How the world really works | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How the world really works

I didn’t say none have made money through talent and merit. I actually think premier league footballers deserve their high pay, because no one has to pay to see them or buy their merchandise etc. People create their wealth, and they have very rare, real skills. There will always be entrepreneurs and not all of them exploit others on their way up, although many do. The problem is as you say the ability to make money out of capital. The more money you have, the easier it becomes to get more. Thus talent and merit get swapped for craft and opportunity. This is a serious problem. It keeps the poor in poorly paid, hard jobs. But don’t worry, they and those on benefits are demonised by society to quiet the consciences of those better off.

Completely agree here, yes.

Having a lot of wealth allows you to generate cash flow almost without doing a single thing, while others have to slave 10 hours per day for less pay.

I do believe that the current income inequality/gap in unsustainable. It's not even good for the rich, because no one will be rich enough to buy their products/services lol. Also they will have to live in a walled garden inside the city because of too much crime/violence. Or they will move to Mars, I don't know.

NOTE - This thread actually could have been in politics or philosophy forum, as it really crosses subject boundaries.

This is very close to my own heart/mind. I have read quite a few books (and plenty unread so far) on how things get corrupted in society. I want to clarify exactly what I mean because I think this often gets misunderstood. I have to speak in generality because there is so much here and it is systemic right through society.

When people talk of corruption or things going wrong, they typically think of bad actors or mistakes. Imperfection is part of life and cannot be avoided. People get punished and systems reform (or die) and are replaced. In this naive view of the world, it makes sense to trust authority, experts, etc. Systems and checks and balances are in place to keep things working relatively smoothly (or as smoothly as possible) and there is no need for radical change.

This view is dangerously naive and wrong. In my experience of life and fairly extensive reading, it seems that every part of society and life is open to abuse, and is abused. Even authorities charged with spotting and eliminating corruption or errors, they are also flawed. A big part of this is when private enterprise is at the heart of an institution or company etc. I have been reading about the Drug Industry and how they actively ignore and even demonise natural treatments which are often better than the drug equivalents. This is just one example, I have read about the CJS in US locking people up unfairly to make more money, I have a book about the Holocaust Industry etc. etc.. It seems there is nowhere this endemic corruption isn't thriving, along with people happy to go along with it. Profits over people's welfare and lives and justice. It's a depressing picture. Bias in the news is not widely known about, but exists in even the best news channels (see medialens website for eg.).

But what is perhaps even more surprising/frustrating is the number of people unaware of this (probably mainly Sensors). My ISTJ brother, for eg. cannot believe that a doctor could actually prescribe you a drug which makes things worse for you, without everyone in the health industry and health service being in on a conspiracy. He cannot see how it is all the assumptions he is making in that statement which is where the errors are made (either through ignorance, lack of power, care or willful greed). Every gap is exploited. It's not simply about how good or well meaning each person is in the chain, it is the makeup of the chain which allows errors and corruption which is often almost invisible. But can these assumptions be challenged, or will MBTI limitations of Sensors always be a block? Is this mainly the fault of the mainly SJ world we live in?

Even the whole 'capitalist system' (I know it's more complex than that) to many seems optimum with it's own ethical core. This is also dangerously naive.

Sometimes this awareness has made me feel quite depressed because as an INFJ who cares a lot about these things, and wants to put them right, it feels like I am fighting a futile battle. Many great books have been written, yet the situation persists. It seems that if systems are improved, some people will still find a way round them. But none (or little) of it is inevitable. That's what frustrates me. The willfull ingorance and blind assumptions of many allow the system of abuses to persist, and people suffer as a result.

I think this is the kind of thing that frustrated Jesus. Evil is what men do, not just what a few rogue characters do. Artificial institutions will always be fundamantally flawed, irrespective of their objectives? Anyone have the answer? Are things slowly improving? Am I being too negative?

Capitalism will always support corruption because the pseudoscience of economics is predicated upon the assumption all participants are honest. Regulation which offsets that introduces unknowable complexity (so manufactures the appearance of an uninterfered market in which buyers, not sellers set prices), but competition does not stay fair and free in any marketplace, just like all governments are eventually corrupted because it is the nature of the corrupt for a self-interested desire to govern over others to arise within them, and just like peripheral psychopaths eventually misdirect the legitimacy of all social justice movements.

