icebergs | INFJ Forum

icebergs

S

Shadowforce

In my quest to understand of the shadowside, I somewhere came across the idea of people being like icebergs. As in that the conscious portion of the mind is visible to other people, but the under-the-water portion is vastly more huge and powerful. Now, this being a forum of intuitional minded people for the most part, would you agree?

Well, it's not a subject I am vastly knowledgeable in, but from what I understand people only use a small portion of their brain to function. It's something researchers have been trying to tap into for some time, but that's really all I know about this.

It was disproven. We use more of our brains then they thought we did. It still doesn't make it any less fascinating though.

I think of people as dark pools of water. What lies beneath the surface is what is frightening to me, much like the iceberg.

I agree, and it's discovering the 'hidden' side of someone, that is interesting.

Using the iceberg image - I think introverts are like icebergs - most of the activity is under the surface; extraverts are like reverse icebergs, with most of the activity above the surface.

As for the subconscious.... I would say that the inside of an iceberg is like the unconscious - it is fixed and not easily changed by any external influence. The conscious part of a person is more like the outside of an iceberg - it can easily change and interact with its environment, but is shaped and held in place by the subconscious inside.

In my quest to understand of the shadowside, I somewhere came across the idea of people being like icebergs. As in that the conscious portion of the mind is visible to other people, but the under-the-water portion is vastly more huge and powerful. Now, this being a forum of intuitional minded people for the most part, would you agree?

While I do agree there can be a lot hidden under the surface, I have to question the conscious part of the mind as being visible. People differ so much it is hard to put it in words. Some people along the spectrum may show a lot of their conscious mind, while others may show only what they want others to see. Here again, there is a broad spectrum of those doing the seeing. Some people see only what they are shown, while others can see much deeper beyond any hidden agenda. I see an iceburg as a frozen, cold, solid part of the mind and the ocean it is floating in as that which I would call possibilities or potential. I like the use of things seen and things underlying, but would rather look at what the thing is made of as what it is floating in. In contrast, I believe there are those I could term as being thermostats and those as being thermometers, though individualities allow those likely to fall anywhere along a line in between that, too. The outside world can turn some people into something as cold as ice showing little, yet having much unseen underneath. Others can help warm most everyone up to melt away the ice to become part of the real picture I see as the ocean.
I feel the more huge and powerful is that which the iceburg exists in or is floating in. I see an ocean, others may see an iceburg. The way we see things can fall anywhere along the line.

It was disproven. We use more of our brains then they thought we did. It still doesn't make it any less fascinating though.

Yes and no. We use our whole brain not doubt - even slight brain damage is devestating! But the real question is do we use our mind? I think there's a LOT underneath going on that we're not usually aware of.

I think people are like icebergs. What lies beneath the water is anyone's guess... the Titanic found that out the hard way.

When I think of iceberg, I think of single blocks of ice floating all alone. Even though people may have a mysterious dept within them, I doubt many are singled (loners) and floats (hold to their own ideas and morals). Although, they flows where ever the water take them. (Like what people do when they are against the norm. They tend to conform).

Most peple in others see only what they want or expect. Nothing more. Maybe it's because they usually forget that there is also something beneath the surface.