etc). That's why using different language makes you use your vocal cord, tongue, mouth and even your brain differently. Different languages even changes your way of thinking. So, it's normal to feel different.

Yeah, I do feel different when using different language, not only on tongue but also I can feel my brain works differently.

I haven't reached the brain-phase yet with my Italian, but I learn more and more about how they think the more I learn about the language and culture. Well, culture, duh!, that is inevitable (but in my case not unwelcome) when you have books and a teacher, but I think the brain has to adjust in order for someone to master the language. Other people may not do so, but I feel that they don't become very good at speaking the language properly. (I saw this most often in my English courses. It drives me nuts when I hear a German accent. It sounds like they don't even try. It's despicable!)
I have recently bought a book, "Through the Language Glass", but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. The author also wrote about that language/brain phenomenon, I think.

Alright, so as I further my research on the INFJ personality, I find that everyone tells of an inate interest/desire that INFJs have to learn foreign languages.

I, myself, find this to be very true, as I am currently pursuing fluency in multiple languages (including german-rooted languages, which I find to be especially beautiful tongues).

I want to know if this trait fits anyone else, please. ^_^

Did you know that English belongs to the West-Germanic language family as well? I often wondered if that is why I like English so much. It was just so simple to learn. I am always surprised when people like german-rooted languages, because locally you always hear that Germans are not particularly liked. So, why learn the language? But german-rooted isn't really German, right? Which are the languages you'd like to persue fluency in?

I've always been interested in languages. Learned English from a very young age, because of music and television. Back in high school I was quite good in French, German and French, but sadly 8 years after high school and never really using those languages again, they kind of slipped from my memory.. Although I can still understand some German. Nowadays, I can speak Japanese on an advanced level but even now I feel some of that going to waste since I don't study it every day like I did in the past 6 years.. I really need to keep up with the language or else I will forget. Currently, I am also studying Korean and it is going quite well so far, I think.