I'm not sure what to make of this | INFJ Forum

I'm not sure what to make of this

Koba

Community Member
Oct 8, 2008
MBTI
nope
Someone I don't know has smiled at me and said hello twice. I do not know her name, but I know we have at least two classes together. Usually in this kind of situation I am not entirely sure they are talking to me and I am afraid of saying hello to someone who isn't talking to me because they couldn't care less about me and so they'll be annoyed, but somehow it was rather clear with her.

Anyway, how would you interpret this? Is this meant to be some kind of invitation for further interaction? We haven't even had a conversation though. Why would she want to interact with me?

Someone I don't know has smiled at me and said hello twice. I do not know her name, but I know we have at least two classes together. Usually in this kind of situation I am not entirely sure they are talking to me and I am afraid of saying hello to someone who isn't talking to me because they couldn't care less about me and so they'll be annoyed, but somehow it was rather clear with her.

Anyway, how would you interpret this? Is this meant to be some kind of invitation for further interaction? We haven't even had a conversation though. Why would she want to interact with me?

When you say it's rather clear, does she seem to acknowledge you more than anyone else in those situations? If the attention she is giving is unique to you, then the next time she smiles and says hello, you could say hi, and then ask something trivial to start a conversation, just to see how she responds. I suggest that doing that rather than going up to her and initiating something on the spot. Best of luck.

You should try to talk to her. Don't afraid or get scared of anything. may be that girl wanted to take care of yourself.

Is she making eye contact with just you? I know you said your not sure, but sometimes our perception is skewed by our self esteem. If she made eye contact, the hello was a deliberate attempt to reach out to someone she finds interesting. Take it slow, say hello back next time. After that introduce yourself.

Is she making eye contact with just you? I know you said your not sure, but sometimes our perception is skewed by our self esteem. If she made eye contact, the hello was a deliberate attempt to reach out to someone she finds interesting. Take it slow, say hello back next time. After that introduce yourself.

The last time there was no one else was there, and she did it as she was walking by. I mean in general I am never sure, but she is more clearly looking at me etc.

What exactly am I taking slow? I don't know what she wants or what her motivation is. I'm not sure what she has to find interesting about me, but I guess it's possible to be drawn towards someone's demeanor. It seems strange to me that she would say hello in passing though. That's normally reserved for people you have had at least one conversation with. If she's drawn towards my demeanor wouldn't she try to start a conversation or put herself in a situation where a conversation might occur?

I guess this can function as a reply to the other two of you.

I hate when this happens 9/10, the person knows me from a year or two back and I don't even remember them. Sometimes I get lucky and someone will introduce who they are either because that is their personality or they caught on to the fact that I didn't know who they were. Sometimes I have to bluntly say "I don't know who you are."

I know this isn't your situation at all but it just reminded me of when this happens to me.

I hate when this happens 9/10, the person knows me from a year or two back and I don't even remember them. Sometimes I get lucky and someone will introduce who they are either because that is their personality or they caught on to the fact that I didn't know who they were. Sometimes I have to bluntly say "I don't know who you are."

I know this isn't your situation at all but it just reminded me of when this happens to me.

Something similar used to happen to me, but I figured out that there is a difference between that and this, besides the the fact that I am less likely to run into somoene. In that situation, they call me by name. This person did not. In all likelihood she doesn't know my name, although she might have overheard it sometime.

In the situation you describe I just small talk my way through it.

what I mean by take it slow is say hello first, introduce yourself next (if given the opportunity), then let the pieces fall where they may.

First off, did she look you directly in the eyes when she was saying hello? Even though she was walking was her body language open to you? (Did she look at you from a distance, or only up close)

Somebody saying hello is a sign that they wish to talk to you. The only time I could hear it otherwise would be if she was trying to get something out of you; perhaps she would like help in one of the classes you have together.

It's hard to figure out why people do things, the easiest way would be to ask her!