I need help with a complex problem | INFJ Forum

I need help with a complex problem

#@&5&49

Mar 4, 2012
MBTI
Inf?
I have a complex problem that I cannot supply specific details about but I need a variety of opinions and perspectives to help me make a decision about what to do. I recently asked a professional to be part of a team of professionals I put together to manage a very delicate project. This person was to take on a leadership role that would allow me to step back and take care of other pressing matters.

IMO this person had all of the skills and experience to assume this role. I felt confident in their abilities, so confident that I relaxed my guard and chose to trust them to a larger degree then I had trusted someone in this role before. I did this in part because I needed a break and partly because I felt confident in their ability to do the job and do it well.

Unfortunately, this person had some ulterior concerns that I was unaware of. They expressed these concerns to me in an indirect way but I admittedly didn't pick up on them. As a result, I allowed them access to my team in a leadership role. They wreaked havoc with my team and undermined some of my projects main goals. Now, many of the existing members of my team are basically freaked out. This was a team I had put together over years and hand picked each and every member. This is close to a dozen people who all play a significant role in managing a project that is very dear to me.

Right now I have several problems.

1) I have to clean up the problems this person created.

2) I am not going to be able to clean this up with all of the members of my team, which means I may have to let go of some of them, or some of them may choose to leave, or the professional relationship we previously had, that was running smoothly, now has to be redefined.

3) I have to find replacements for the members of my team that either choose to leave or I have to let go of. This is no easy task because it took years to find each one of these people and a few of them I've developed long term professional relationships with that I grew to rely on.

4) I have to replace the person I hired as team leader, which unfortunately isn't an easy task because this persons skills are so specialized there are only a half dozen to maybe a dozen people that have the experience and specialization to do what they do. This would also entail me moving my project to another state, which I don't want to do. I don't think it's going to be possible to salvage the professional relationship with this team leader, even if it were possible I wouldn't be able to trust them to be willing to answer to me.

5) I need/have to let go of the direct hands on leadership role I have in this team but I need to stay the person making most if not all of the final decisions. Apparently, when you hire someone to run a very specialized project such as this, the people you need are people who are used to running their own show and most likely aren't going to sit well with having to answer to someone in the way I want them to answer to me.

6) I'm pissed off because I'm having to do all of this. I'm pissed at myself because I should have been more careful in choosing the person to lead this team. Im pissed because the professionals available to do this job are limited, which means there isn't a lot to choose from to begin with. Im pissed because the nature of the project requires me to make decisions I don't have a lot of experience making. I'm also just pissed off at this team leader for taking my team and my project goals in a direction they fully knew I was radically opposed to. Lastly, I'm pissed off because in just a few short weeks this person managed to undermine and wreak havoc with a project I've spent years developing.

I realize one of the first things I need to do is get over being so angry. But even after that, the reality of the situation still exists and has to be dealt with. Maybe I'm missing some important points or not seeing the whole picture. Anyone have any thoughts, insights, advice, opinions?

I'm pissed off because I'm having to do all of this. I'm pissed at myself because I should have been more careful in choosing the person to lead this team.....

Been there. I'm really sorry this is happening to you.

I Know I'm beginning with a question you already answered, but is there any way to salvage your old team? Can you re-group and explain it is going back to how things were? This may spare you a move to a different state.

Can you hire someone to be your 'assistant', so they know they still answer to you, despite being in a leadership role?

Out of anger for you: How can this person expect to work in the industry if this is how they handle responsibility!!?!!!????? They destroyed a team that functioned well!!! Argh!

As this conversation progresses, I hope to be able to add more helpful suggestions.

Reactions: #@&5&49
I imagine if you get rid of the source of the problem things will eventually be repaired. It might feel like things are completely destroyed but if you show your team humility they will be forgiving. If it took this person two or three weeks to dismantle things it may take six weeks to straighten it out. It might be hard to find a replacement but they do need replacing. You have more credibility built up with the rest of your team. People are understanding, things never run perfectly 100% of the time but if it has been smooth in the past they know it can be the same again.

No point in beating yourself up. You made the best decision with the information you had at the time and hindsight is always 20/20. Worrying and feeling guilty/regretful of what happened is important to express but also know that your focus now is cleaning up the mess the best you can and realize that any wayward emotions can fog the lens you're looking through to do this. So step one? Make peace with having fucked up, because everyone fucks up sometimes.

Secondly, look at this as a challenge and an opportunity to reframe the project rather than a step back. There are no errors or mistakes that aren't precious feedback; salvage what lessons you can from what had happened. You don't have to scrap everything and start over. Use it to reaffirm your resolve and remind yourself and everyone on your team why what you're doing is important and why a setback isn't the end here.

