INFJs and Extraverted Sensing | INFJ Forum

INFJs and Extraverted Sensing

Shaz

Community Member
Jul 30, 2008
MBTI
iNfj
Se is supposed to be one, if not the least developed function of INFJs. What is your relationship with it? I started thinking about it a while ago, because I want to become a painter which is an ultimate Se job (using my Ni as a complement to bring meaning to what I create), and I'm good at it. It's figurative and so I take a lot from the external world, there is a lot of observation involved. Drawing and painting is something I've always done naturally. Why?

Also, this :

Meditation. Just learned to tune out my inner voice by focusing on how I was feeling both physically and mentally. I imagine in personality terms, it is shifting from Ni to Se by calming and relaxing myself. Trading insight for solid grounding.

There are many different theories about what place the functions that are not the two dominant ones have... What do you think?

PS : I hate sports :party:

I'm not INFJ, but my dominant function is also Introverted Intuition and I have a hard time paying attention to what's around me. I'm also a visual artist. I think extraverted sensing is more important to doing something that's immediate-- like playing an instrument, playing sports or acting-- whereas, in art, you can focus on a little detail, revise it, spend as much time as you want to take in your surroundings. You don't need to paint the picture perfectly the second your paintbrush hits the canvas. You have time to think.

I'm not sure about art and functions. I'm not sure there's a single, defining function you use with art -- I think it might be a combination, or different functions depending on what art you're doing.

I know Se is a competitive function. You use it in strategy games, archery, etc. as well as sports and whatnot. If you want to strengthen that function, try doing something that involves complete concentration on something physical, such as some form of exercise or sport (doesn't matter if it is team, individual, or "mainstream"), or something like playing music or painting where you can feel thought "melt away" and you get lost in your work (I think -- I'm not so sure about this one, but I think)

I'm not sure about art and functions. I'm not sure there's a single, defining function you use with art -- I think it might be a combination, or different functions depending on what art you're doing.

Very true, it is a combination of functions, and that combination varies from different types of artistic endevors.

For example, I do ceramics (wheel thrown mostly). That is a combination of Si, Se, Ni, and Ti mostly.

Painting would be Si, Ni, Fi, and Fe

Music would be Se, Fi, and Te

These are just my guesses and feel free to revise as nesscerry :D