I don't believe in good or evil. | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

I don't believe in good or evil.

I'll have to do some research on conscience. It's interesting, because two different people could be driven by their conscience to completely different ends.

I'm curious, what do you think the Milgram experiment tells us about the human conscience? How about the Standford experiment?

Don't know anything about those experiments but I doubt the "conscience" is something you could really prove empirically. It seems as if it's more along the lines of emotional reactions towards things having to do with values. Values are obviously subjective and have to do with the way you grow up so I would say it also influences your "conscience" in a similar way.

The Golden Rule:

The Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity is a maxim, ethical code, or morality that essentially states either of the following:
(Positive form): One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
(Negative/prohibitive form, also called The Silver Rule): One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated.

This concept describes a "reciprocal" or "two-way" relationship between one's self and others that involves both sides equally and in a mutual fashion.

This concept can be studied from the perspective of psychology, philosophy, sociology, religion, etc.: Psychologically it involves a person empathizing with others. Philosophically it involves a person perceiving their neighbor as also "an I" or "self." Sociologically, this principle is applicable between individuals, between groups, and between individuals and groups. (For example, a person living by this rule treats all people with consideration, not just members of his or her in-group.) Religion is an integral part of the history of this concept.

As a concept, the Golden Rule has a history that long predates the term "Golden Rule" (or "Golden law", as it was called from the 1670s). As a concept of "the ethic of reciprocity," it has its roots in a wide range of world cultures, and is a standard way that different cultures use to resolve conflicts. It has a long history, and a great number of prominent religious figures and philosophers have restated its reciprocal, "two-way" nature in various ways (not limited to the above forms).

Statements that mirror the Golden Rule appear in Ancient Egypt in the story of The Eloquent Peasant. Rushworth Kidder discusses the early contributions of Confucius (551–479 B.C.) (See a version in Confucianism below). Kidder notes that this concept's framework appears prominently in many religions, including "Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and the rest of the world's major religions". According to Greg M. Epstein, " 'do unto others' ... is a concept that essentially no religion misses entirely." Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition".

I'll have to do some research on conscience. It's interesting, because two different people could be driven by their conscience to completely different ends.

I'm curious, what do you think the Milgram experiment tells us about the human conscience? How about the Standford experiment?
there's a conscience, and an animal making those decisions.