Judaism made a religion of entitlement to exploit the goyim 40 generations ago and it’s still going strong. They put themselves forth as the original master race – – “chosen people?! And a “Messiah“ with “disciples“?! Deific favor is a commonly recognized variant of delusions of grandeur.
AH was half Jewish. So what was that weird genetic superiority program thing doing tacked onto the h’caust’s genocide? AH wanted to steal the AshkeNAZIm’s act and destroy them because in all likelihood being half Jewish meant he knew enough about it to know they consider themselves a master race, but also meant that they’d likely cruelly excluded him (and maybe even ridiculed him) — bullying is torment torture and abuse, so it traumatizes…and prestobingo he’d have a retaliatory obsession.

All religion is gaslighting. If it had anything to do with god or truth (which is absolute not relative) it would never need to change position on any issue and would do something more about the evil in the world than smugly pointing it out and manufacturing enmity for other religions. It’s the oldest existing form of government and has persisted unconstrained by political or geographic boundary because people are dumb enough to value free advice and apparently are willing to suspend their disbelief when the stupid answer to their stupid question comes from a church.

The best way to ensure a question won’t be asked is to offer it’s answer beforehand. Religion does exactly that with pseudomoralistic rigidity that morally and intellectually enfeebles those who fall for it by reinforcing their abdication of responsibility to think for themselves. Nobody hands someone else an idea of God more in the interest of the recipient, duh. What would Jesus do about narcissism? Apparently he would model it as the star of the longest-running con in western recorded history.

The bibletext story of Jacob’s favoritism for Joseph and his self-interested remorseless solicitation of Esau’s forgiveness cinches it’s gaslighting intent to inflict inwardly-facing corrosive moral sabotage. Grooming the goyim. Forgiveness is not owed it is earned and it is only to the benefit of the perpetrator. Yes, victims do e the unworthy for the unforgivable — that’s why they’re still victims. If you disagree just bear in mind that even the made-up god of christianity doesn’t forgive the unrepentant. Rejection of all that is the only way out from within it as a survivor for those who did not become OF IT.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=folie+a+deux&
What biblical Mary likely inflicted upon her husband to cover up her infidelity or possible rape.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=folie+a+famille&
The delusion a child (in this example JofNazareth) would be defenseless to resist if his mother told him from birth she’d been knocked-up by an angel.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=folie+a+plusieurs&
The delusion of his so-called “disciples“ who reinforced that for him (and were something only other psychopaths like Charles Manson usually even cultivate). Delusion of deific lineage is just an extreme presentation of the most common delusion of grandeur ever — the delusion of deific favor

So, you do you but 1) the only “wise” people who lack humility are fraudulently wise (for example Sidhartha Gautama a.k.a. the Buddha who, though born a prince, and further inexperienced due to his youth…possessed no more common sense than to self-promote pseudoprofundities about materialism to the hungry) and 2) Seeing one’s way out from within the rational falsehood of organized religion is so difficult as to be unlikely precisely because of it’s heavy dependence upon non-consensual grooming, but any objective adult can figure out what early christians wanted to imagine had been a “resurrection” was more like a grave robbery his mother would have been among the most likely embellishers of after not minding letting the Romans kill him to keep her angelsmashing story intact

NOTE - This thread actually could have been in politics or philosophy forum, as it really crosses subject boundaries.

This is very close to my own heart/mind. I have read quite a few books (and plenty unread so far) on how things get corrupted in society. I want to clarify exactly what I mean because I think this often gets misunderstood. I have to speak in generality because there is so much here and it is systemic right through society.

When people talk of corruption or things going wrong, they typically think of bad actors or mistakes. Imperfection is part of life and cannot be avoided. People get punished and systems reform (or die) and are replaced. In this naive view of the world, it makes sense to trust authority, experts, etc. Systems and checks and balances are in place to keep things working relatively smoothly (or as smoothly as possible) and there is no need for radical change.

This view is dangerously naive and wrong. In my experience of life and fairly extensive reading, it seems that every part of society and life is open to abuse, and is abused. Even authorities charged with spotting and eliminating corruption or errors, they are also flawed. A big part of this is when private enterprise is at the heart of an institution or company etc. I have been reading about the Drug Industry and how they actively ignore and even demonise natural treatments which are often better than the drug equivalents. This is just one example, I have read about the CJS in US locking people up unfairly to make more money, I have a book about the Holocaust Industry etc. etc.. It seems there is nowhere this endemic corruption isn't thriving, along with people happy to go along with it. Profits over people's welfare and lives and justice. It's a depressing picture. Bias in the news is not widely known about, but exists in even the best news channels (see medialens website for eg.).

