INFJ or Borderline? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ or Borderline?

At what point do personality traits become "disorders"? How much should we let people be themselves vs. tell them they need to change?

I’ve suffered mentally, won’t say what but… simply a “problem” becomes a disorder when someone can no longer cope with day-to-day life. I’m not meaning the wishy-washy metaphorical sense… obviously self-harm and suicidal behaviours (common theme of BPD) are real and serious issues, you cannot say someone who does this is healthy, and thus needs help/change.

So someone is yelling because they are angry. Fine. But if they are constantly yelling in the faces of people in the public and prompting the police to be called in, then that is a problem.

Same with confusion. Fine. But if they keep on forgetting to put on shoes while they are on the hunt for a new job and showing up shoeless at their initial interviews, then that is a problem.

If someone keeps cutting people out of their lives at the drop of a hat, including family which anybody can see is nothing but supportive, than it’s a problem.

Ahhh, running in the street naked, not for a joke though funny as it is…

The list goes on, you can probs think of your own I think this is the current accepted indicator of diagnosing someone with a “disorder”.

I suppose it’s the same with ADHD vs. being naughty? There’s a spectrum but somewhere along the line where something gets out of hand consistently you may get a diagnosis. Like running out onto the busy street, despite lectured not to

INFJs may feel like they are different, very different from other types, but can be at peace with themselves. Accept others and themselves for what they are. Despite our tendency to be sensitive, depressive, insecure, etc. we can still be “healthy” and cope with regulating to the normal expectations of society. An unhealthy INFJ may appear to have BPD, but unhealthy is just unhealthy, doesn’t necessarily mean you are INFJ.

Maybe INFJs are predisposed to having BPD. Idk. Most psychiatric disorders are explained with the biopsychosocial model, meaning there are at least three components to contributing to psychiatric vulnerability (your chances of developing it). I guess MBTI could fit somewhere in there.