Imagining yourself in your mind | INFJ Forum

Imagining yourself in your mind

barbad0s

Banned
Apr 18, 2011
MBTI
POOP
Do you do it a lot? Do you spend most of your time immersed in the moment, or most of your time imagining yourself doing something? How do you experience things around you, and yourself doing things? How do you think about this?

Reactions: invisible
I imagine myself in the distant future that, at the time, I hope would come to fruition. For example, I often imagine myself giving lectures to a very enthusiastic audience, or perhaps debating somebody on television.....or running the country. heh.

Reactions: Free
Both the outside world and the internal world are shaped in the mind.

Interesting question. Almost never. I will replay things that I said or did that I re-examine but I do not imagine my actual self. Even when I fantasize, it is always the person or scenario but without me in it. I think this is odd.

I think I am more inside my head. I don't reflect on the past too much unless I'm still trying to understand a certain situation that recently took place. I'm more future oriented while inside my head, but it's not me, it's my kids, my husband, some friends I worry about. I try to also be in the moment, but that takes effort that I don't always have.

Tough question. A bit abstract. I like it!

So I would say the majority of my life is in my own mind thinking about future scenarios or straight made up shit like me at some place I've never even seen before. I'm never in these imaginations like viewing myself third person, but I'm experiencing them through my own eyes or as some sort of god like observer of the situation.

So that's like 75% of my life. Then another 15% is like being superficially present where I'm just going through motions, thinking passively about them just to be able to do them like not dropping plates or running into fucking walls (which I do anyway sometimes, somehow). Then it's like 5% completely blanking out and 5% being fully present and appreciating my senses to the max.

EDIT: Ok maybe it's like 4% and 4% of a grey area and then 1% and 1% of total blank out and total immersion.

Imagining yourself in your mind; Do you do it a lot?
I have nothing to compare it to but, I tend to envision my future self frequent enough; the goal of who I want to become that I am working towards.

Do you spend most of your time immersed in the moment, or most of your time imagining yourself doing something?
Mostly the latter, and I toggle between a variety of perspectives

How do you experience things around you, and yourself doing things?
In a daily routine I am mostly on auto-pilot, until I go outdoors or do something new/outside of my routines.
If not on autopilot, then I become hyper-aware, I begin to live in the now then and become extremely aware of small things like the wind stroking past my face and take time to explore all the things in the now that I feel. I also tend to have a 3D map of the space around me in my mind, I usually am able to find my way around without seeing something when I've seen it.

When I look at things I tend to define them, I look at the details and build them in 3D in my mind and observe their shapes and pick out the material properties like how they interact with light, how reflective they are, what kind of pattern their material structure has and the uniqueness of items that make the object of my fascination different from the others, and would make it more realistic if recreated.

How do you think about this?
I am not certain to what "this" refers in your question but if "this" refers to how I answer these questions, then in my head I rewound and watched clips of interest of my day today and other moments that stood out to me at different points in time, and considered how I experienced them along with reviewing any observations that I might have made that I can still remember.

[MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION] I hope this was the kind of thing you were looking for with these questions,
If its not feel free to explain them to me further and I'll get back to you ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
Tough question. A bit abstract. I like it!

So I would say the majority of my life is in my own mind thinking about future scenarios or straight made up shit like me at some place I've never even seen before. I'm never in these imaginations like viewing myself third person, but I'm experiencing them through my own eyes or as some sort of god like observer of the situation.

So that's like 75% of my life. Then another 15% is like being superficially present where I'm just going through motions, thinking passively about them just to be able to do them like not dropping plates or running into fucking walls (which I do anyway sometimes, somehow). Then it's like 5% completely blanking out and 5% being fully present and appreciating my senses to the max.

EDIT: Ok maybe it's like 4% and 4% of a grey area and then 1% and 1% of total blank out and total immersion.
I would say I relate to this. Especially the % distributions haha. I do the god-like omniscient view a lot. I know it's not going to be that accurate and my imagination attempts to fill a lot of blanks in sorta. So it's a lot of blurred birds eye views of myself in my current situation. Or I'm running mental movies of what I imagine my friends, loved ones, acquaintances, or anyone really is doing at the moment. Essentially most of the time I am not completely present.

I would say I relate to this. Especially the % distributions haha. I do the god-like omniscient view a lot. I know it's not going to be that accurate and my imagination attempts to fill a lot of blanks in sorta. So it's a lot of blurred birds eye views of myself in my current situation. Or I'm running mental movies of what I imagine my friends, loved ones, acquaintances, or anyone really is doing at the moment. Essentially most of the time I am not completely present.

Probably what would be interesting to figure out is exactly what people are perceiving during that 75%. Like, a lot of stuff I think about involves me taking part in some grand activity or social scenario in the future, or made up social scenario. I put myself in social circumstances a lot. Like how would I react to person A telling me they want to kill themselves or what would I say to person B if they suddenly wanted to go out with or had feelings for person A.

I like to window myself. That is, step outside of my own head, and look back at myself. Often commenting something like "If only the world could see this moment, they would understand" or possibly "Maybe one day they'll make a movie about me, but it would never suffice" haha.

Sometimes, I'll imagine myself a character in a movie about my life, but it always makes me sad in the end, because I soon imagine circumstances that are far, far removed from reality, and all daydreams end sometime. I think that this is my escape mechanism, and I'm working on reducing these tendencies.

Aside from that, I rarely imagine myself in my mind. I find that I am as shaped by what others think of me externally as by what I think of myself internally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Siimplicity