I'm a Personist. | INFJ Forum

I'm a Personist.

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
I've decided I'm a Personist.

People are people. Trying to apply any form of centric thinking to other people is always going to fail in the long run, since everyone is different. Being a Personist means that you accept people for who they are, regardless of what that is, and don't need them to fit into any boxes - even though most people do (which is also their right as people to be whoever they want).

Me too, with the minor caveat of them not forcing anything on anyone else I am cool with anybody.

I accept people for who they are but distance myself from those I don't quite like - personist? It's not that I judge or want to change them, just that I don't enjoy their company so much.

*Jumps on the wagon

Huzzah for letting people be who they are!

I tend to be anti-personist. Not by choice, though (darn you, classical conditioning).

I am definitely a personist.
This isn't shocking. I see the other INFJs said the same thing, haha.

-Anna

Sounds a lot like a humanist.

Sounds like just another label to box people in.

Reactions: Nixie

People are people. Trying to apply any form of centric thinking to other people is always going to fail in the long run, since everyone is different. Being a Personist means that you accept people for who they are, regardless of what that is, and don't need them to fit into any boxes - even though most people do (which is also their right as people to be whoever they want).

Additional note: a person is not defined by their actions, and so this position does not contradict
judging the actions of others; it implies that, as a person, you must accept (and also love) them.
It also does not mean we are not allowed to categorise people, but that we have to realise that
they are first and foremost people with souls and free will, equal in the eyes of God, and thus we
strive to see them as equal in our own.

Amen.

Reactions: aeon and VH

I can't understand people's obsession with labels, but this'll do me.

I can't understand people's obsession with labels, but this'll do me.

There is an element of irony in the whole notion, of course. ;)

The point is to make clear the distinction between an apparent box, and an essential one.

Similarly, we cannot avoid using words altogether, but it is foolish to think the words we use represent absolute concepts.

Is this about completely dismissing stereotypes, or about not locking into stereotypes but still using them just as much as anyone else? Like, would a personist feel threathened if he saw a shark swimming near him, even though the shark had yet to actually show any interest in him (ideally)?