But what is perhaps even more surprising/frustrating is the number of people unaware of this (probably mainly Sensors). My ISTJ brother, for eg. cannot believe that a doctor could actually prescribe you a drug which makes things worse for you, without everyone in the health industry and health service being in on a conspiracy. He cannot see how it is all the assumptions he is making in that statement which is where the errors are made (either through ignorance, lack of power, care or willful greed). Every gap is exploited. It's not simply about how good or well meaning each person is in the chain, it is the makeup of the chain which allows errors and corruption which is often almost invisible. But can these assumptions be challenged, or will MBTI limitations of Sensors always be a block? Is this mainly the fault of the mainly SJ world we live in?

Even the whole 'capitalist system' (I know it's more complex than that) to many seems optimum with it's own ethical core. This is also dangerously naive.

Sometimes this awareness has made me feel quite depressed because as an INFJ who cares a lot about these things, and wants to put them right, it feels like I am fighting a futile battle. Many great books have been written, yet the situation persists. It seems that if systems are improved, some people will still find a way round them. But none (or little) of it is inevitable. That's what frustrates me. The willfull ingorance and blind assumptions of many allow the system of abuses to persist, and people suffer as a result.

I think this is the kind of thing that frustrated Jesus. Evil is what men do, not just what a few rogue characters do. Artificial institutions will always be fundamantally flawed, irrespective of their objectives? Anyone have the answer? Are things slowly improving? Am I being too negative?

God is the invention of people who can’t be accountable enough to those they’ve wronged to grow from unforgiveness. Accountability builds character but guaranteed forgiveness from some party who isn’t even the one screwed over — jeezispeople should keep their cuckoo (no shade) which is actually child abuse to themselves. One doesn’t have to believe in an afterlife to believe in God, but the reason the two are so inextricably linked is because nobody needs god except if he gives them some fairytale afterlife, duh. All of which kinda says what you REALLY need to know about mankind (speaking of the way the world works)

Some thoughts David - a lot of what I say is speculative because it's a very big topic:

I think that part of the problem is we find what is going wrong, and the evil that happens in the world, far more interesting and reportable than what is going right and the good that happens. So all the bad things get reported and few of the good things. News, fake or otherwise, about the bad things sells well, so they get repeated and analysed over and over again in the media, the internet and the intellectual publications, until we start to believe that the world is going to hell in a coal scuttle. Of course, that's not to say it's all untrue, but it's only a part of the story, and it's also going in the other direction at least as powerfully - it's just that we don't express this in such repeated and psychologically powerful ways. The result is that so many people feel their world is going badly all-wrong when it isn't. Another problem is that it diverts us away from hidden evil that doesn't get reported and festers away for years underground until it suddenly jumps out and surprises us - I suspect the war in The Ukraine is like that and it has burst quite a few illusions about ourselves in The West..

It seems to me that the western world today is materially way, way better than the world my parents grew up in for most people. We have it so good in the West that many folks in the rest of the world are trying to migrate and to live in our countries because life is so shitty in their own compared with ours. We live in a dream world compared with the lives over half the rest of the world have to endure. By constantly running ourselves down and focusing on our faults, we are likely to undermine the good that we do have, and eventually that will destroy it. Far better is to focus on our strengths - what is so good about our societies that makes them so appealing, and let's build on that. I don't mean ignore our faults, far from it, but let's put energy into recognising, preserving and building on our strengths even more strongly.

Some other thoughts.

There is no consensus on what makes a good society - people approach this issue from different value sets, and they compete where they do not align. You yourself seem to have fairly left wing values and some of these that are highly prized in left wing politics are see as wrong from alternative perspectives. There is no really satisfactory solution to this problem. In some parts of the world it is sorted by force majore and dictators or oligarchies determine which values will be the national ones. In the West, in the main, we solve it by democracy - the people choose periodically which values will prevail. This is not a bad compromise, but it comes with loads of issues too, because the periodic transition from one set of values to another comes with some chaos and plenty of costs.

Democracy is of course open to infiltration and exploitation by special interest groups, but it’s up to the people to recognise and deal with this in the way they vote. Something that no politician who wants to be elected can say is that ordinary people in large numbers can become corrupt, and vote for what is wrong and harmful. It isn’t always some great shadowy ‘Them’ who are pushing what is wrong in society, but large numbers of ordinary folks can do this too.

Of course, always, there will be clever or daring people who are compromised morally, or maybe just desperate, who will exploit any system of society values for their own gain. There are also the guys who are born to be autocratic barons and make and try to impose their own rules - I suspect that democracies have a better chance of controlling them than other systems, but they will always exist. They aren't all bad - they tend to generate wealth and security for others as well as themselves, but they definitely need controlling or they will do more harm than good and create imbalances. Personally, I'd rather have such people making good in a Western democracy where there are limits on the power they can obtain, than in a political system than cannot control them or even embraces them. It's fascinating to see how this worked with Trump - an archetypal robber baron who tried to be one in The White House and found that it wasn't possible. This was a triumph of democratic values though I doubt people see it that way just now.

