INFJs in Business or Entrepreneurship | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

INFJs in Business or Entrepreneurship

Oh yeah, and it cracks me up when INFJs say, 'oh I want to go into business...to start a not for profit'...haha hello...why would you go into business to not make money? You need to find a business model that actually makes you a profit, otherwise, how will you sustain your business activity? You can still bring great things to the world through a regular business model, as opposed to a not for profit. Depends on what product or service you want to offer the public. Do they want it, or need it. Do you have good profit margins, low overhead costs, etc etc. As an INFJ, I have to hammer those things into my head every time I think about starting a business. It needs to make money!

Reactions: rawr
Oh yeah, and it cracks me up when INFJs say, 'oh I want to go into business...to start a not for profit'...haha hello...why would you go into business to not make money? You need to find a business model that actually makes you a profit, otherwise, how will you sustain your business activity? You can still bring great things to the world through a regular business model, as opposed to a not for profit. Depends on what product or service you want to offer the public. Do they want it, or need it. Do you have good profit margins, low overhead costs, etc etc. As an INFJ, I have to hammer those things into my head every time I think about starting a business. It needs to make money!

I have run my own business for the last 8 years. I have a need for a certain amount of security so I definitely want to make a profit. I don't see the point of being in business if you're not making money. I do like the fact that I am independant and I can at times get some satisfaction out of the work I do. I do feel my best when I really came through and made a client really happy.

I do want to get out of the business though because being self-employed is precarious and I think the climate for self-employment is getting worse in terms of how the governement and the banks view it. Even though working by myself is one of the things I enjoy the most about my job, it's also one of the things I enjoy the least. Everything is on my shoulders. I don't have anybody to share the burden with or share concerns or to have my back if I need it. The buck stops here. When I worked in my family's business before this, at least we could count on each other. I have thought about hiring an employee but I have heard such nightmare stories about employees, most business people I know say that managing their employees is the most difficult part of running their business. In my type of business if I found an employee who was smart enough and dedicated enough to customer service to provide the level of service I would want my employees to provide they could eventually take all my business information and start their own to compete against me. I just feel it's not worth it for me at this time. I would love to find somebody that I could work with and pass the business on to but it would have to be somebody I really trust and that would be hard to find.

@La Sagna - good to hear of an INFJ in business, and self-employed! Could you divulge the nature of your business? I am curious to know. In terms of hiring help, I would hire a young person who may not necessarily want to 'steal' your business from you...they might declare other future plans for themselves. That's why you don't give them 'all' of the tasks...only certain ones, so that they cannot get the 'whole picture' and steal your business. Keep some things confidential. Also, good character judgement helps. EDIT: I am not going to steal your business idea ;) I've got my own ideas already.

I'm not worried that you're going to steal my idea :). It's not original. I do graphic design (for print, not web) and I'm a print broker. There's no 'big secret' as much as I have a great deal of experience in the printing industry so I have the right contacts and they like dealing with me because I know what I'm talking about.

I think I'm a pretty good judge of character, but I'm also too nice so having to fire somebody that wasn't working out would be difficult. I have just been aware of many bad experiences with employees and in particular in my field of business. I guess my employment needs have changed somewhat since I'm thinking of getting out of the business gradually, so I would be willing to hire somebody who is smart enough to take over but it would have to be somebody I really trusted and that's hard to find.

That's awesome! :) I've been wanting to do similar things myself. (Went to school for art, but ended up working in an office, and now I want to go back to art). I'd like to start an ecommerce site that sells my images/designs as giclee prints and on clothing. Interesting that you started 8 years ago...I'm almost at that age myself (when you started), and I'm itching for a 'career' change. You're the second INFJ I know who is in the art/design field. Nice to know there's more of us pursuing that.

I didn't know 'print broker' was a thing until now. Interesting. My sister also works in the printing industry as an account coordinator (ISFJ). So visual work is in our genes, I guess.

