How many of you...

Atticus

Regular Poster
Feb 20, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Loyalist
How many of you have actually read Carl Gustav Jung's masterpiece 'Psychological Types'?

Or at least part of it.

If you did then what's your opinion about it?

Just out of curiosity.

As for me, I read parts of Chapter X which is the essence of the book, the general description of the types. I just decided to read the whole Chapter X - the book 'Comparative Economics' has been defeated by this in spite of the fact that I'm gonna have an exam next Monday.

Jung describes only three dichotomies out of four (E/I, S/N and T/F; J/P has been added later) and what we nowadays call dominant functions in it. But I think he really digs deep into these ideas, uses clear conceptual system detailed to the nail and so adds depth and meaning to them, makes you understand them on a lot higher level.

I have read it in whole relatively long time ago, and some parts of it, I reread recently. Some parts of it were hard to read, some were more fluid and easier to read.

The chapter that stayed with me the longest was probably the fourth where he gives his critique of Jordan's proposed types.

Jung describes only three dichotomies out of four (E/I, S/N and T/F; J/P has been added later) and what we nowadays call dominant functions in it. But I think he really digs deep into these ideas, uses clear conceptual system detailed to the nail and so adds depth and meaning to them, makes you understand them on a lot higher level.

I understood this chapter (I presume that you are referring to the tenth chapter) differently. There is S/N and T/F seen from the two ways they can exist, namely extroverted and introverted direction the function exists. This creates eight types, which combined with secondary function gives sixteen. There was nothing about J/P, at least not in my edition of the book.

Any chance I can read it online?

Well, I found Chapter X as a PDF for free, but I can't seem to remember where. You can purchase the whole book of course. I plan to invade the bookshops on the boulevard in Budapest, Hungary (where I live) though.

I have read it in whole relatively long time ago, and some parts of it, I reread recently. Some parts of it were hard to read, some were more fluid and easier to read.

The chapter that stayed with me the longest was probably the fourth where he gives his critique of Jordan's proposed types.

I understood this chapter (I presume that you are referring to the tenth chapter) differently. There is S/N and T/F seen from the two ways they can exist, namely extroverted and introverted direction the function exists. This creates eight types, which combined with secondary function gives sixteen. There was nothing about J/P, at least not in my edition of the book.

Yeah I referred to the tenth. And on 'added later' I meant added to the MBTI 'universe' later.

Reactions: Peppermint