[INFJ] - How Fast Are You to Judge? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] How Fast Are You to Judge?

PintoBean

Site Supporter
May 18, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
How fast are you to make a judgement? Are you usually right, or do you revise your conclusions sooner or later? This question is open-ended. You can relate to it interpersonally or with regards to news/current events/politics etc.

Zoom. Pew pew pew! Lightning fast. I'm ALWAYS wrong; there's no other way for me to be.

I am pretty similar. Though I'm right frequently enough that it discourages me from changing my snap judgment ways.

Reactions: invisible
Virtually instantaneous assessments of what I am encountering as: useful, practical, making-sense, not-making sense, beneficial, congruent, in-congruent, etc.

If I see a flower, I'll instantaneously decide what shade/tone/etc. best describes the colour, whether it is well-formed, how long it might last before wilting, if I like the perfume, who that I know might like it, whether I would want it, whether it is likely to be fertile (seed-producing), what kind of insect/bird might be attracted to it, if it has any place in my past memories - and what associations it might have, etc. The notion of just looking at it and experiencing the flower, without making judgements, or connections to other things is extremely outside my subjective experience.

Virtually instantaneous assessments of what I am encountering as: useful, practical, making-sense, not-making sense, beneficial, congruent, in-congruent, etc.

If I see a flower, I'll instantaneously decide what shade/tone/etc. best describes the colour, whether it is well-formed, how long it might last before wilting, if I like the perfume, who that I know might like it, whether I would want it, whether it is likely to be fertile (seed-producing), what kind of insect/bird might be attracted to it, if it has any place in my past memories - and what associations it might have, etc. The notion of just looking at it and experiencing the flower, without making judgements, or connections to other things is extremely outside my subjective experience.

Yes, I make aesthetic judgments pretty fast. Like or don't like, moves me, leaves me cold etc. I usually have to take some time later to reflect on what led me to my judgments though. I rarely reverse my judgement on an aesthetic matter.

Yes, I make aesthetic judgments pretty fast. Like or don't like, moves me, leaves me cold etc. I usually have to take some time later to reflect on what led me to my judgments though. I rarely reverse my judgement on an aesthetic matter.

How about practical matters?

When I come across an investment opportunity, I can't rest/sleep until I get my head around all the factors (intrinsic, extrinsic, personal, etc.) and firmly decide whether it is a good prospect.

I judge things before they even happen.

I'm serious. I have a tendency to imagine things that could possibly happen and I've already got my judgement for when it does happen. And it usually does happen eventually.

I still don't really fully understand my own sense of judgement. Most of the time I do a lot of pre judgement like [MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION] but I also very quickly scale back those initial thoughts and try to use them as one piece of the puzzle of my whole judgement if that makes sense.

Sometimes a gut reaction/feeling will be very overwhelming so I might give it more weight.

Sometimes if I'm familiar with something I'll use my experience bias more heavily.

I try really damn hard to hold off solid judgments but it's sometimes more difficult when my mind barrages me with instinctual input.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
As far as I can remember (consciously self-aware from 11 years of age), I judge everything and everyone (even myself!). I'm going to sound really arrogant but most of the time, I'm right. When I'm not, I have no problems with revising my thoughts, behaviour, being open to change and examining what was omitted and learning from those experiences.
[MENTION=13730]PintoBean[/MENTION] - what made you ask?

I have hard opinions about everything. I don't feel anything small and I form my opinions quickly. I know what I like/don't like, and why, and can make a decision around that easily.

I have pretty decent instincts about people/places/situations and I'm confident in trusting those instincts until proven otherwise.

If I think a decision needs research I'll wait to pass judgement until I understand the subject enough to form an educated opinion.

Most of the time my opinions are a strong "middle of the road". Living in a shade of gray where I can see the argument from both sides and my judgment on the topic falling somewhere around my idea of the ideal conclusion/situation.

Reactions: Wyote
Sometime's I am quick to judge. At others time's I can infuriate people by reserving my judgement for prolonged periods.

I'm usually right in about 80% of my quick judgments.

The other 20% make me feel very stupid, I kick myself, and spend a little time contemplating the negative consequences of such.

As an INTP, and 8w7.. The judgments that I make which are wrong, are usually due to me not having all the required data, and calling things prematurely.

The judgments that I make which are wrong, are usually due to me not having all the required data, and calling things prematurely.

True for most people I'm sure.

When it comes to people I have let go of judgement. I will make decisions and choices according to what I observe or sense but they are done without judgement. I feel much more open. loving and positive without casting judgement. At the same time I have learned what my boundaries are and to be comfortable with them and to realize that they are about me and no one else, which helps to be able to let go of judgement and still live in a world full of difficult people. Letting go of judging myself has also been central to finding some peace in this world.

When it comes to other things like aesthetics, art, literature, food, places...those I have no problem making judgements on. That's just personal taste.

I've met a huge variety of people in many different situations of types that most people won't experience. Certain qualities are hugely repulsive for me and I'm very good at spotting them. For example, arrogance. That quality is easy to spot once you learn how to recognise it. It's also like, one of the worst qualities a person can have. It colours everything that they do in the world, because it determines the way they relate to others. So it's good to be able to recognise it.

Anywhere you go there are people who are genuine, down-to-earth, real type people, with flaws, who are just doing their best... then there are the jerks. I've met drugged-out sweaty club rats who just really wanted to give me a hug and tell me they love me and they hope I'm OK... and I've met people in much "better" places who treated me like dog shit for absolutely no reason. I think everyone has had experiences like that.

I am not a mean, stingy person. I will give the benefit of the doubt, I will suspend my mistrust completely, I will wait and see what happens. I admit that I will also "shit test" people, and if people are authentic they will have no trouble passing a shit test, apart from probably being a bit cranky with me that I shit tested them. But... after the same shitty signs appear repeatedly I don't keep watching and waiting, I make a decision.

All it means is that we can never be friends. We can work together, but friendship will never happen. Not that those people would consider it a loss! It all works out very well.

How about practical matters?

When I come across an investment opportunity, I can't rest/sleep until I get my head around all the factors (intrinsic, extrinsic, personal, etc.) and firmly decide whether it is a good prospect.

I let my husband handle that stuff.

Reactions: Scientia
For me its not so much of an issue about how fast I judge but how willing I am to be flexible about judgements Ive made if the situation presents itself. I think my judgements of people are a representation of my beliefs and value system. For example, I have strong judgements towards rapists, child molesters, murderers, etc., but my judgements of people who don't fall into what I consider an extreme category are more flexible and open to change.

Then we get into what falls into an extreme category. I think what is considered extreme would probably be different for everyone based on their set of beliefs and values. What I would judge harshly someone else might be more flexible about and the judgements I am flexible about someone else might be more rigid about. Then there might be exceptions to an extreme situation that would force me to re-evaluate my judgment.

I am aware that I take in information about a person at that first meeting, however, I suspend judgment itself until the person acts a certain way. If the person acts in the way I suspected, I do judge.

I have made snap judgments that saved lives. Those are usually easy, as there is but one answer that can stop the onslought. I wouldn't want to be the one to carry it out. I was much younger.

I am fair with my judgments. I was always known for this in my inner circle.

Now? I watch things happen. Only give a nudge when needed. Things work better this way. Sometimes I look the other way. A beautiful woman leaned over to talk to someone sitting down last night and I looked away. I looked away a lot last night, though something made me want to look and interact. I tried my best to be fair, but not fair to myself.