I didn't know 'print broker' was a thing until now. Interesting. My sister also works in the printing industry as an account coordinator (ISFJ). So visual work is in our genes, I guess.

Actually, there are a fair number of print brokers, but not all of them are very good. The printing field is a very competitive and difficult business to be in. I know lots who got out of it. I do enjoy the creative part and when I can truly help out people. I also now enjoy meeting new people.

That's awesome! :) I've been wanting to do similar things myself. (Went to school for art, but ended up working in an office, and now I want to go back to art). I'd like to start an ecommerce site that sells my images/designs as giclee prints and on clothing. Interesting that you started 8 years ago...I'm almost at that age myself (when you started), and I'm itching for a 'career' change. You're the second INFJ I know who is in the art/design field. Nice to know there's more of us pursuing that.

That sounds like a good business idea. You should put one of your designs on the member art thread. I would like to see some of your work. I started out my business gradually, which I think is a good idea, especially with the type of business you are contemplating. The key is to get out there and meet lots of people. That was difficult for me at first but it was the key to me finding all my clients. Now I have some really good and loyal clients.

I come from a long line of artists. My grandfather was a graphic artist for a newspaper in Montreal, when everything was hand drawn, including the fonts for the captions. He was very talented. His father was a fur coat designer.

I'd agree: my sister's company got bought out and merged with a large conglomerate from the US. I also have a friend who used to work with her, and he got out of the print industry, for several reasons. It's a pretty shrinking network it seems. But if you're willing to put in the long overtime hours for an employer, then it can be worth it.

Sure, I'll throw up two recent drawings. And yes, networking and promotion is key. I have several avenues for that I'm interested to explore/exploit (social media, etc), once I get to that stage. My b/f knows how to design/maintain a website, so he'll be helpful to have around.

Interesting. My dad is a draftsman (basically he draws technical drawings for really complex electrical circuitry design...it's a dying art apparently...they don't teach it practically anywhere). His mother was a seamstress, from what I know, and his dad built houses.

Nonprofits are very business like and may charge for services, but no, they don't need to turn a profit. Actually, a nonprofit organization shouldn't be turning a profit because that is questionable. The difference is made up by donations, interest on an endowment (if they're large enough to have one), and government grants, which is how nonprofits sustain themselves (in addition to earned revenue). INFJs are attracted to nonprofit work because it gives them an opportunity to help others.

Nonprofits can do things that private industry cannot. Private businesses are always constrained by the profit motive, which means service is limited to those who can pay. Nonprofits are typically much more equitable in their provision of services and are able to benefit the community as a whole, which is why people, government, and private industry give to them in the first place.

I'm INFJ and interested in the business world, even though people think it is all about numbers and ''being greedy'' about money. I have a college degree in business and administration, even that I never thought of studying that. :p I would love to become better with photographing and mix it up with business world.

Interesting topic. I recently got a degree in Business Admin & Information Technology. That was before I knew I was an INFJ. It completely clicked for me then & I have decided to still work in Business but go back to school next year part time to study Psychology. It was an epiphany for me. I never felt so strong about anything. I would love to hopefully have my own practice one day

Money is great. And the stereotype of all INFJs being just hippy dippy and not concerned about that is baloney. I'd like to rail against that stereotype. I think if you can find a niche business that taps into your talents and interests, whatever they may be, then that's great..

Very well put. At very least if you find a talent, you are on a road to success. Not to mention a niche business that taps. Some people struggling even in finding themselves and what they like and what are they passionate about. As it was said somewhere else:''... relax, stop looking about as it is already within you. Listen yourself.'' Maybe that's true. Who knows what is true =D how many people, so many opinions. Thanks.

I'm an INFJ and I'm studying something called Value Chain Management which digs deep into all part of the business, both operational and strategic level. I feel that I'm definitely not the best fit for it, however, I performed way above the average so far. I see it as a tool to bring forth change in organizations and companies. I just need to get in one, they will get hell of a ride with me. :D

Reactions: the
From my standpoint as a career advisor I think an infj could be a sales person or business person in general, especially if he has high emotional intelligence. However it won't be an easy path or come naturally.

