INFJ: predominantly fours and/or fives? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ: predominantly fours and/or fives?

I dont understand the enneagram system enough to give an informed opinion but i doubt there would be a concise and accurate way to correlate the enneagram with mbti. Mbti is about cognitive preferences and how we percieve/interact with our environment, while enneagram is more about base desires and motivations.

I dont think that there is such as thing as an 'INFJ'. Its just people that share certain cognitive preferences and interaction styles, and may develop and use these preferences in an ulimited myriad ways depending on infinte number of variables. There will certainly be as much difference within a mbti type as there would be between mbti types.

I found this interesting article a while back that talks about the enneagram and childhood environment- http://pstypes.blogspot.com.au/2010/01/chilhood-scenarios-for-enneatypes-law.html.

I do relate to the 'Responsive child vs. Active parent' scenario for type 1s more so than the other scenarios

And for what its worth- I love science. Its the only subject i ever truly excelled in naturally. I always enjoyed english, history, politics, art, but i was always best at science. Science just made sense

I'm an INFJ scientist and possibly a type 5 (with a bit of 2) Science (biology mostly) gives me so much fulfilment as an INFJ because there are so many interesting unanswered questions out there, so many problems, and finding a solution to these could mean helping a lot of people (I work on a genetic disease that mostly affects children). I do think I'm becoming a little disillusioned with research, mostly because I think I would find more motivation if I was closer to the application side of things - eg. Working in a hospital or in science policy. Still, it really surprises me that science isn't a career that's usually advertised to INFJs. Curiosity, enthusiasm, a love for brain storming and following through with intellectual endeavours is perfect for science... As is a desire to make a difference.

There are a lot of INFJ 2's as well... but they're mostly mistyped as ENFJ.

Mistyping is almost a comical idea. The categories are so vague, and almost everyone is confused. We don't even know how to type ourselves, and how can people you don't even know type you? Some put others too quickly into categories (on here, we have many such cases where people use part of an email to type others), or in other cases, it's too slow. And there's so much misinformation. The basis for the MBTI is self-reporting of very vague and evanescent features. But Myers herself said that T is interested in science, and F is interested in the arts. If we don't listen to the original, then how can an effective typological prescription exist? She also said that her INFP dad was a scientist. So it seems that people can work beyond their type, and she said it was easier for Fs to work as Ts than Ts to work out as Fs. That is, it's easier for Fs to think clearly and well, than for Ts to come to terms with their emotions. Well, did she really know all human beings, or was she generalizing based on her dad? A type is a generalization. To move from bits of behavior to enormous overall patterns is hard to achieve accurately. Many people think Obama is a good guy because he presents himself as good. But he lies, and doesn't take responsibility for the problems he has created. So the country is 50-50 on him. If we can not agree on this one person that everyone "knows," how can we agree on anything? It seems to me that "reading" anyone or anything is susceptible to misinterpretation, and that types and traits are very vague and fleeting guesses. This isn't to say that it's impossible. But no one should be too sure of anything.

I found out that many of the INFJ 5s are mis-typed 1w2s and 1w9s. They are easy to confuse for one another. 1s and 5s are both part of competence triad and are even more data rational than 5s. With a 9-wing there is a degree of emotional detachment similar to what is described of type 5. So many 1w9s type themselves as 5w6 or 4w5.

Lexica, how did you find this out? Also, how are you sure you're an INFJ and a 5?