On the other hand there are the guys who risk everything to get themselves a better life. In the UK we have problems with people dicing with death in small boats to get to England from France, because they want a better life and see our society as being that better life. This is illegal - and yet .... are they different from the people who sailed the Atlantic in crappy ships in the 17th Century for a better life? The ones who've made it to our country have solved so many problems and taken so many risks and shown such persistent dedication to get here - my guess is that many of these people are brilliant contributors once they settle in, and the fact they got here in spite of all the problems and risks proves it.

But .. and it's a big But ...

I really do find myself with @aeon in thinking that these issues are too great for me to assimilate and respond to as a simple imperative. Whatever choices are made collectively, the outcome will have flaws, because that is human nature both individually and collectively. It's hard looking at this stuff as an INFJ, because we feel the big picture deeply and we feel the flaws as something wrong and painful. But what can we do about it? There are two possibilities. We can do what The Buddha said and work out our own salvation with diligence. This means that we live the best life we can as a person within the world that is given to us - and for most people that is as hard as most of us can deal with, so there is no blame for not doing more. The other possibility is to engage with the collective and try to change things for the better. That can be done through either power or influence, and both can be effective and good, but they can also go wrong. Those of us who do engage with the collective and try to make changes are running risks. One of these is that it's ineffective - that's disheartening but not serious. Another is that we are effective, but then we find to our surprise that our solutions lead inevitably to unintended evil as well as some good, and the never-ending story continues.

Last edited:
There is massive danger in viewing the status quo as history simply repeating itself because the current situation is a deliberate stifling of natural Democratic forces. Any artificial distortion of such powerful forces will always cause a reaction and this explains much of the current general discontent. It is important people understand this, so they can see the best way forward. Ignorance of this will only make things worse.

Also, much of what happens relies on mass ignorance. This can change, to the benefit of everyone. It’s an often underestimated force, because thinking often can only see immediate, simple change. But societal change is a very gradual process, with occasional big shifts. I think in recent decades, political disengagement has allowed politicians to do their own thing, which also explains many of today’s problems. It is a constant battle which the elites always win by varying degrees. But in recent decades they’ve had it mostly their own way, aided by a biased, corrupt media happy to go along with personally demonising whole swathes of society.

Democracy itself has been hollowed out, that is why we need radical change. Traditional avenues are not open. Inequality is worse than ever. Society is best for most when things are more equal. Don’t believe the arguments on the right that we need poverty and inequality and we live in a meritocracy, it’s all lies.

Also, it's important to note that we are not limited by the intellectual powers of people. It is mainly the ignorance of the masses which holds us back. This is anything but inevitable, especially in our info rich society. Not everyone will want to know, but enough have more to gain from knowing than they do from remaining ignorant. The oppressed and exploited masses need to help themsleves by gaining understanding and developing solutions. The worse their plight becomes, the more likely they are to do this, or take to anarchy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jexocuha and John K
Also, it's important to note that we are not limited by the intellectual powers of people. It is mainly the ignorance of the masses which holds us back. This is anything but inevitable, especially in our info rich society. Not everyone will want to know, but enough have more to gain from knowing than they do from remaining ignorant. The oppressed and exploited masses need to help themsleves by gaining understanding and developing solutions. The worse their plight becomes, the more likely they are to do this, or take to anarchy.
I always think this is one of the most powerful scenes in this old familiar story:

Yes a modern translation could be “are there no benefits?? Are there no jobs??”

Great story, I always like to watch different versions of that classic tale.

We will never eradicate injustice and problems in society, but we should have moved beyond this in the west by now.

It's a wonderful, inspired story - like you I enjoy seeing various versions, and re-reading the original. To recognise how ignorance is at the deepest roots of what is wrong takes it into the special league of such tales.

“Market forces, not political majorities, will compel societies to reconfigure themselves in ways that public opinion will neither comprehend nor welcome.”

“Governments will ultimately have little choice but to treat populations in territories they serve more like customers, and less in the easy that organized criminals treat the victims of a shakedown racket.”

“Other things being equal, the more widely dispersed key technologies are, the more widely dispersed power will be, and the smaller the optimum scale of government.”

“The cybereconomy, rather than China, could well be the greatest economic phenomenon of the next thirty years.”

“When technology is mobile, and transactions occur in cyberspace, as they increasingly will do, governments will no longer be able to charge more for their services than they are worth to the people who pay for them.”

