How to Express Oneself Through Fe | INFJ Forum

How to Express Oneself Through Fe

Stillwater

Nov 1, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I've been trying to understand my Fe auxiliary function and I read something interesting on Personality Junkie.com.

Dr. A.J. Drenth, the author of an article on Fe, says that, "For INFJ's, expressing themselves through their Fe is critical to their

psychological and physical health and well-being."

This makes sense to me but I'm trying to figure out how to go about doing it.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

I find that INFJs express their Fe through a general interest and concern about the well being of the world in general, followed by specific individuals second.

They also seem to express their Fe (and shadow function Fi?) by an aggressive stance toward feeling that they have the answers and if people would listen to their ideas about harmony and well-being the world would be a better place.

Not trying to dog on INFJs with that statement but there seems to be a blind eye when it comes to understanding boundaries between what is theoretically best and how people are. It is a stubborn streak which can cause personal anguish because they think that they have some kind of control over the mood/atmosphere of interpersonal situations and/or over the world. I see it in terms of when an INFJs expresses sadness/exasperation/anger about how "the world is".

I also don't think you "plan" how you express Fe in any rational sense. It is more about how you have developed to function in this world. The dominant Fe IS, it isn't a construct or something that is turned on or off.

They also seem to express their Fe (and shadow function Fi?) by an aggressive stance toward feeling that they have the answers and if people would listen to their ideas about harmony and well-being the world would be a better place.

I can relate to this as I seem to often want the world to be a certain way.

It would be nice if I could "plan" how I express my Fe auxiliary function. I guess I'm thinking like doing something that brings people together or creating harmony among others in some way.

I also don't think you "plan" how you express Fe in any rational sense. It is more about how you have developed to function in this world. The dominant Fe IS, it isn't a construct or something that is turned on or off.

I agree that you can't just turn a function on, but I think the main issue here is how one can develop Fe. Personally, my Fe is underdeveloped, leaving me in an unhealthy Ni-Ti loop. Like Stillwater, I'm interested in learning how to develop it; I don't remain stuck in this dominant-tertiary loop. Since I've been in this loop for over a year, I don't think waiting for it to develop on its own is going to do me any good. What are some ways to develop a better functioning Fe?

I have never had any problems with an underdeveloped Fe, but I've been a mom since I was 19 so I think that is something that definitely helps develop your Fe.

I had to read up on the idea of the Ni-Ti loop, but it seems to me that the best way to get out of your head and work on developing your Fe would be to go out and volunteer with people who need help; like children, elderly people, sick people or homeless people.

This might not be relevant - and I'm so new to this how Fe thing - but just from experience, once I get a better understanding of myself, I find my understanding and ability to read others' feelings is much better. I've found practicing mindfulness helps, or at least remembering to understand how my own feelings shape other perspective. I have read though, that INFJs feel extremely happy and rewarded when helping others with their own conflicts.

If you're looking to tap into your Fe and develop it, perhaps volunteering at a help line? Or even just sitting in a coffee shop and listening to others conversations...I use to do that, and have found it interesting...but now I just sound creepy.

Thanks guys for your insight and suggestions. You've mentioned some very interesting things.

I might be able to volunteer at a local non-profit that helps people learn to speak English. This could be a start on my journey to help in some way.

Say_What - that's interesting about the idea of helping others with their own conflicts. This makes sense to me. I'll keep a lookout for opportunities like this.

This might not be relevant - and I'm so new to this how Fe thing - but just from experience, once I get a better understanding of myself, I find my understanding and ability to read others' feelings is much better. I've found practicing mindfulness helps, or at least remembering to understand how my own feelings shape other perspective. I have read though, that INFJs feel extremely happy and rewarded when helping others with their own conflicts.

If you're looking to tap into your Fe and develop it, perhaps volunteering at a help line? Or even just sitting in a coffee shop and listening to others conversations...I use to do that, and have found it interesting...but now I just sound creepy.

With the INFJs I've seen, I think that this is definitely the case. Getting in touch with yourself and being mindful of how you are acting and reacting in the present is the key to developing yourself further. In my INFJ peers, I've observed that their Fe "abilities" seem to improve when they do things like work in public service positions or participate in team sports, where they are forced to respond to the emotions of others and to practice expressing themselves as well. Speaking to people who are able to understand the INFJ and to respond to their thoughts and emotional needs appropriately also helps develop their Fe. The thing is that it requires them to get out of their comfort zone a tiny bit. But in the long run, once they come to enjoy it they will realize that it helps them to be themselves more and to lead a more balanced life.

Reactions: Radiantshadow