INFJ or INTJ? | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

INFJ or INTJ?

As you can see from my personal details, I'm Enneagram 5 with 4 too, with 9 in the 3rd place of the enneagram trigram - this is consistent over several tests over some period of time. @Wyote , I seem to remember seeing a comment from yourself some months ago about this being unusual for infjs

It's not unusual specifically for infjs, but more that it's just overall an unusual enneagram type for anyone to be. And on top of that, it is one of the most mistyped so when somebody says they are 5 I tend to default towards some hesitancy. I typed myself as 5 at first in fact. Infjs are far more likely to be 4s or 9s.

I typed myself as 5 at first in fact. Infjs are far more likely to be 4s or 9s.
Ditto. That's why I started to get into the material. Reading that the five is often mistyped I looked at the most likely candidates and found my own (in order to be perfectly clear, it's when you're honest about your flaws that you can tell that something fits - at least, that's how I did it).

It's not unusual specifically for infjs, but more that it's just overall an unusual enneagram type for anyone to be.
What is so unusual about it? (Also, do you mean the core type or tritype?)

It's not unusual specifically for infjs, but more that it's just overall an unusual enneagram type for anyone to be. And on top of that, it is one of the most mistyped so when somebody says they are 5 I tend to default towards some hesitancy. I typed myself as 5 at first in fact. Infjs are far more likely to be 4s or 9s.
That figures. I have wondered .... I abandoned questionnaires for mbti, and looked at the types and the dynamics between the elements of their stacks to get some better direction on that, so may need to do something similar with Enneagram too. I've only looked superficially at it so far. I must say that type 5 does fit better than 4 or 9, but all three descriptions seem a bit 2 dimensional - and all of them just give a subset of the story, while including things I don't identify with. I think the 3 types together that make up the tritype fit everything a lot better, but then that involves being subjectively selective in the way their features combine. I'll have to get hold of some manuals or something (sounds like type 5 behaviour :D !!).

That figures. I have wondered .... I abandoned questionnaires for mbti, and looked at the types and the dynamics between the elements of their stacks to get some better direction on that, so may need to do something similar with Enneagram too. I've only looked superficially at it so far. I must say that type 5 does fit better than 4 or 9, but all three descriptions seem a bit 2 dimensional - and all of them just give a subset of the story, while including things I don't identify with. I think the 3 types together that make up the tritype fit everything a lot better, but then that involves being subjectively selective in the way their features combine. I'll have to get hold of some manuals or something (sounds like type 5 behaviour :D !!).

A lot of INFJ philosophers were presumably type 5, including Schopenhauer and Wittgenstein. Plato was most likely a type 1w9.

Most INFJ writers seem to have been 4w5.

I think you make a good INFJ type 5 ;)

What is so unusual about it?

I would also say that it is "unusual" in that an INFJ is generally feeling based. Yea we sort of walk that line, but when it comes down to it, the line falls more on empathy than mastery, which is more the core of 5s. INTJs are far and away more built to be a 5. Not exclusive to them by any means, but it would be less "unusual" to see an INTJ as a 5.

INFJs can get caught up in perfectionism, and confuse this with a mastery mindset. So I think in some instances they are more prone to mistyping as 5s.
I am just super cautious of INFJs typing themselves as 5s. Doesn't mean they don't exist or anything.

A lot of INFJ philosophers were presumably type 5, including Schopenhauer and Wittgenstein. Plato was most likely a type 1w9.

Most INFJ writers seem to have been 4w5.

I think you make a good INFJ type 5 ;)
Thanks for this Ren. It feels the most right just browsing the descriptions - particularly taken as part of the tritype :)

Thanks for this Ren. It feels the most right just browsing the descriptions - particularly taken as part of the tritype :)

I don't see you being currently caught up in perfectionism, and it seems that being investigative and in pursuit of mastery is something quite natural for you, not anything you are particularly aiming for but more a byproduct of how you operate, which makes me more confident that you are/could be 5.

I would also say that it is "unusual" in that an INFJ is generally feeling based. Yea we sort of walk that line, but when it comes down to it, the line falls more on empathy than mastery, which is more the core of 5s. INTJs are far and away more built to be a 5. Not exclusive to them by any means, but it would be less "unusual" to see an INTJ as a 5.

INFJs can get caught up in perfectionism, and confuse this with a mastery mindset. So I think in some instances they are more prone to mistyping as 5s.
I am just super cautious of INFJs typing themselves as 5s. Doesn't mean they don't exist or anything.
This is what gives me the basis of doubt. I think I’ll keep 5 as a working hypothesis and play with the whole thing for a while. The questionnaires I have done came out with several very close leading scores though 5 always came out slightly ahead.

I don't see you being currently caught up in perfectionism, and it seems that being investigative and in pursuit of mastery is something quite natural for you, not anything you are particularly aiming for but more a byproduct of how you operate, which makes me more confident that you are/could be 5.
Well it’s quite in keeping with my character and fate to be odd even as infjs go :D. I’m far too tuned into all the emotional charge fields saturating the biosphere to be any good at intj ....

Well, ok. I suggest John and I will fall into a new personality category:

IN2J also known as ' The Chameleon '.

Well, ok. I suggest John and I will fall into a new personality category:

IN2J also known as ' The Chameleon '.

An infj would want to create a new category for themselves lol

An infj would want to create a new category for themselves lol

Nothing left to live for now - a lifetime's ambition realised in a flash lol :m073:

images

1.PearlofGreatPrice.jpg

Nothing left to live for now - a lifetime's ambition realised in a flash lol :m073:

images

1.PearlofGreatPrice.jpg

Funny story: my gf and I recently changed our rings to flat pearl rings. Mine is black and it's quite cool, I must say :)

Funny story: my gf and I recently changed our rings to flat pearl rings. Mine is black and it's quite cool, I must say :)
That's cool. My wife wanted black pearl earings for our 30th anniversary (far too long ago now) - she's definitely a black pearl lady in the best possible sense :).