Thirdly, be honest with your teammates. Yes, this happened, yes it's inconvenient but we are going to work through this. If possible, take the egalitarian approach and openly communicate with your team members. Reiterate the project goals, acknowledge the problems bringing this person in had caused, apologize where necessary and present a couple of solutions that you can afford to put to vote. Give people a chance to weigh in. When everyone feels like they're part of the solution rather than just following your lead on cleaning up a mess you're partially responsible for, you will build a sense of community and have access to multiple perspectives rather than working on your own

And yeah, it shows humility and trust.

There's no problem out there you can't bounce back from. You just got to stay focused on the solutions.

i could go on and on about this but i'm not going to let myself lol
basically my thoughts boil down to:
i'd be thinking of starting from scratch. yes it's shitty, but if you strip all the should haves out of the equation, that's where it ultimately leads.
in my life, i tend to look abstractly (without emotion most times) at my situations. i also tend to give it up to the universe a lot. lol. yes this does work...at least for me.
sending you good energy my friend :)

[MENTION=1360]atree[/MENTION], all I can say is thank you for taking the time to share and consolidate what is probably years of management experience combined with some real talent in managing people into a few paragraphs full of nuggets of advice that I will put into immediate use.

Yeah, I fucked up and now have to sweep up the mess and you just handed me some really important tools to help me do that. I really appreciate you taking the time to share that knowledge and experience with me - thank you. Im picturing myself slowly backing out of a room and sweeping up my tracks as I leave. Yes, mistakes are full of "precious feedback and salvageable lessons". Thank you for the reality check as well.

@atree, all I can say is thank you for taking the time to share and consolidate what is probably years of management experience combined with some real talent in managing people into a few paragraphs full of nuggets of advice that I will put into immediate use.

Yeah, I fucked up and now have to sweep up the mess and you just handed me some really important tools to help me do that. I really appreciate you taking the time to share that knowledge and experience with me - thank you. Im picturing myself slowly backing out of a room and sweeping up my tracks as I leave. Yes, mistakes are full of "precious feedback and salvageable lessons". Thank you for the reality check as well.

I'm happy I could be of some assistance, @Sadie. We all make mistakes; some of them are errors in judgment, some are just unforseeable events. It happens! Just be the plastic bouncy ball in life. Whenever you hit the ground hard, just think about how much more altitude you can get :)

The best of luck to you!

If your team was so well assembled, experienced, and capable, it seems like madness to bring in an outsider to take over such a small group.

Without knowing the particulars, I think you should have appointed some, or all of them to a board, and have left them to handle the day to day, employing external consultants when necessary.

My guess is that you have disenfranchised your team. An externally sourced manager only works in small established organisations, when their cv exceeds the combined experience of the existing team.

[MENTION=4855]JGirl[/MENTION], there's a lot to be said for letting things naturally unfold. I don't know how necessary it is to control every moment. Thanks for reminding me of that.

If your team was so well assembled, experienced, and capable, it seems like madness to bring in an outsider to take over such a small group.

Without knowing the particulars, I think you should have appointed some, or all of them to a board, and have left them to handle the day to day, employing external consultants when necessary.

My guess is that you have disenfranchised your team. An externally sourced manager only works in small established organisations, when their cv exceeds the combined experience of the existing team.

Good point. I very well may have had a moment of "madness" when I chose to bring this individual on board. And yes, I agree, why fix something that ain't broke. If the team was running well and now it isn't, yes, I caused that disruption by my actions. I'm hoping it's going to pan out in a way that is beneficial, whether as a few lessons learnt by a moment of "madness" or in another way I might not be able to foresee right now.

You have more credibility built up with the rest of your team. People are understanding, things never run perfectly 100% of the time but if it has been smooth in the past they know it can be the same again.

I needed that reminder. Yes, I have had a good professional relationship with some of the members on this team. Thank you for reminding me of that. And yes, in the past there have been a few stragglers that have disrupted things that eventually smoothed over. Basically, almost every time I've added a new team member there has been a transition period. It's like that saying about groups. "They form, then storm, then conform". Thank you for your input.

Can you hire someone to be your 'assistant', so they know they still answer to you, despite being in a leadership role?

That has been suggested to me before and is something I'm beginning to consider more seriously. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

[MENTION=14092]Asa[/MENTION], [MENTION=251]Wyote[/MENTION], [MENTION=1360]atree[/MENTION], [MENTION=4855]JGirl[/MENTION], [MENTION=862]Flavus Aquila[/MENTION], you are all awesome for taking the time to share your thoughts, opinions and experiences with me. It's been tremendously helpful. Thank you very much!

Reactions: JGirl
Ouch, I think I'd look critically at the core of what you want to achieve and be ruthless in cutting out anything that is not totally required. Work I mean, not the people. I'd make the focus on getting that good vibe back, you obviously care about it and the people. Be as honest and upfront as you possibly can, apologise. Once they get it, that you really care about them as well as the project, I think you'll get it back on track. Use praise, be specific so your team know you mean it. Get them feeling a good vibe again. The fact you posted this shows how much you care. Let them see that. Good luck.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk