[INFJ] - How to master the first week @work? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] How to master the first week @work?

Feb 2, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
INFJ
Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum and as an INFJ to the core I'm in love with it!

I'm female, 25, and I'm addressing you because I'm interested in your experiences with getting into a new job, integrating into your team and over the lung run, how you did you manage to become a valuable asset that must be kept in the company? Specifically, tips for the very first week would be very valuable, as I'm going to start an internship in two weeks, specifically in a marketing agency. I would like to give my best and be appreciated both professionally and personally right from the beginning, as my intention is to get an offer for a permanent job (which I was told is an option).

I have several internship experiences and received well-intentioned and valuable feedback from professors and tutors. From some less, from others more, the feedback always included that I was too reserved, not communicative enough with colleagues and didn't demonstrate my capabilities enough for others to see. Meaning I do have the technical skills, but my quietness and lack in assertiveness, undermine it. This presents especially a struggle to me because I'm a pretty career-oriented person and do want to contribute my share and climb the career ladder later on. I always internalized the feedback and tried to act differently, whenever a new station in life or situation required it, but it never lasted long, seemed fake and I turned to my natural state of being as the quiet introvert who loves to observe and only talk later about the important things, not much later. Only today, I received a notice of rejection for a different job (at a consultancy I have to mention) where the recruiter/senior consultant has explained to me that mainly my deliberate and non-extroverted personality was the reason they took someone else. I know that consultants are a different kind of breed, but still I'm a little frustrated, as this is not the first time I have been told this.

To sum up, from all of you INFJs I would like to know how and to what extend can you pretend behavior at work to make yourself likable? Especially, when actually you do like yourself pretty much the way you are and don't know how to change your introversion, that to me is engrained into my personality? My only wish is to make a great impression on colleagues, that is long-lasting and ends in a full-time job, while still staying true to my INFJ personality!!!

I'm looking forward to your replies :)

Best,

Lauren xxx

Reactions: David54
Be true to yourself and others.

In my previous job, I worked in accounting. On the very first day, it can be a bit overwhelming especially taking on new responsibilities and task. However, what helped was I wrote everything done in a composition notebook and asked as much questions as I can. Also, if the job you're is in a workplace with numerous coworkers I would try and remember a significant detail about them to remember their names and what they do. Which is a good way to build a friendly relationship. After that right it down just in case.

Also smiling helps too.

Reactions: David54
Here are 21 things you should do on the first day of your new job:
1. Prepare and ask questions.
2. Prepare an elevator pitch.
3. Show up early, but enter the building on time.
4. Figure out the social landscape.
5. Relax.
6. Smile.
7. Look and play the part.
8. Don't be shy.

Here are 21 things you should do on the first day of your new job:
1. Prepare and ask questions.
2. Prepare an elevator pitch.
3. Show up early, but enter the building on time.
4. Figure out the social landscape.
5. Relax.
6. Smile.
7. Look and play the part.
8. Don't be shy.
Don't be afraid and speak with your new colleagues. At my first job (I was a teacher of English at the school in Seattle) I was very nice on the first day of my work and made so many friends. Now I am just an online tutor and I speak only to my students). By the way if you want to know more about tutoring here is a good article yourmoneygeek.com.
I added some more info, my personal experience.

welcome to the family. . may you find what you seek. just thought. . maybe you are in the wrong career path. if you are truly introverted and that is a negative in this field, it will never be a true fit for you. there are plenty of paths where introversion is not an issue. just a thought. as a hiring manager for many years, my first week expectations were that you knew were the bathroom was, and how the coffee system worked, anything else I knew you'd forget in the newness of the experience anyway.

Reactions: Wyote