INFJ Thinking Style

Lexika

Community Member
Jun 22, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I've found these interesting quotes on the thinking style of Ni-Fe type on a socionics website. To summarize, it stated that the Ni-Fe type thinks in a chaotic manner by applying method of trial-and-error. When met with a challenge, this cognitive style begins a rapid search for options with one thought cascading into another; when idle it consists of whimsical iridescent imagery. When a solution is found it feels like something has "clicked" together. The advantages of this thinking style is that it is natural (basically it follows the same principles and natural selection does in nature). It's disadvantages are that it is so random and chaotic, and has trouble constructing or following precise logical chains.

I am wondering how well do other INFJs relate to this description? If you had to describe your style of thinking and problem solving in your own words, how would you describe it?

"My thinking is alike mucking about in puddles - randomized, but following some sort of direction. Playing some music, my head clicks together properly and thoughts come into focused torrents. I live in a world of organized chaos, headwise."

"Sometimes the connections and perceptions in my mind are so abstract there are no words to explain. A lot of times I just know something and can’t explain it—a premonition that’s hard to articulate. If it’s strong I usually say something or explore where it’s coming from, but I will keep it to myself if people don’t seem to understand. Informed decisions require lots of information and looking at a situation from as many different points of view as possible. I find it amusing, the absurdity in everyday situations."

"I love to deconstruct complex concepts, organize ideas, form conclusions or arguments by looking at it through several different lenses. I love that "Aha!" moment when everything clicks together for me."

"To be blunt, I arrived at this typing out of gestalt. Since I know myself better than anybody else, and since I am the common denominator in all of my inter-type relations, my self typing becomes the focal point around my understanding of socionics coalesces. Imagining myself to be different types is akin to playing around with the focus on a pair of binoculars. Everything comes out blurry at all focal settings other than this one. At this point, everything snaps into focus and I am taken aback by how well socionics premises appear to jive with my own experiences. Every other focal setting produces a jumbled mess of incoherence from which nothing of value can be gleaned."

"Vortex thinking believes the system is not perfectly counter balanced, and the connections of all the data imply the value of an unknown variable (all the information points toward its value). The value of the variable is what brings the system back into balance. That's why vortex thinking is opportunistic. Vortex thinking is searching for something."​

Full article - for Ni-Fe type (which is IEI or INFp in socionics) take a look at section on Vortical-Synergetic cognition. The quotes above are from the commentary to the article, which I believe you need to be logged in to be able to see.

The Ni-Te, Fi-Ne, and Ti-Ne types which in terms of MBTI would most closely correlate to INTJ, INFP, and INTP have different thinking style from the one describe above.

Last edited:
Well ... yes and no .. depends from person to person I think. You forget about the INFJ's Ti and that it CAN be developed and used much better over the course of their lifetime. This by itself could help the confidant organize his/her thoughts much better.

it stated that the Ni-Fe type thinks in a chaotic manner by applying method of trial-and-error. When met with a challenge, this cognitive style begins a rapid search for options with one thought cascading into another; when idle it consists of whimsical iridescent imagery. When a solution is found it feels like something has "clicked" together.

I think the bolded part above -is- Ti and Se. After all, someone can only know the weight and the validity of their thoughts (or if not their thoughts, and least their supplying statements) when it's done in real life.

For some people it may result in a quicker, better way of organizing. For some, it may be a better sift; a more extensive, more comprehensive radar.

Overall I found the idea applicable for me; but I can only speak for myself.

Well ... yes and no .. depends from person to person I think. You forget about the INFJ's Ti and that it CAN be developed and used much better over the course of their lifetime. This by itself could help the confidant organize his/her thoughts much better.
This thinking style is a result of all functions working together in synergy rather than just 1 function.

I think the bolded part above -is- Ti and Se. After all, someone can only know the weight and the validity of their thoughts (or if not their thoughts, and least their supplying statements) when it's done in real life.
It's actually all functions working together that produce these algorithms in thinking, rather than just Ti & Se in isolation.

Reactions: Shaqie
I identify well with this.

However, I'm quite able to think in precise, logical chains. The main issue I discover with logical chains is that they are fairly academic and mainly used to answer things that are readily solved to begin with.

Logic seems trivial to me. My real questions are ones that defy precise logic because the variables may be hazy, or many-valued.

It's actually all functions working together that produce these algorithms in thinking, rather than just Ti & Se in isolation.
I agreed, and I apologize in the incompleteness. The algorithm as a whole is indeed all functions working together, but the part that judges the content of each information and its value, would be Ti specifically, helped by Se in terms of 'sensory inputs', Fe in terms of 'social, psychological inputs', and Ni in terms of 'mental, personal inputs'.

Sort of like a specific part inside a factory.

I've found these interesting quotes on the thinking style of Ni-Fe type on a socionics website. To summarize, it stated that the Ni-Fe type thinks in a chaotic manner by applying method of trial-and-error. When met with a challenge, this cognitive style begins a rapid search for options with one thought cascading into another; when idle it consists of whimsical iridescent imagery. When a solution is found it feels like something has "clicked" together. The advantages of this thinking style is that it is natural (basically it follows the same principles and natural selection does in nature). It's disadvantages are that it is so random and chaotic, and has trouble constructing or following precise logical chains.

I am wondering how well do other INFJs relate to this description? If you had to describe your style of thinking and problem solving in your own words, how would you describe it?

"My thinking is alike mucking about in puddles - randomized, but following some sort of direction. Playing some music, my head clicks together properly and thoughts come into focused torrents. I live in a world of organized chaos, headwise."

"Sometimes the connections and perceptions in my mind are so abstract there are no words to explain. A lot of times I just know something and can’t explain it—a premonition that’s hard to articulate. If it’s strong I usually say something or explore where it’s coming from, but I will keep it to myself if people don’t seem to understand. Informed decisions require lots of information and looking at a situation from as many different points of view as possible. I find it amusing, the absurdity in everyday situations."

"I love to deconstruct complex concepts, organize ideas, form conclusions or arguments by looking at it through several different lenses. I love that "Aha!" moment when everything clicks together for me."

"To be blunt, I arrived at this typing out of gestalt. Since I know myself better than anybody else, and since I am the common denominator in all of my inter-type relations, my self typing becomes the focal point around my understanding of socionics coalesces. Imagining myself to be different types is akin to playing around with the focus on a pair of binoculars. Everything comes out blurry at all focal settings other than this one. At this point, everything snaps into focus and I am taken aback by how well socionics premises appear to jive with my own experiences. Every other focal setting produces a jumbled mess of incoherence from which nothing of value can be gleaned."

"Vortex thinking believes the system is not perfectly counter balanced, and the connections of all the data imply the value of an unknown variable (all the information points toward its value). The value of the variable is what brings the system back into balance. That's why vortex thinking is opportunistic. Vortex thinking is searching for something."​

Full article - for Ni-Fe type (which is IEI or INFp in socionics) take a look at section on Vortical-Synergetic cognition. The quotes above are from the commentary to the article, which I believe you need to be logged in to be able to see.

The Ni-Te, Fi-Ne, and Ti-Ne types which in terms of MBTI would most closely correlate to INTJ, INFP, and INTP have different thinking style from the one describe above.

Hello,

I have noticed that I have a weird mind, or it's just that I'm an INFJ, but as a child I used to use Ni-Fe a lot. I got to adulthood and it wasn't helping anymore, so now I use Ni-Te a lot. As I am only in my early 20s, I'm still trying to find a balance of using them both. As for Se, well it kinda does it's own thing, I don't really know how I use it except for gaining pleasure in my life.