Some qutoes from the book "Sovereign Individual" that was written in the 90s.

“Market forces, not political majorities, will compel societies to reconfigure themselves in ways that public opinion will neither comprehend nor welcome.”

“Governments will ultimately have little choice but to treat populations in territories they serve more like customers, and less in the easy that organized criminals treat the victims of a shakedown racket.”

“Other things being equal, the more widely dispersed key technologies are, the more widely dispersed power will be, and the smaller the optimum scale of government.”

“The cybereconomy, rather than China, could well be the greatest economic phenomenon of the next thirty years.”

“When technology is mobile, and transactions occur in cyberspace, as they increasingly will do, governments will no longer be able to charge more for their services than they are worth to the people who pay for them.”

Some qutoes from the book "Sovereign Individual" that was written in the 90s.
Sounds like a right wing ideological book. Although we are in the middle of a technological revolution the world is far more local than the media would have us believe. I only see this localism increasing due to all the problems we are increasingly experiencing.
Emphasise in globalisation is all part of the neoliberal religion but it causes many problems. As we have seen with Brexit and Trump, populations are resisting what hasn’t generally benefitted them.

I don't care for labels. The difference between you and me is that you think neoliberalism and "greedy businessmen" are the source of all problems and inequality.

I think it's central banks and fiat currency.

You want more regulation and intervention, I want to make market for money free. Because there is no free market without free market for money.

Even 99% tax rates on rich would not solve our problems.

Reactions: Jexocuha
You have to know what most traditional businesses have cca 5% profit margins. That means for 100 million of revenue, they investors/owners get to "keep" 5 million. That is nothing compared to risk they took and investment they made. Businesses themselves are suffering and are actually turning more into charities. Especially in places like Japan where almost no business is allowed to go bust.

Digital businesses are different and have much larger profit margins. They have low labor costs and 0 marginal/variable cost. It costs Netflix nothing to add another subscriber.

That's what I think all the leftist books are missing. They are focusing on capitalists vs workers exploitation, but that's not even the case in the digital age. They are completely ignoring technology.

You cannot solve our issues with a policy change. We also cannot revert the last few decades of technological growth.

I think income inequality and general political, economic and cultural dominance by an overclass is the source of most of our problems.

We all benefit from a society which uses cooperation and common goals more than individual economic competition and exploitation.

The idea behind FMC/ neoliberalism is that we all get what we deserve when we compete. It’s a simplistic model only applicable to life forms as basic as bacteria. In real world society it means exploitation and dominance of a minority, mainly due to power imbalances than talent differences.

I’m not a fan in principle of progressive taxation because as I’m sure you would agree, it tends to penalise hard work and virtuous economic activity. But in practice, it is a practical and pragmatic necessity to achieve a functioning society, because genuinely virtuous economic activity is rare. We shouldn’t have masses of people on benefits because imo government should play a role in making jobs for people. And if there isn’t enough work, we should work fewer days imo. Let’s have some of the ‘leisure economy’ predicted in the 60s.

wrt banking regulation, I don’t have any strong opinions on that. I don’t know enough about it, except it’s pretty corrupt.

I’m not a fan in principle of progressive taxation because as I’m sure you would agree, it tends to penalise hard work and virtuous economic activity. But in practice, it is a practical and pragmatic necessity to achieve a functioning society, because genuinely virtuous economic activity is rare. We shouldn’t have masses of people on benefits because imo government should play a role in making jobs for people. And if there isn’t enough work, we should work fewer days imo. Let’s have some of the ‘leisure economy’ predicted in the 60s.

We'd have leisure economy if we embraced technology.

But now we have governments fighting technology by printing money and keeping unprofitable and unproductive businesses alive, just so people have jobs.

If we embrace technology, yes people would lose jobs, but prices would fall dramatically too to offset this. People cannot even comprehend what kind of deflation would happen. We will soon be able to 3d print almost everything we need for 1% of the current cost. No need for design, manufacturing, distribution, logistics...

Reactions: aeon

I rolled my eyes when I read the title. Now im just glad I read it.

Just watched "Gangs of New York" again. Great DVD! I suggest seeing it.

The right people and leadership with enough salt have not stood up yet. When they do, they will try to make things work together rather than continue to fight each other.

Take a man that is well-versed in what makes the world go around, for example. People might label him as being corrupt because he knows certain people. In our elections, he would be ruined. Even Jesus pointed out we were all sinners: "Let he that is among you without sin cast the first stone." That was from a man in a leadership role. We need leadership with understanding.

Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon