I just watched Gravity | INFJ Forum

I just watched Gravity

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
So I just watched the movie Gravity and I have to say wow. Much better than I would have thought considering I was never bombarded with commercials telling me to go watch it. Just a really good movie. Sad, but good.

Yeah, it is.
When George Clooney came back knocking on the glass window/ door, I really thought he had come back to life...

Reactions: hush
So I just watched the movie Gravity and I have to say wow. Much better than I would have thought considering I was never bombarded with commercials telling me to go watch it. Just a really good movie. Sad, but good.

was it based on a true story at all?

I thought it would end on a sad note, going by the tone of the rest of the film. was half expecting the re-entry sequence to be another hallucination..
Good film though.

was it based on a true story at all?

No but they tried to make the environment as realistic as possible. How things act in space etc...

It was one of the most terrible movies I have ever seen.

Two of the major plot twists centered around breaking the laws of gravity. Ill be vague enough so that there are no spoilers but those who know might remember.
1) The rope dangling scene
2) debris stays static in space and they keep orbiting like normal

It irks me to think that the millions of people who saw that film now have a complete misunderstanding of how objects in space behave.

Just saw it last night. Was good, but underwhelming (based on how much everyone was raving).

I saw the film, although I can understand why many thought the film was good, I was not impressed. I've seen better films capture the emotional desperation and despondence of being alone in space. I think they tried to make it seem as if what they did in gravity has never been done before. And it has. Can't think of film names, but it didn't seem outstanding. Sandra Bullock has starred in dramatic films before but she does more comedies. People forget that she has done these types of roles, so they want to recognize her for it because it seems so different from what many has seen her do.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... that is a problem with giving a good review. People go in expecting the best and are disappointed. The same goes for bad reviews. I only mention it because I thought it was a very good movie for hearing so little about it myself.

As for how real the scene with the ropes was... are you sure thats not how it would really be in space? The one astronaut is closer to earth so theoretically would potentially have more gravity to deal with. Do you remember many years back they were running experiments with tethers to see if they could get energy from the setup? The tether had a large ball on the end and the only thing that kept the line tight was the balls position relative to the space shuttle.

It was one of the most terrible movies I have ever seen.

Two of the major plot twists centered around breaking the laws of gravity. Ill be vague enough so that there are no spoilers but those who know might remember.
1) The rope dangling scene
2) debris stays static in space and they keep orbiting like normal

It irks me to think that the millions of people who saw that film now have a complete misunderstanding of how objects in space behave.

I don't recall the rope scene, but I do know that space debris only remains static to the relative direction it travels. Anything going slower, in the opposite direction or off to the side will be essentially sand blasted or worse. Dr. Michio Kaku has been pretty outspoken about the dangers it poses.

As for the overall movie... meh. "Moon" was a hundred times better on the storytelling and atmosphere front.

No but they tried to make the environment as realistic as possible. How things act in space etc...

I thought that was the best part of the film. I'm sure some laws of physics were bent slightly due to artistic license, but the director surprised me. I was definitely impressed.

Hmmm.... that is a problem with giving a good review. People go in expecting the best and are disappointed. The same goes for bad reviews. I only mention it because I thought it was a very good movie for hearing so little about it myself.

As for how real the scene with the ropes was... are you sure thats not how it would really be in space? The one astronaut is closer to earth so theoretically would potentially have more gravity to deal with. Do you remember many years back they were running experiments with tethers to see if they could get energy from the setup? The tether had a large ball on the end and the only thing that kept the line tight was the balls position relative to the space shuttle.

They'd have to be hundreds of miles apart for there to be a significant difference in gravity. The gravity at the altitude of the ISS is only something like 10% less than it is on the ground.

This basically means that if you were out in space at the level of the space station, and you had one rope tied to a 200 pound man on the ground, and another rope tied to a 200 pound man floating just 100 meters below you - pretending that only gravity and the weight of the men matters and disregarding atmosphere and rotation and all that - if you pulled on both ropes at the same time, the man standing on earth would only feel about 20 pounds heavier than the one that is near you.

Edit:
And yes microgravity differences do have an effect on energy and things. But for that scene there'd be no relevant difference. It's not something a human would really be able to feel in that scenario. So technically, yes - practically, no.

Last edited: