[PUG] - Human Rights for Embryos? | INFJ Forum

[PUG] Human Rights for Embryos?

Are they humans?

A friend of mine brings up the following:

Not cool. If this passes it'll open up a messy can of worms. Example; Do women who have miscarriages get charged with manslaughter? What if a woman falls down the stairs and someone says she did it on purpose...does she go on trial for murder? What if a woman has an "illegal" abortion...is she sent to prison for 20+ years?

I do not think so. Embryos may be organisms, but they are not fully functioning humans. Having a blueprint does not mean the sketched building is constructed. Respect for life can easily exist on its own without political intervention.

Reactions: Bird and 894tt3h9
I always did think pro-lifers were nutcases.

Anyhow, they are lobbying for laws that support their beliefs. It really bothers me when people hold a belief that I don't, and they go so far as to try to legally impose upon others to follow their beliefs. I understand that this modus operandi is standard and in principle it's OK. But personally, it just bothers me when someone's beliefs are extreme and overbearing.

For example, child abuse is widely believed to be unacceptable. This belief is imposed upon people, legally. Not allowed to beat your kids. This law is people being "controlling" and "asserting their beliefs onto others". Not necessarily bad, but it depends what the belief is, and personal opinion. That's why I said I was bothered, as opposed to "that is wrong".

Last edited:
Wow I am sorry but this is just insane. I am all for not killing each other but I don't see killing an embryo as murder.

I may not be pro choice, but this is getting ridiculous. And before anyone gets on my tail, I'm pro birth control.

I do not think so. Embryos may be organisms, but they are not fully functioning humans.
What does being fully functional have to do with it? Do you think handicapped should be put out of their misery?

Reactions: Rasmus
I may not be pro choice, but this is getting ridiculous. And before anyone gets on my tail, I'm pro birth control.

What does being pro birth control have to do with anything?

Until a form of contraception that's 100% effective that doesn't result in you mutilating your body becomes widely available, I'd always have abortion available as an option.

So if people want children they abort them and use birth control? Please explain the logic behind your objection.

Birth control isn't 100% effective, so even if you use contraception you may still be facing the decision of either an abortion or an unwanted pregnancy.

"Amendment 26 is unlikely to produce change in abortion law, even in Mississippi, which has only one clinic that performs the procedure. Until the U.S. Supreme Court says otherwise, Roe v. Wade is the law of the land, including Mississippi."

(Reading between the lines, it is essentially meaningless legislation and political posturing. Even many deeply religious conservative Christians are uncomfortable with it since it makes things like IVF possibly illegal.)

Roe v. Wade is currently in effect and it grants fewer rights to embryos closer to conception, and much more rights closer to birth, basically establishing something like "personhood" (ish) around the time a fetus is able to think. Roughly around month 6.

Birth control isn't 100% effective, so even if you use contraception you may still be facing the decision of either an abortion or an unwanted pregnancy.

True. But it significantly reduces the chances and you can use combinations of methods if you're smart enough. Now, I'm not referring to situations where women end up pregnant as the result of rape (that is something very different altogether) but I'm referring to situations which involve two consenting adults who are in a sound enough frame of mind to take precaution.

I'm pro-life from an idealistic standpoint, but pro-choice from a realistic standpoint. I hate those terms btw. It insinuates one is either anti-life or anti-choice.

Reactions: 88chaz88