Business in and of itself is not evil. That is just how people who don't know what they are talking about perceive it. It's just ignorant really.

Last edited:
From my standpoint a small a career advisor I think an infj could be a sales person or business person in general, especially if he has high emotional intelligence. However it won't be an easy path or come naturally.

Business in and of itself is not evil. That is just how people who don't know what they are talking about perceive it. It's just ignorant really.
I completely agree! Barely anything is pure black or white in life. Business is just the same, they can do nasty things while also do some good things in another area. Saying that companies are evil because they push and sell stuff is basically saying "I don't have my own will, I don't have the responsibility for my own life." I'm referring to consumerism in particular. Blaming something outside of us is just giving away responsibility.

Reactions: the
Ive Recently Come to a very strong understanding of my own personal place as an INFJ. After about two years of study and working through allot of things, Ive Come to be at odds with some of the more typical statements made about INFJ's in general.
One Of those things being in the realm of the INFJ's passive aggressive and "chill Nature". Personally I Have personally seen any INFJ I know be able to live a solid day without either needing to be at odds with something, or.... Find something to fix, improve or add to.
Another aspect I'd like to add to this is this, INFJ's, In my belief are natural Investors, Fact based, and Typically very perceptive.

As A personal testimony, I have since I was young Would always have these Ideas, they weren't my full Passion, however I found my passion Pressing its way into into these Ideas, and that was, In essence, How to improve the markets around me, or add to them, personal efficiency, and In all How could something Be better than what it was yesterday. Do these things sound like An INFJ on the inside?

All In all, I truly believe that An INFJ would be actually Very Good at business, though more specifically being an Entrepreneur. However with that, theres the initial difficulty of biting the bullet and getting Book smarts, Finding a passion that keeps ones Knowledge constantly Growing, and Allows one the place to Express themselves whether it be because of Feelings or Moral Conviction.

I'm currently in the Process of Getting a business degree, and Starting my own company, and have currently design my business model and plan.

Truthfully it is very daunting, as being one that Loves structure, Order and More than anything Working through a preexisting structure, it's been a challenge. However I think One of the things Not often brought forth in the "books" about INFJ's is their desire not of leadership, but that Others and themselves Lead their Own life. And The down side, Often Mentioned is the lack of confidence a INFJ might have. I think If a INFJ is brave enough and is in the process of bringing who he is to the outside, There is a incredible place for the INFJ in the Business World.

Truth be told INFJ's are often given the Mornful speech of their frustration and anger of being either everyones lackies or not getting Enough "me time." But I think this only makes an INFJ see what they can't do or just being given the already known problem and doesn't present growth. With our strong the Ni abilities, And Fully capable if not sometimes Scary Fe powers, I think its cutting ourselves short to say we just want to be left alone and fix the world quietly. (and I understand I cannot speak for any INFJ, Im only talking from the point of experience and things I've studied on)

I believe, as many things are For INFJs, Business is just or would a very strong tool that could grant us more opportunities for study, Impact, and and exploration and using that Curiosity that I feel, many of us put down to "save the world" Or Just simply doing what your passionate about.

I believe on the Moral side of business and what that might mean, I mean Business is business and the truth is everything physical can be "used" (and only that having not free will) for Good or bad. If you do good things, what you use is a good thing, and we shouldn't let people define that for us.

In harsher Language, Screw what people want out of your life or expect from you and how others define things, and bring yourself to the outside. No one can really understand you, I mean gosh I hardly understand me lol, But I think if not having enough in your life is a problem, don't give it away and put it into something you want. Nothing Helps Passion like Money, But I think also Nothing strengthens Passion than struggle. Being an Entrepreneur Might fit that bill for you and I Hope that you truly find in your life what your looking for.

and um, sorry this is so long.